KDE Neon no sound

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Statitica, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Statitica

Statitica Member

I just finished setting up my laptop - previously running Ubuntu MATE - as a dual boot machine, and opted to go with KDE Neon instead of Ubuntu MATE. Everything seems to be working quite well, apart from the complete lack of any sound, in any applications, even though the system says it is outputting sound, and the right device is selected.

Any ideas?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Click the KDE menu -> System Preferences

Go to the "Multimedia" section, click "Audio and video". You should be in the "Phonon Audio and Video" section.

In there is all of the phonon sound routing options, which are another step you need to do for KDE to make sure application classes are sending their audio to specific devices. You can do things like send music to one output, video chats to another, and generic sound to something else if you like. Handy if you've got a mix of audio equipment hooked up to your PC, although a little confusing at times if you're used to more straight forward audio like in Unity.

You'll need to go through every single class and subclass to make sure it's all sane.

3. Statitica

Statitica Member

This resolved itself somehow.

To be honest, I'm having more buggy performance out of this, than I've ever seen from any other installation - apps keep crashing, the cursor was glitching out, the sessions manager locked up 3 times, and various other bits and pieces are going awry.

Beginning to wonder if the installation media didn't get corrupted.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Which version of KDE Neon did you install? I'd recommend the LTS version, as it's based on the stable code base. The other versions are more designed for people who want to test new features.

5. Statitica

Statitica Member

Yeah, I'm running the LTS version.

On a side note, I'm not overly keen on having another package manager (pckon); wouldn't it have been possible to have it all done through apt repositories?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017