If I had a ? machine, i would make a ? widget (manufacturing machines only please)

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by psychobunny, Feb 13, 2017.

1. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Just for a bit of fun, I thought i'd set this up.

Lots of people want 3d printers, cnc routers, laser engravers/cutters, etc. I was one of them, and now i have a cnc router.

Many people here have one of these machines, if so, pick a machine you dont have

I'll start.

If i had a laser engraver i would use it to cut out gears and make a clock

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

How vague can we be?
    My first thought of this was a nice shed/room so I could actually have all the stuff that I own in a spot I can actually use it instead of 250km away, milling machine, lathe, MIG welder, bandsaw, untold numbers of hand/power tools etc.

For a better answer it'd be a laser as well though for making PCB's for many a project that start and never finish.

3. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

if i had a metal lathe, i would make model steam engines, air pumps, steampunk looking things that reciprocate, air compressors, pulleys.

4. Rass

Rass Member

if I had a high end laser cutter or CNC milling machine... i would make coin striking dies. I would also cut out knife blanks (and maybe partially shape them). Plus engrave nice patterns on the knives.

If I had a good quality CNC engraver (capable of engraving soft metals, cutting plastics and wood), I would make embellished decorative parts for furniture/housewares and cool cases for my electronic projects, customised boxes for storing my tools and toys and carving wax models as well as molds for casting.

If I had a good quality laster cutter/engraver, I would use it to cut leather for my leather working hobbies, engrave/decorate wooden boxes and cases for my projects or customising gifts.

If I had an inexpensive CNC engraver that could only do soft woods and plastics, I would use it similarly to above - making or decorating cases and boxes, as well as making molds and models for casting (both resin and metal casts). I would also tool around with making things like keychains and fancy labels. I'd also see if I could convert it to a laser marker, so I could try burning designs into leather, wood and other materials to help customise projects.

If I had a good 3d printer, I would use it to make cases for my projects, experiment with making molds or masters for casting, and prototypes for whatever took my fancy (most likely thinks like geared mechanisms that can be interacted with, given away or added to create physical interfaces to computing).

If I had a bad quality 3d printer, I would make a mess.

5. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

You must like the smell of burnt hair... did this once and it was horrible! if you wet the leather though the engraving of it comes up well

6. Rass

Rass Member

I hadn't thought about that; however I get the feeling if I was getting a decent quality laser cutter/engraver, I would definitely be looking at awesome venting and filtering.

7. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

If I had a decent CNC mill, I'd use it to cut carbon fiber sheet and mill aluminium to build big drones!

8. tunksy

tunksy Member

If i had a cnc mill.... id make custome heatsinks for my computing gear

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If I had a CNC machine I'd make a dozen bartop RPi powered arcade machines for my friends.

If I had a 3D printer I'd make a dozen handheld RPi powered game machines (handheld and under-TV) for my friends.

10. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Plenty off old skool manual machines that I would like & would have a use for before getting some cnc googies
    making 1 0ff/custom cars/rods;)

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

If I had a CNC, a 5 pivot point milling machine and a laser engraver I would go mass production with my audio business, rather than sourcing stuff from overseas.

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, im in the 'bigger garage' category as well. That way i could move the lathe, mill, bandsaw, jointer and tablesaw over here. Then again i do have a decent sized setup already.

Next on the list for me is probably a CNC router/laser cutter.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

First on my list would be a decent shed, but I don't have a large enough yard. Then I think I'd love to have a selection of lathes. Never actually used one, but I want so much.... carving steel and wood, love it.

A 3d printer would be way cool too. So many plastic things get thrown away because of a simple plastic part crapping itself.. so many interesting things to make for the inside of a PC.. it would never stop printing !!

14. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

If I had a/an [insert machine here] I'd still be fucking useless. :lol:

15. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

If I had a time machine, I'd get next weeks lotto jackpots numbers. Then I could buy any widget I wanted.

16. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Just like your post

right.... i guess i'll edit the OP

17. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Jeez... was just a joke dude. You did say in your OP that it was just for fun!

18. JackalGuru

JackalGuru Member

A CNC router that I could use to build arcade cabinets with. Or a larger laser since my current laser is too small and too low power and generally too inflexible for some of the things I want to do.

A CNC engraving machine would be good for doing tags that the laser can't do too.

19. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I have a lathe, mill, 3d printer and CNC router and if I had any spare time, I'd use them.

20. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Happy to take them off your hands and put them to use :p