Looking to make my own cable exensions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by matt_, Mar 30, 2017.

1. matt_

matt_ Member

I'm interested in making my own cable extensions to fit out a new build. I've done quite a bit of reading for it and I think I'm about ready to go except for one thing. I can't seem to find anywhere that specifically states what wire or housings I should be using. Most guides say 18 AWG, but don't list any details beyond that. I'm looking to put in an order through but am struggling with the massive amount of products available. Is there a specific type of wire I need, or will any 18 AWG do? Same deal for housings. I was going to order from element14 to save on postage costs, but the huge number of products there is a bit daunting and i don't want to end up with the wrong thing.

I'll list the parts I was planning on buying anyway, I'd really appreciate being steered in the right direction.

Pins:
    Male: http://au.element14.com/molex/39-00-0040/contact-pin-24awg-to-18awg-crimp/dp/1756649

Female: http://au.element14.com/molex/39-00-0038/contact-socket-24-18awg-crimp/dp/1462545

Is there an alternative to element14 I should be considering? I just don't want to get stuck with a huge shipping bill. If element14 is fine, if anyone could suggest what type of wire and what housings for 24 pin extensions and 8 pin extensions, that would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

18-24awg is fine. Make sure its stranded core and wire insulation rated up to 100v minimum (most are 300vdc before insulation breakdown) so I think you're fine with that.

Ebay usually lot less expensive.

3. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

E14 and RS both have free shipping for orders of a decent size (~$75 IIRC).

4. DNX

DNX Member

5. harrye30

harrye30 Member

I can supply pins for a decent saving.
    Let me know what you need/if you need molex and fan etc.

I'll let you know what I have this evening.

Crimpers should be purchasable via Jaycar or similar :)

I can also supply precut and pre pinned wire for a cost if you supply the measurements. I can sleeve for extra if required.

Happy modding.

6. matt_a

matt_a Member

Do you have a fully modular PSU? If so I would suggest skipping making extensions and just replace the original PSU cables for custom ones.

7. Cthom

Cthom Member

Any decent power supply you can check it yourself.

If element14 is fine, I would suggest housings for 24 pin extensions

8. Cthom

Cthom Member

But that would cost him alot of work