Intel Skylake-X/Kabylake-X (LGA2066) and X299 Chipset Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Court Jester, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

well Since there is not a thread up about this so far and the reviews are starting to roll in its a good time to start one :

Reviews so far:
    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/1

Anantech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11550...ew-core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-x-sky...x299-platform/
    https://videocardz.com/70372/intel-h...review-roundup

It is looking like it is going to firmly beat Ryzen based systems in IPC and OC headroom,

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. Supersize

Supersize Member

What concerns me is it's not beating it's Intel counterpart, the 6950x.
    Even with a bigger overclock on the 7900x, the 6950x is beating it in gaming.

7900x@ 4.6Ghz Handbrake encode = 53 seconds.
    6950x@ 4.4Ghz Handbrake encode = 58 seconds.

It's basically trading blows with it.
    Now if the 7900k ends up cheaper than the 6950x it would make sense to go with it.

I'm curious of the 7820x's performance next to the Ryzen 8 core counterparts,
    because if the released Intel prices are true it's going to cost more than the 1800x (probably have way less memory compatibility problems though..lol).

In saying that I myself will probably end up with one over a Ryzen build due to the 1080p gaming performance, I want to sit on my GTX1080/1080p@144hz until Volta drops anyway.

Next week we will hopefully see a full range of the new CPU's tested.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I ahve my eye on the i7-7800 -- 6 Intel cores @ 4.5ghz+ should give a 8 core ryzen(even 4ghz) a run for its money at that price. considering single thread performance on teh Intel is 15%+++ better

Just waiting for preorders here to open and board prices to see what they are like.

4. OJR

OJR Member

What the hell is a Sandy Skylake?

If you're going to start a circle jerk fanboy post, at least get the title right.

5. thecondor

thecondor Member

"So, we've established that the Core i9-7900X is potentially a great overclocker and has superb performance at stock speed too, but what about Intel versus AMD? Well, in games such as Fallout 4, there's still very little difference. The Ryzen 7 1800X was a little slower in Ashes of the Singularity and Deus Ex, even when overclocked. However, the real question is value. The Core i9-7900X is more than twice the price of the Ryzen 7 1800X, yet in Terragen 4, Cinebench, and HandBrake and in games, it's far from being twice as fast. In fact, the deficits are almost exactly what we'd expect from a two-core/four-thread deficit.
    "

Maybe you should have read this piece from the exact review you linked.

So you are going to pay twice as much for slightly better performace? TAKE MY MONEY. :lol::lol::lol:

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

15%+++ lol okay.

7. Bertross

Bertross Member

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

and again :thumbup:

16 cores from AMD for $850 USD any day of the week, who cares about IPC when you have 16 cores with 64 lanes.... Woooo :wired:

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Anyway I think it's hard to get excited about X299 when AMD has Threadripper on the horizon. Most people would be waiting and seeing how it compares to that.

9. Bertross

Bertross Member

Their is absolutely nothing to be excited about intel at all. In any regions of their CPU release for the next 12 months. Coffee lake, what a joke. Might as well cancel it.

Bring on Threadripper :D

10. Supersize

Supersize Member

And then you have people like me who want something to last longer than 12 months stuck in the "what's going to be better in the long run" zone.

I don't want to muck around with memory tweaking like what has to happen with Ryzen build, I can buy some 3200Mhz DDR4 wack it in and it works at 3200Mhz on Intel.
    A simple all core +100Mhz overclock and just know it'll work.

Shit's me how Intel has cheaped out with the Thermal paste and not solder to save a buck.

I'd love to see Threadripper in action, never buy one though overkill for me.

Have to give AMD a :thumbup: for getting Intel to drop their prices though, I could bet my left nut they would of had the pricing as high as they did for Broadwell-E.

11. OJR

OJR Member

They haven't though. Their whole line up is a mess from pricing to feature set.

12. Supersize

Supersize Member

The Kabylake X is weird, why would they even bother, unless they know they screwed up the current z270/Kabylake line (Temp spike is something common).
    I don't buy this "buy 4 core Kabylake now, upgrade to more cores later" bullshit.

I've just been researching at lot lately for my July build, what puts me off Ryzen a bit if the "roll of the dice luck" when it comes to memory even now.
    Heck I've seen people having problems with the 3200Mhz Flare-X getting them to run at the rated speed.

I just know that it will on a Intel platform.

Time will tell though, but from seeing the early 7900x benchmarks, it's nothing to get excited about over Broadwell-E

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

Absoluty more in certain scenarios

here: https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/4

Cpu Z single thread

The stock performance is 12.5% better single threaded

the overclocked performance vs overclocked performance is 18% better than the 1800X

and here: https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/5

Cine bench R15

Single threaded performance stock vs stock the intel is ahead of the Ryzen by 19%

Overclocked vs overclocked the Intel CPu is ahead of the 1800x by 23%

so its massive single threaded advantage is in some cases well over 15% difference

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

we know how rougly how thread ripper will perform there are no changes to the core / IPC so will be like adding more cores to Ryzen

I am not interested in 16 cores or spending over $1k AUD on a CPU the 6 core 7800 will be the best bang for ya buck I believe, the reviews I believe will show it beating a 1800X soundly for a much lower cost and the word on the street is newer BIOSes add to this performance we are seeing here which we will see in the "Intel sanctioned" reviews

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Are you talking about the 7900X vs the 1800X? You are comparing a $1000 USD cpu to one that costs $460 USD. Are you saying the 6 core CPU will have the same performance as the 10 core?

16. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

no but I will pay for a i7 7800 with 6 cores which will cost less than a Ryzen 1800x and will be superior in single threaded performance by a good margin and overclock higher and probably be generally all round a better CPU / system.

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

single threaded only I am talking about so 1 core vs 1 core which will be teh same on all sandy lake X chips -- absolutely dominate Ryzen

and saying overall from my back of teh envelope calculations I believe the 6 core 7800 will be as fast as the Ryzen 1800X when it is reviewed from what we are seeing on the 10 core chips in this early review, especially when overclocked -- which the 6 core should be able to hit even higher clocks than the 10 core that was reviewed

18. OJR

OJR Member

Like Intel, you are a mess mate. :lol:

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yeah, I was lazy and copied + the existing thread title and missed that its all fixed up now :)

Ill concede the kaby lake X on the x299 platform is a bit of an odd decision by Intel, but I do think they will sell well especially if they are overclocking monsters as have been reported so far and the motherboards are not astronomically expensive for an entry level board.

20. Bertross

Bertross Member

whatever you spend on anything decent on the x299 platform you might as well put extra into a GPU if you game. Best buying into Ryzen be it a 1700x and X370/B350 unless you need more than 28 PCI-E lanes. Going Intel is not the smartest move if you need raid/more lanes/value.

Threadripper takes all issues out of buying choice VS the X299 platform. Besides if you're planning on requiring 8 cores (id argue if you only want 8 buy Ryzen 7) what are your purposes intended with high IPC anyways? You're best investing into more cores and Memory if workloads are your main objective.

If they are gaming only buy a 1600x and 1080ti????

Their is no scenario in my day to day work or gaming load that requires intel within a reasonible budget with the features from Ryzen provided. Anything on currently on the market on x99 or skylake is simply to expensive for what you get. Id rather save the premium on Intel current 8 cores Broadwell lineup and add 16GB more RAM into my build and put extra into something else like a better GPU or LCD or pocket etc.....

I dont hardly overclock and i dont see the real point anyways. If you need to overclock to make up for missing performance buy something better like more cores. I hardly talk about gaming performance on CPU's as i dont care for reaching that 144 + Frames. That's all on the GPU IMO... re above on money.

As for previous comments on Memory on Ryzen they are pretty much ironed out as far as i know. Ive been sitting on my rated speeds on my Tridents for months now and this baby boots fast and i never have had this system crash! 10 hours of The Witcher 3 over the weekend and no performance complaints.