Low cost Small/medium business IP phone solution

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by lawrencep93, May 31, 2017.

1. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Trying to work out a low cost IP phone system to connect to about 12 -
    15 employees.

Moving offices, currently have NBN moving to ADSL2+ and most likely physical phone lines into the building so no VOIP.

Most likely have 4-6 external lines 1 fax.

For an accounting firm.

What sort of systems should I look at implementing that can just plug into phone lines coming in, go onto the network and connect to all the IP phones.

I am a bit new to the whole IP phone solution thing so not 100% sure what solutions are most commonly used by small-medium business.

We have 2 servers on site could use the application server if needed.

2. chip

chip Member

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out VoIP.
    If you're in metro Melbourne area, an ADSL service + 6 POTS lines could easily end up costing almost the same as an actual business grade SHDSL ("ethernet" in telco sales language) connection and an externally hosted virtual PBX.

3. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

iiNet hosted VOIP will do similar to what you want for about $30/line (https://www.iinet.net.au/business/small/bizphone/).

Otherwise, Engin will offer you 4 SIP trunks for about $35/m (http://www.engin.com.au/phone/sip-trunking-plans) or 2 lines with almost all calls being free for about $120/m.

Engin also offer Hosted Phone systems for about $40/m (http://www.engin.com.au/phone/hosted-phone-pbx-plans).

They're just the options I've investigated. They all seem pretty good. They do have limits you should investigate, but they aren't bad.

EDIT: Fax lines are best sent to GoFAX (http://www.gofax.com.au). SO MUCH MORE USEFUL.

4. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Melbourne CBD really close to Victoria Market.

We currently have the 6 POTS lines through Telstra NBN is virtualization I assume, so will move them over to the existing phone lines into the building or go down VOIP if that is cheaper?

I am sure the FAX is plugged into the server or the MFP as it sends all faxes to email but we can send from the MFP.

5. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Lawrence,

I wouldn't recommend running more than 2-3 SIP/VOIP services over an ADSL service, especially if you're using it for internet as well.

a standard PSTN phone line, with calls included runs between 50-100 per line, per month.Then you also need your PABX and handsets and all the setup.
    Sure.. I guess you could do ISDN also, get an ISDN2 or ISDN4 or something. But that changes the PBX you need as well.

As an alternative, I'd go with similar to chip's suggestion.
    An SHDSL Service, with voip PBX. Rock solid SHDSL Service, synchronous up/down speed of 10/10 or 20/20 (dependent on site quals)
    ability to quickly add new handsets - just plug it into the network.
    plus, IVR, call recording, voicemail-to-email, internal calling for free
    6 handsets and 10/10 service for sub $500, no fixed hardware costs, no pbx callout or programming or install fees.

drop me a PM if you want, I'm sure I can find you a solution

6. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Thanks,

I will try grab a bill and see how much we are paying for the POTS lines now.

Then try and compare it to the cost of the internet I know that ADSL2+ will mean a saving of $50/month compared to the NBN they currently have.

How does the cost of SHDSL compare with $399/month which I can get 400/400 fiber installed from TPG 90% sure we are in an on net area considering TPG has built 2x FTTB in the apartment buildings next door.

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Hit up all the major ISPs to see what they can do for you. They all have solutions that cater for SMBs. If you MUST do voip on ADSL, use a dedicated line (e.g. one ADSL for Internet, one for voip).

8. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Thanks I just got the bill it's actually 3 lines and 1 fax on the bill but there will be another 1-2 lines for other businesses in the building hence the 6 lines I came up with.

The 4 lines inc fax so 3 phone and 1 fax costs 800/month right now and internet service ontop for 110/month means that budget would idealy be sub 900/month

9. chip

chip Member

Sounds like the next step is to actually take your requirements to ISP/telco business sales people to get budgetary pricing on a few options. Keep an eye on things like setup costs, contract lengths, and service restoration times.

10. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I'd got the 400/400 fibre, personally :) just cause you can

11. person

person Member

Get this - talk to TPG they will likely be able to bundle VoIP with this... then just add your favourite PBX if needed (I like Epygi Quadros but there's plenty of options nowdays ...)

12. chip

chip Member

TPG do advertise a hosted PBX service to go with that fibre bundle. Letting one provider do it all is potentially less hassle for a 12 seat small business than hosting on-premises. No comment on the actual quality of the service TPG are offering.

13. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

for your fax though, if you legitimately need a fax (and don't have fax-to-email or email-to-fax gateway somewhere for example ) you'll also need an ATA to convert a SIP service to a POTS service for fax line.

your TPG will cost you:

$399 ex GST per month
    $1999 ex GST setup fee
    36 month contract

You'll also need a firewall capable of handling that and splitting it into vlans for your voice service etc..
    Then your voip service on top, however you plan to run that, whether it's a cloud PABX or whether it's an onsite PABX with handsets purchased outright (plus, you need someone to supply/manage the PBX if you do it onsite)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  14. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Something like a Juniper SRX240, you can get it in a PoE version to power the handsets as well. Pretty good bang for buck too, way cheaper than an equivalently capable Cisco ASA.

Also check out Vocus, they have a hell of a lot of on-net buildings in the CBD as well and if you mention TPG they will sharpen their pencils too. They will also deliver other services other than just internet if you want as well, such as VoIP and other things such as cloud connect services etc.

15. 7nothing

7nothing Member

3cx for the PBX, use sip trunks or put a patton box on your existing lines, or both.

16. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

I already have a Cisco PoE router with enough PoE ports to run 24 phones and a cyberoam running the firewall and a few other services, need to check with the guy who set it all up.

Also cleaning up the current phone bill from Telstra had a few extras like directory services which I am trying to get sensis to stop and an extra line which they forgot to disable from an old tenant that moved to Sydney, should shave $380/month off the bill bringing the phone bill down to $500/month.

Interesting thing is that the Telstra plan on the NBN has provision for the 25/5 plan to be increased to 10Mbps upload for the phonelines so I assume that if we move office and have something similar through the internet we will need minimum 10/10 SHDSL.
    Looking for a 24 month plan as the NBN arrives in Jan-June 2019 so I will switch to HFC NBN with TPG + VOIP service, hoping if I get all VOIP set up properly now, when NBN comes it is an easy transition rather than having to run multiple services with Telstra and TPG like the current building has now.

17. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

your cyberoam may not have capacity to handle 400/400 service

18. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Good point will have to check it is currently handling 100/40 NBN perfectly fine.

19. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

CR10 models have a max (theoretical) throughput of 300Mbps without any AV filtering, UTM or IPS

looks like you'd need at least CR15 for 400/400

20. samus

samus Member

I think your best bet would be to go to several ISP's with your needs and get prices on a complete package. I know Exetel (I use them currently) will be able to bundle fibre, copper, fax services and a PBX solution for you. I think hosted would be best, then you just need to point the phones to the provisioning server and done.

Go hard, and don't be afraid to negotiate. Exetel doubled my fibre speed for the same money if I simply re-signed for 3 years. No NBN either, I had to run a dedicated fibre line (well Telstra did).