LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. holdenfanatic

holdenfanatic Member

ive got a nitecore hc60 and its great, 1000 lumens and usb charging 18650 battery

2. Copie

Copie Member

And I've got a Fenix HL60R also fantastic

The nitcore can be had for 68usd delivered and the Fenix for 77 usd delivered both from Amazon.

Much cheaper then local pricing

3. timsarg

timsarg Member

guys i need a couple of good but cheap led torches for the kids when camping . debating head vs handheld . What would you recommend . Robust as well :p

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I got a bunch of these ages back during some crazy sale:

http://www.dx.com/p/singfire-sf-522...-light-headlamp-black-silver-2-x-18650-170615

Very bright, comfortable enough (perhaps a little loose, but you know, gravity..) and very good run time from the 2x18650's. Also has a nice red glow at the back. I keep one in my tool kit for work and one I use for dog walking at home. Gave my old man and my brother one each as well, all still working.

5. AzzurrA

AzzurrA Member

Ended up ordering a Nitecore P20

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Nice choice. I particularly like the duty belt holster you can get for it, clip in holder + spare battery. I also like the modes it comes with. I have an LED Lenser M14 I keep in a 'tactical' model, highest brightness + strobe at the touch of a button if needed.

7. timsarg

timsarg Member

thanks evil , i'll look at those cheers

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Can somebody recommend something brighter than this (it doesn't need to illuminate the moon, but needs to be brighter than the 120 lumens of this one), but with a similar sized lens part (the glass part measures about 3.5cm in diameter) which isn't insanely expensive and which can be bought locally or easily from an Australian shop? Thanks.
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Ridge-Ryder-Torch-Aluminium-LED-2C/375612

9. Copie

Copie Member

Nitecore MT26.

But why do you need a similar lense size? unless your using it for some really specific purpose (ie tactical light on a firearm) anything will suit within reason.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look at it.
    yep.

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

broccoli, closet operator :lol:

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

What's that mean? :confused:

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sorry, an operator is someone from special forces, or 'special operations'. Coppie mentioned your special purpose as using it as a tac light on a firearm :)

14. Copie

Copie Member

Its Copie. Not Coppie.

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh yes, that's it for sure. I'm not using it to candle eggs. :D

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Hmm, torch Cop[DEL]p[/DEL]ie recommended is probably overkill for that, might even cook your eggs lol. It's a good torch though and you won't need to run it on high power, battery should last you 30+hrs between charges.

Just be aware you need to buy the batteries and a charger to go with it. I might recommend something like this instead which you can charge with micro USB: https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/jetbeam-sf-r28-torch-1500-lumens.html. On the brightness front it's even more overkill, but no faffing about with external battery chargers.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. The torch I linked to is fine for white shells, not good enough for blue.

I wish the lens surround was flat though - why are they "up and down" like that?

Jaycar's got one for $60, I might have a look at that. I really don't want to spend lots, it's a one-off (or a not-very-often-off). Hundreds of bucks for 15 minutes use is slightly overkill.

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

The 'up and down' bit is a 'tactical assault crown' wank wank wank. Everyone does it because everyone does it. If you ever feel the need to smash your way through a glass window or door you can use the crown of your torch as a glass breaker though :p

If you go to jaycar just be aware you're going to pay 50% of the price of one of the ones already linked to for a torch that cost more like $15-$20 out of china, like this one http://www.dx.com/p/warsun-ct9t-119...led-flashlight-w-charger-cable-1-18650-426802

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh, I've just had the fellow at the shop tell me it was for hitting people on the head.... :D Breaking windows instead of heads makes more sense.

I didn't end up going to Jaycar. I rang up Wellington Surplus and they told me they were closing down, so I moseyed on in for a look-see. Ended up getting this one called Fenix, model TK41. Looks ok to me, hopefully it's good and I'll be able to see my babies and I didn't get totally ripped off. I ended up grabbing it because is uses ordinary AA batteries, which is probably more sensible for me seeing as I probably won't be using it much. By the time you added the other batteries, and charger, the price of the others kept going way up.

(anyone in Perth, lots of gear on sale, I got some new jeans for half-price)

Thanks all!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You've done well :) You are going to need to use rechargeable batteries with that one though. It uses digital switches to control brightness and mode, and has a memory to make sure it always switches on to the mode you used last. Unfortunately it uses battery power to do it.

4x eneloops to the rescue :)