Microsoft to buy AMD?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mixsetup, Jun 30, 2015.

1. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

of course, if the price is right.

3. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

They would except they haven't been approached, this click bait rumor has been occurring all month, be it Samsung, MS, Qualcomm, ARM, and so on. My guess is someone's trying to shake up AMD's share price.

4. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Yeah the rumors have been going for years but maybe one day they will do it and sell.

5. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Even if it were true, why would Microsoft or Samsung want to buy AMD?

Samsung already has its manufacturing to produce the Exynos chips and it's in Microsoft's interest to not put Intel offside given that so many of Intel powered products run a Microsoft operating system.

It'd be a very silly move to purchase a chip manufacturer to say perform greater and tighter integrations into their single product Surface tablet.

I too agree that it's speculative click baiting. Though I wonder what the purpose of trying to do this for AMD's share price. The current share holders of AMD are trying to dump their shares?

6. power

power Member

Microsoft have a track record of buying overvalued loser companies - why would this be any different.

Doubt it will happen though.

7. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

As it says AMD in XBox one and PS4 so they wouldn't have to pay themselves for their chips and they could make money from the opposition.

8. alch

alch Member

Lets hope not.
    It will destroy competition.
    Like big ISPs buying out smaller ones.. Yes!... No.

9. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

No, it won't. If anything, it's going to provide more competition. Means Intel will have to get off their ass and actually push themselves R&D wise instead of sitting back and doing fuck-all because AMD are trash and can't provide any competition.

As other have already mentioned, Microsoft buying AMD would piss off Intel pretty hard, and I'm not sure if Microsoft would want to walk that path...

10. power

power Member

nah mate, Intel would take a great big shit all over them.

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I'd love to see Samsung by them. Let them catch up to intel's manufacturing process lead. Would make them a better competitor to intel and provide more aggressive pricing and product development from the both of them. Good result for the consumer. Samsung license some AMD graphics tech for their mobile chips don't they?

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

Samsung is most likely - Microsoft don't really want to be in the Semi-conductor business.

Samsung would probably awaken Intel ala the Core2 era again, and Intel would shit all over them. Then again, this all hinges on the idea that Intel would let the x86 license at AMD be transferred to Samsung on the purchase.

Intel have *really* smart people working for them, but they only work as hard as they have to - and if AMD keep shitting the bed on every front, why try harder?

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

AMD's biggest problem has always been its limited size/lack of resources. With the resources of Samsung behind it, it could be a game changer.

14. power

power Member

Yeah Samsung already have fabs so getting some of their patents, etc might be beneficial.

Honestly though, I don't know that they'd really benefit that much.

15. neRok

neRok Member

For the good of humanity :confused:

16. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Very true. What exactly would they be looking to achieve? Running it as a separate company to bring it back to profit?
    Samsung havent even been bothered to create a custom ARM core, what would they want with a custom X86 core? They are rolling their laptop business back as it is...

Microsoft could see some value in relation to the xbox side of things and im sure they could get AMD pretty cheap, but i cant see them trying to go up against Intel with only access inferior fabs, would be the kind of thing that could cause more problems for the WinTel world than it would help...

At the end of the day anything that can bring AMD back to a competitive place that forces Intel to try harder would be a good thing for everyone. I just dont see it happening without their own state of the art fabs and who would pay for 2 or 3 generations of fabs on the off chance that AMD might get some market share back?

As sad as it is to say or even think about, id be more upset to see the ATI wing of AMD die more than the CPU department...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Except this is in direct opposition to the companies obligation to their shareholders.

18. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

Hahahahaha :lol:

*wiping tears of laughter from eyes*. I'm 99% sure if AMD are bought out, Intel will not let them have the x86 license... Pretty sure VIA still have an x86 license that they aren't allowed to sell (or transfer) if I remember correctly?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Ah cool can you give us a scan of their licensing contract? You've read it apparently.

Via bought the x86 making Centaur Technologies to make x86 CPUs. So if VIA could buy a company with the license and keep the license I don't see why it would be any different for Samsung buying AMD to make x86, if they wanted to.

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The level at which you trivialise microprocessor design and engineering amuses me greatly.