Local birdlife

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by EvilGenius, Dec 20, 2016.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Our place is slowly turning into a bird sanctuary, so I thought I'd share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And not quite birds, but I'm sure they'd argue that being 'dragons' makes them far superior :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and critique and general aspersions of my character and parentage welcome :)

2. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

My kids want to come vistit:lol:

They are both mad for birds for some reason:D , as far as the photo critique I dunno look good to me.

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Beautiful shots of beautiful subjects. (I wish I could hire you to do a portrait of my cocky.)

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You're welcome to stop by, BBQ could use a good workout :thumbup:
    We're pretty sure this one was once a pet. It sometimes blurts out 'hello cocky!' :) It seems to be adapting to the wild pretty well though, it's been in the neighbourhood for a few weeks now.

If I make it to Perth again though I'll let you know. My best mate lives over there and it's been far too long since I got to take his jetski for a run :p

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Some awesome photos - here is some detail if your interested.

1-2 Red Winged Parrot Aprosmictus erythropterus.

3-6 Pale Headed Rosella Platycercus adscitus.

7 Magpie Cracticus tibicen black back variant.

8 Little Friar Bird Philemon citreogularis.

9-10 Sulphur-crested cockatoo Cacatua galerita.

11-12 (I think is) Graphic Flutterer Dragonfly - Rhyothemis graphiptera
    http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_dragons/BandedFlutterer.htm

For the Dragon Fly I googled and analysed "tiger striped dragonfly".

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Hmm, I had the pale headed rosella mixed up with the yellow rosella, I'll have to remember that one :)

We have probably 20 of those magpies now. We called in the local wildlife foundation to help us with a possum problem, but they couldn't help. They did like the area though and asked if they could release birds here if/when needed. A family of 5 magpies turned into 20 in about 6mths. We've also got a lot of other regulars I'm sure most would be familiar with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  7. broccoli

broccoli Member

If it talks, it was definitely a pet. Mine's a pink and grey. She's a corker.

One reason that I admire bird shots so much is because I've tried to snap some of my birds and they never stop moving....

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Pink and grey? As in a Galah?

If you click on the images it'll take you through to the main page where there's an info button at the bottom, will show you what settings were used for the pics :)

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes she's a galah.

I don't have a "proper" camera, just a point and shoot. I just don't know how people get good shots of animals that can't/don't sit still for the photo to be taken :lol:

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Does your point and shoot have a manual mode? If so you can probably still get some nice pics :)

Lots of light, smallest aperture your camera supports, fastest shutter speed you can manage. Zoom in from a bit of a distance and angle for a nice coloured background. If you can't get the shutter speed above 1/400 or so with those settings, up the iso until you can. Then moving bird or not you should still get some ok pics.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

I've no idea....:eek: I'm a clueless numpty, I just put it on auto and wave it at something and click the button. If something is in the picture, it's a win :lol:

12. josh_676

josh_676 Member

I didn't realise how much character birds have until I got a couple of cockatiels.

They are a lot of fun to watch in the wild.

Nice pictures!

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

- Blue faced honey eater - Entomyzon cyanotis,
    - Kookaburra Dacelo novaeguineae.
    - Rainbow Lorikeet - Trichoglossus haematodus,
    - Spangled Drongo Dicrurus bracteatus - (this is my favorite photo even though you didn't capture the fish tail) like here
    Can we keep some numbering system please as I am stilll working on the last one...........................

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Done. I can tell you what the last one is if you like, or would you prefer to find out for yourself? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the spangled drongo, it stops by to massage it's face in our window once a day, usually gives itself a good whack, then rests in a palm tree nibbling on berries for a few hours then disappears again. Same routine every day. I've never seen it sitting with it's tail like that though, I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Reassessing the Drongo (I was being one) what you captured is an Eastern Koel (formerly Common Koel) Eudynamys orientalis the hook at the end of the bill and the "lack of fish tail" are the give away. Have you heard it make the most annoying call when he is searching for a mate?
    - they can do this for hours at any time of the day - we have one near us going off at 2AM.

18-19 Apostlebird Struthidea cinerea.

By the way some awesome shots you are getting and I hope I am not thread hijacking.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Don't feel too bad, we thought it was a drongo too... So much for that :) Thankfully the only bird calls we get at night are from curlews and after living away for 8yrs or so, they sort of became the sound of 'home'.

Not at all mate. Nothing worse than putting pics up in here and nobody says anything. Really glad you're enjoying them :thumbup:

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, it's a toss-up when browsing whether to just go "oooh, lovely" in your head or to post your admiration without anything more useful to go with it. I tend to post, I figure everyone likes positive feedback, even if they think you're a dill with nothing much to say.

I'm loving these photos. Give me moarr (as they say on the internet). It's especially interesting seeing ones that I don't see around and about here.

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That I can do :) Although I can't promise you don't have them over there, I've only been twice and to be honest this wasn't the sort of birdlife I was interested in at the time ;)

Also I'm cheating now, these aren't from my back yard like the rest are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a little bit of everything, anything else I've shot this year is up here: https://mchalesnavy.smugmug.com/Wildlife. Not all of it worth sharing but maybe worth a gander anyway :) I've got a ways to go before I'm shooting for national geographic :p

19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017