LOTRO Lord of the Rings Online F2P

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Deliverancexx, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Deliverancexx

Deliverancexx (Banned or Deleted)

Just heard about this today and couldn't find a thread on it.

http://www.lotro.com/news/709

So basically LotRO is adopting a F2P with a store to buy things in.

I never tried LotRO but I might now as I would want to play casually when I want a break from shooters. Hope it doesn't turn to s**t when this happen though.

There is also a F2P beta around. http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/

2. GarethB

GarethB Member

The game will still have a pay to play plan based on what I read in the announcement, but free play will be available.

From the announcement FAQ:
    So, there will be a monthly fee to have a VIP account in the game. No word on pricing yet. 5 character slots per server for a VIP account? Right now I have 6 characters on the same server, and can create three more on that server if I want (9 playable classes). If I have to delete one toon, it won't kill me, but I know there are some players who already have 9 characters on the same server. This seems to be in conflict with the VIP Chart linked to the official announcement Deliverence linked. On the chart is says VIP accounts can have 7 classes, the FAQ says VIP accounts can have 5 characters. 5 != 7.

edit: Extra character slots can be purchased (which is in the game now), the announcements were referring to the base number of character slots before purchasing extra slots.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. the-enigma

the-enigma Member

I read somewhere that if you are already a subscriber, they won't take away access to your characters. So existing subs get as many chars as they have (but won't be able to create new ones I'm assuming).

As for the class/slot thing, it means VIP accounts can choose from 7 classes, it doesn't mean they can have one character of each class at once.

4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Cool, will have to give it a go when it's F2P. I like the idea of more MMOs offering F2P with microtransactions and VIP subscriptions. Gives folk like me who don't really get into MMOs an incentive to give it a decent go. If the publishers can make their money and provide a good player base to keep the players happy then everyone wins.

5. GarethB

GarethB Member

6. Deliverancexx

Has there been any confirmation of a release date other than sometime in Sep Oct or Nov?

I didn't look into the specifics as to classes and slots as I've never played this MMO before.

As for how much VIP will cost I assumed from the article it will be the same as a monthly sub at the moment.

7. FiShy

FiShy Member

dnd online has been good on f2p, its made by the same company.

since the game has no pvp and all the best items still come from monsters, the f2p model should just add more players

8. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

so i had a lvl 45 champion and a lvl 16 minstrel when i stoped playing 6+ months ago.(on and off playing since release)

if i go back to play with the f2p model will i instantly have to buy content to advance, as in does the standard content with f2p run out after say lvl 20, then you have to purchase content?

that would be annoying as i bought the game when it 1st came out for $90 for the content in it, (enough to get to lvl 60 from memory with the original content)

anyone know what the deal is?

9. r8response

r8response Member

There is enough F2P content to get you too the level cap AFAIK

10. GarethB

GarethB Member

I don't have ALL the details at the moment. As I understand it, ALL players need to buy the paid expansions, no matter what play scheme you are on. Free expansions are free to all players (access to some free expansions may depend on having access to particular paid expansions).

If you have bought the Mines of Moria version of the game, you have access to all landmass/quests/instances up to and including Lothlorien (the elf forest on the east side of Moria, this was a free expansion). Mirkwood is a paid expansion, you'll have to buy it no matter what play plan you intend to be on. Which level cap you can reach will depend on which paid expansions you have bought.

From Turbine:
    If you have created more characters in the past as a paying player than the free plan will allow in the future, you will keep all those characters, you just won't be able to create new characters.

Here's a chart made by Turbine listing the features/limitations for the beta test of the different play plans (my Turbine quote above is from the notes at the bottom of this chart).

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

11. AdoringFan

AdoringFan Member

"Free to Pay" is really a misleading term here. Basically it's free to play a stripped-down version of LotR:O. The full game is still fee-paying.
    I guess this is the general usage of the term nowadays though.

Oh well, I'm already a paying-subscriber ;)

12. Deliverancexx

Isn't it more free to play, pay to win?

13. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

Not sure if this is something that would interest me enough to get back into LOTRO. I had an awesomely kiitted out level 65 hunter, and a good level 65 captain.

It was a great game, but I rage-quit when combining 2x level 9 legendary slot things and only got one in return. I was fucking fuming at that. 1 level 9 item takes weeks/months of grinding to get.

It is a good game, let down by the lack of end game content (haven't played Vol III yet) and the fact that trying to get a fellowship going on Aussie time is near impossible let alone a raid. (Still haven't seen all of the DN raid).

14. omen_child

omen_child Member

At this stage and with the information they've released, it isn't. Free players only get access to the starting area quests (but i think they can travel to all areas), and can pay piecemeal for access to further content or pay a monthly sub and have VIP access for the duration of their subscription.

Hopefully this is the way it stays.

15. AdoringFan

AdoringFan Member

Yeah I totally agree; the whole 'pay to win' thing is simply a profiteering scam.
    That said, so is everything in the MMO world nowadays. Sadface.

16. r8response

r8response Member

Wasn't aware you could get to lvl50 just in the starting areas :paranoid:

17. the-enigma

the-enigma Member

You aren't locked to starting areas. You can even wander around Angmar. And you do get all the epic quest chains. It's just that after roughly level 20, you won't have quests, you'll be stuck grinding. So technically possible, but I doubt many will go with it.

18. GarethB

GarethB Member

19. danske91

danske91 Member

well i know my plan is to get vip or what ever they call it in my time of like my holidays and stuff (i have many cause im at uni) and then just keep it free to play during uni so maybe it will help keep me off the computer and actually doing study.

i've been wanting to purchase the game for a long time but because i know i will become addicted quite fast i haven't, i love the lord of the rings series.
    just wondering does any of the content from the hobbit make an appearance in game? or is it mainly based on the fellowship?

20. GarethB

GarethB Member

There's only a very small amount of game content that's from The Hobbit that isn't part of the LOTR story. When Bilbo and the dwarves were crossing the Misty Mountains they were captured by goblins and Bilbo found the ring. The goblin cave is called Goblin Town in the game, and you can find the part of the cave where Gollum lived. That's the only game content I can think of that is in The Hobbit book that isn't in the LOTR book. Some of the dwarves from The Hobbit are in the game as NPC's as well.

Turbine does have the rights to The Hobbit as well as LOTR so there has been ongoing player speculation about the Lonely Mounain, Dale and Laketown possibly being added, but Turbine has not made any comments about that, so it's really just wishful thinking by players. The Lonely Mountain was attacked at the same time that Gondor was attacked by Mordor in LOTR (it's briefly mentioned in the appendicies in LOTR).