iRacing

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by aXLe, Jun 26, 2008.

1. aXLe

aXLe Member

Any fellow OCAUer's signed up yet for iRacing?

I got an invite this morning for the initial post Beta intake. I've been looking forward to this one forever - installing atm!

UPDATE 29/08/12 :

OCAU iRacing wiki page
    OCAU iRacing Social Group

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. dataGecko

dataGecko Member

Looking forward to hearing how the setup goes. Could be a long and sleepless night I suspect. ;-)

3. Ospi

Ospi Member

After playing the Historix mod for rf all day, iRacing is going to have to be fkn brilliant to force me to pay a monthly fee. Though knowing who is behind it, it has every chance of being just that.

4. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

iRacing? What's this about?

5. Sub_Atomic

Sub_Atomic Member

1 thing that shits me:

Having to BUY tracks and cars. I don't really care much about the monthly fee, but having to pay for tracks and vehicles? No thanks.

Even in the videos I've seen of iRacing the total comes to like $200, that's stupidly steep for a game that will have "updated tracks you can buy". Seems like bit of a rip to me.

6. Ospi

Ospi Member

yeah and I honestly don't see it being that much better than RF or LFS anyway which more than keep me occupied.

Speaking to a few people beta testing it, they aren't blown out of the water either, they say it is very good, but probably not good enough to warrant to ridiculous pricing of the product.

7. aXLe

aXLe Member

Well, $13 per month isnt THAT ridiculous (albeit to get that price you've got to shell it out in one hit of US$156 for a years subscription). If you do go for a years subscription you get $60 credits to put toward content or subscription renewal though. You get the initial 2 cars and 7 tracks (I think) included at no extra cost.

And really, to get going you dont need to buy anything else. In fact, you can't until your license reaches a sufficient level where you need or can use the content.

I do like the idea of the safety rating - you advance to another license level if your personal safety rating (calculated against incidents per corner negotiated) is at a certain level at the completion of a season (12 weeks). To be eligible for other classes (such as open wheelers) your safety rating must reach a certain level, and then you have to keep it there else you go back down the ladder again. Different incidents have differing points awarded against them - off track, hitting a vehicle, losing control, etc

Also they class the field based on your rating so you are racing against drivers at the same skill level.

I havent actually raced yet - just practising to get my lap time down, then I'll start racing. Enjoying it so far though!

Installation was easy - download an initial installer of approx 150MB, then once you are in you calibrate video and controller and then update the content (cars and tracks) which was approx 590MB. I love the web interface - very well done.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  8. The Sculpturer

The Sculpturer (Banned or Deleted)

9. SID135

SID135 Member

http://iracing.com/

I also got an invite, but alas I cant play until I get my CC working. :(

Can't wait tho, a few people I know who got in also are loving it. Bar the track/car prices (which I don't mind too much, as long as they are good quality)

I think it could build up to some great racing. Apparently the netcode is quite smooth, you don't even notice 300ms pings on servers. No more eurolag! YAY! :thumbup:

10. Olle_34

Olle_34 Member

Got the invite but would really like to know if its any good b4 i shell out more $$$
    You know the drill :)
    Gfx physics cars setups tracks etc ?????

11. aXLe

aXLe Member

You only have to shell out USD$20 first up - 1 month and see what you think. You can suspend your membership indefinately and come back at any time - all your content will still be available.

Probably best to read the review in the latest AutoSimSport : http://www.autosimsport.net/ Quite a few pages there from 3 different reviewers - well worth a read.

Also a video review here : http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zbAC-PV3lZI Shows off the web interface, which I really like.

I've only just got started with it, but enjoying it so far. I'm running with 8800GTS 512MB and it runs great.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  12. Olle_34

Olle_34 Member

Thanks for the links/info aXLe but i might let it slide for a while yet till i find out if many from 0Z join up :)
    BUT i just might install NR2003 for some Lowes goodness :) (gfx look very similar)

13. Ospi

Ospi Member

graphics look meh, have nothing on what i'm playing atm in RF with mid-ohio in the historix. Also it seems modding is not possible like with LFS and it has a similar data collection system as LFS which is fantastic. Cars look like they handle as expected really, up with with LFS and good RF mods which will be nice.

However $60 a year and then needing to pay another $15 for each car and track imo is a fucking joke and completely unnecessary. Honestly, from what I have seen it is just not worth it, but I will definitely give it a try when I get the chance.

14. aXLe

aXLe Member

Make that $160 per year :) You are right - not cheap. I guess laser scanning all the tracks makes it a pretty expensive exercise, but I have faith in the team behind it. I've just gone with the initial month membership, and I'll take it from there.

I'm also going to give rFactor a go - that Historix mod looks awesome. Did the models come from GT Legends? I mean they use the same engine and all dont they? ISI? I have GT Legends, GTR2, LFS, but havent bought rFactor yet. At $50 it seems quite the bargain compared with iRacing, but I'm curious to see if the physics are improved over the Simbin sims based on the same engine.

15. leechy

leechy Member

I was lucky enough to be in the 2nd wave of beta testers.
    Once you have been driving Iracing, it is very hard to go back to Rfactor.
    Cars in Iracing are alot more alive.
    Give the 1 month subscription a go, if you don't like it don't renew.
    If you buy a years subs, you get $60 which you can put towards cars/tracks or your next subscripition.
    There are at least 50 Aussies signed up so far.

Cheers

16. Ospi

Ospi Member

Well the physics all come down to the people making the mod so it varies. The physics in the Historix mod are fantastic though. As for the laser scanning of the tracks, it is really cool and makes the tracks very accurate, but in the big scheme of things, how much does it actually matter if you play a track which is so minimally inaccurate it doesn't even matter?

As for Historix models, I believe some were imported and some scratch made though ridiculous amounts of effort went into getting the details perfect which they have done well.

I would easily buy that mod alone for $50, but add to that hundreds of other mods to choose from and it shows how much a bargain RF really is.

oh and I uploaded an onboard lap from the Historix mod around Mid-Ohio here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4eptc6Sy0Y

17. jarryd98

jarryd98 Member

I'm not really interested in paying a monthly fee for something I can get for free right now.
    Not to mention the fact that there aren't many tracks/cars available, and no community developed/third party addons.
    Right now, it's looking as if Iracing is too dependant on licensing.

Edit: + Once these come out, it's going to take something pretty spectacular to tear me away from Rfactor:
    - http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=1970%20World%20Sports%20Car%20Championship
    - http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Endurance%20Series

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  18. Ospi

Ospi Member

Yeah they look brilliant. Oi we need to do some racing with the historiX.

19. jarryd98

jarryd98 Member

Ehem...Somebody needs to send me a GTL disk then.

20. slobber

slobber Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008