LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. damnation

damnation Member

Hi, lookin' to buy a new flashlight, my old mobile was my old flashlight now i've sold it i'm in the dark

recently looking at some websites, who are selling LED flashlights. I want something powerful, but not too expensive.

How often does one have to charge/ get new batteries for .. say.. a 5watt LED flashlight?
    Also, some say that the flashlights are AA batteries but at the same time require 3.6v.
    ie: http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ultrafirereg-cree-1xaa36v-rechargeable-p-615.html

Does this mean it's some special AA battery or just standard? It's my understanding that all AA's are 1.5volt.

Also, if anyone has got any flashlights to suggest for the sub $30 mark, preferrably sub $20, fill me in.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Gimp (WTE)

Gimp (WTE) Member

3. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

4. fergo

fergo Member

Does it look like it might be possible to upgrade the LED in this model (with a soldering iron)? I can't tell from the pictures on the website if you can pull apart the lighting assembly.

The reason I ask is I've just bought a Cree Q5 which is quite a bit brighter than the P4, and might want to swap it out if I buy this light.

5. damnation

damnation Member

thanks for the help and suggestions

i bought a C3 the other day, damn fine lights.

apparantly you can upgrade the LED by changing the 'star' (which is the LED and the circuitry / PCB) with a newer 'star' from dealextreme

6. Rollsta

Rollsta Member

anyone know what the strongest light output is for a 2xaa or 2xaaa battery torch?
    link too if possible

7. fergo

fergo Member

Well, I've ordered a Q5 Cree star from Dealextreme and the C3 so I'll report back if I have any luck upgrading it.

8. damnation

damnation Member

and ill give a second opinion on the c3 :)

9. damnation

damnation Member

waiting about two weeks since i've ordered from dealextreme, havent received the flashlight, their tracking service still says it's processing.. odd.

anyone who's dealt with dealextreme before able to tell me about the accuracy of their tracking system/ wether it works at all? tanks

10. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

FWIW I have the Photon Microlight. Fits on a keyring, and is bloody impressive.

Used it at cousins acreage in pitch darkness and could see quite well into the distance. Very impressive :)

11. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

I have had a few things shipped from DealExtreme before, and time from ordering to delivery has ranged from 1.5weeks to 2-3weeks. My last order came in stages as they were out of stock with some things. I can't say if their tracking notifier thing was working as I don't remember.

Looks like I am going to be getting a new torch sometime soon haha.

12. intrasonic

intrasonic Member

I faced this same dilemma earlier this year, overwhelmed with choices.

I currently own two Cree LED torches from dealextreme. One 1xAA MXDL and a 2xAA Ultrafire WF-606A

When it comes to 2xAA form, I went for the WF-606A. DX have two versions, a black and grey/silver. I fell in love with the gunmetal grey finish. Looks a bit more like the 2xAA minimag and has a larger reflector than some other 2xAA crees.

[​IMG]

Comparisons also show it to be visibly brighter than the C3.

Overall build quality is very nice, but I have one slight problem. The battery tube is abit narrow, so most AA batteries will fit very snuggly while others may not fit at all. I learnt the hard way after buying some 2700mah "Ritmo' AA's from msy that were ever so slightly too thick. My other off-brand 2200mah ones work fine.

Also have a set of AA Sanyo Eneloop batteries on the way, which are confirmed to fit well. Though only rated to 2000mah or so, they have a very low self discharge rate (max 15% per year) so are great for leaving in torches etc for intermittent or emergency use. I normally leave the torch in my everyday bag but with regular nimh batteries, they go flat by themselves after few months, if not weeks.

A good mate (another forum member actually) recently received his C3, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I guess if it doesn't suffer from the iffy battery tube as well, it could be the safer option. Slightly less brightness but perhaps better battery compatibility. Will confirm later.

Better yet, just by both and start a collection :D

13. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Picked mine up today and would have to say the build quality is ok but no where near maglite quality , It was about exactly what I expected . Tried a few different batteries , powerizer 2300 , powerex 2700 , energizer 2500 and they all fit . Having never used an led torch before was amazed by the brightness .

Order took 2 1/2 weeks to Perth . Ordered a couple of other things the same day but they were not in the same package .

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  14. intrasonic

intrasonic Member

Don't actually own a maglite but from what I can tell, I don't think its fair to compare the two when it comes to actual build quality. I like the look of the ultrafire more, but being a $20 torch, I don't know how "truckproof" it'd be compared to a maglite.

There are some official Maglite LED versions but iirc they use the older Luxeon LEDs which aren't as good as the latest generation Cree or Seoul.

15. shiny1

shiny1 Member

I have a C3 torch with the extra battery compartment so it can fit 2 instead of 1 AA. It makes a solid difference. I might put some pics up later.

Ordered it from Deal Extreme WITH the extra battery compartment for about $20 AU.

It's actually quite small with just 1 battery, about the size of your middle finger (bit longer), and only a little thicker than an AA sized battery (with a torch head)

The overall build quality is excellent, and it really feels a lot more expensive than it looks. Add the extra battery compartment, and you'll be adding an AA battery's length (and a bit extra), but it feels very solid and of high quality once you're holding it. I think it only comes in black and it looks very snazzy. If you hold it in your hand from the bottom, perhaps a few cm + the head will stick out.

As for the parts that can be unscrewed (head, middle, extra battery section, end), they are pre-lubricated and feel very smooth to screw on. Play around with it too much and you may need to lube it yourself.

I must say, the C3 torch looks quite weird with just 1 battery. It's too short. I have mine on 2 AA anyway.

The clicker to turn it on is sound and firm. No worries there.

The light itself is quite bright. I compared it to an older LED torch - you may know it as the Police 12 LED torch. Bought it for $30 back in the day. Was awesome then, but now, the C3's brightness of a single LED outshines the Police torch. At night you can see the beam and I've shined it down the street. It's pretty intense and houses still get a bright white light shone upon it around 20-30m away.

I keep this baby in my glove box, just in case I ever need it. It's always in a mini-pouch so I treat it well. It's just so expensive-looking to be tossed around (I hate getting marks on my shit). That said, I'm afraid I can't describe the ruggedness and the C3's ability to withstand punishment.

Hope it helps.
    PS: I didn't get a holster for it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  16. quirdan

quirdan Member

2xAA

180 Lumens: Fenix L2D Q5
    175 Lumens: Fenix L2D Rebel 100

They use different brands of LEDs. Just like the Coca-Cola/Pepsi debate, it's down to personal preference.

These lights are incredibly bright. You can get them locally from www.torchworld.com.au (not sure about the availability of the Q5)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  17. jakiman

jakiman Member

I've been buying a lot of flashlights from DX/KD recently and have written up a round-up review at CPF.
    Some may find it useful as there's so many to choose from at DX and dunno which one to buy.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176577

I'm still expecting a few more lights to arrive so keep checking. :D

For small bright lights, you need to use Lithiums as a single AA battery just doesn't cut it.
    My current favourites are Romisen RC-F4 and Mini 3W Cree as they are bright and not big.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  18. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

I just got a WF-600 from DX

OMG its amazing, much brighter than my Dolphin light and it throws further, even better that its so small compared :D

Lights up stuff for a few hundred meters

19. puppet27

puppet27 Member

20. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Recently got the MTE 5-Mode Rebel 100bin AA light. Quite bright for the size, although not super focused, so doesn't have a huge throw. Worth a look.