Migrating from Hosted Exchange to O365? Built-in or Third Party?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by -Sk3tChY-, Jan 8, 2017.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

This will be my first time migrating this particular type of setup. I'm about to get stuck into reading up on things to find the most appropriate solution and plan accordingly, but figure some of the more experienced minds here may be able to save me a little time reading up on things that perhaps aren't worthwhile considering.

All of the data currently resides within a Hosted Exchange account with Uber Global, there's about 15 mailboxes each with <10GB data. Uber look to use Exchange Version 15.0.1076.4000 (2013) and it's all managed from Parallels; I don't think there's ECP access.

Ideally I'd like to be able to just migrate everything over using a single process/platform, the most important items obviously will be mail/folders, contacts and calendars; autocomplete would be nice too.

Their user/groups/forwarding/shared mailbox stuff is all very simple, so I can manually recreate all of this within an hour.

At this point my considerations are:

• Built-in Cutover - Seems to migrate everything, but not sure if I can use with Hosted Exchange?
    • Built-in IMAP - migrates only mail
    • Skykick - I belive costs, not sure how much or if necessary for a small/simple migration
    • MigrationWiz - I belive costs, not sure how much or if necessary for a small/simple migration
    I was hoping to try using one of the free built-in O365 Data Migration tools from the Admin Center - but I've seen a lot of people suggesting things like Skykick/MigrationWiz.

Just after any suggestions/experiences - I'll be spending the following week reading into all of this. Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. NSanity

NSanity Member

:rolleyes: Pay me.

3. scips

scips Member

Haven't had any issues with the builtin cut-over, but have always had access to ECP/admin panels to give all the permissions needed.

Only heard good things about skykick but haven't used them yet (probably wouldn't bother using them for such a tiny migration either)

4. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Doing a little research on the built-in cutover migration now, looks like it migrates everything I want it to, but just not sure if I can use it with a Hosted Exchange environment. :thumbdn:

When I went through the Email Setup Advisor it suggested IMAP, the description also says "You can use the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) to migrate user email from hosted Exchange and other email systems that support IMAP migration."

This will to migrate all the mail data, but then I'd have to manually migrate calendars/contacts, was hoping something a little more automated.

5. Daemon

Daemon Member

MigrationWiz.

The built in tools work until they don't... Microsoft are on their 4th variant to try and get it right.

Meanwhile, MigrationWiz just works and means only 1/3 of the dicking around with inbuilt tools. The time savings far outweigh the costs, it's a no brainer.

6. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Ahh so the built-in tools are no good? Not even for like, tiny environments like 15 mailboxes? I would have thought they'd at least do what they're supposed to, being Microsoft and all. :shock:

When I originally moved these guys from their previous IMAP host to this Hosted Exchange I used MigrationWiz, but it was all purchased via Uber Global so I'm not sure if it's some restricted version.

There's still a MigrationWiz tab within Parallels and it looks like the licenses/coupons purchased are still there, I can even still start a migration project but it all goes through openconnect.selfmigration.com/Public/ - might give it a crack and see if it actually allows me to do anything.

I'm thinking it will probably say the coupons I purchased previously have already been consumed from the past migration. :thumbdn:

EDIT: Looks like the licenses that were purchased expired after 12 months, still have the BitTitan/MigrationWiz account there though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Just have the users drag and drop the emails themselves from one mailbox to another.

Seriously, someone thought that's a good idea with a 1600 user migration across 60 or so affiliate entities.

On a more serious point, got plans for backup?
    Skykick migration is free if you purchase 12 months of backup.

8. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I actually did this with these guys many years ago when I first started helping them out - they were using SeaMonkey/POP! Worked a charm!

Of course, that was only 8 small mailboxes, not 1600! I was also the one copying over all the stuff. :p

As you know mate, just started to get into all the O365 stuff. Backup is next on the cards.

Skykick definitely looked cool from your demo, might try and take a look at pricing on this and see if it's something worth considering.

Was hoping I'd be able to try and keep things as MS/simple as possible for my first little migration, but if their built-in Data Migration tools are really that bad, I may have to consider Skykick/MigrationWiz.

Does the cutover tool work with Hosted Exchange or only on-prem?

9. Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

I went from On Prem Exchange 2013 to O365 E1 & E3 plans just over the Christmas break using the inbuilt tools.

Cutover Migration
    GOOD - Works fine to migrate all users in 1 go. creates each user in O365 and Azure AD.
    BAD - I could not then get Azure AD Connect to sync with my on prem AD, i tried syncing then cutover, and cutover then sync, no dice. I migrated 500gb of data twice trying the cutover method. gave up and did hybrid

Hybrid Migration
    GOOD - Works in batches of what ever size you like, I suggest user mailbox batches and shared mailbox batches seperatly.
    GOOD - works with Azure AD Connect, setup AD Connect FIRST, let it create all the users and groups. give all your users their licenses and start the batches
    BAD - you must give even shared mailboxes licenses to complete the migration, once the data is in O365 it changes them to shared mailboxes and you can remove the license again. but its good to have a handfull of spare licenses or do the shared mailboxes in your first batch, assign license and remove once complete and assign to the users.

NOTE: if using AD groups to give calendar / mailbox permissions make sure they are in your sync filters of AD Connect. (I made this mistake, easy to fix but easier if you sort it first)

I did ~50 Mailboxes + 15 Shared with around 250-300gb of exchange data.

Don't know if all of this applies to your hosted exchange but its what i did.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Christ no.

The Microsoft tools work ok if you have Shell access (I agree with Daemon, they work till they don't). Other tools that utilise EWS work great when all you have is the end user accounts.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  11. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

ooOOOOOOoooo ideas!!

12. bcann

bcann Member

i freely admit to never having done this, but having an 0365 account that does have hosted exchange that we don't use at the moment, why not dump it to .pst if you don't trust the tools and import the pst's as it can all be done through the web interface, and it fits your criteria of emails, calander, etc.

again I've not done a migrate to O365 hosted exchange so I've no idea how well it works.

and i'd only do this if the wizard is borked or not running properly.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  13. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Thanks for the post. I'm still trying to ascertain whether or not I can/should use the cutover migration tool with Hosted Exchange - if I can, I think for such a small migration it should work perfectly fine.

Has anyone used the cutover migration tool with a Hosted Exchange environment?

To do this I'd first have to export all of the mailboxes from Outlook to PST's. This in itself would mean either downloading all the mailboxes to my own Outlook client or going around to each workstation and exporting.

I'd then be left with like 15 seperate PST files, each from about 1-10GB in size which I'd then have to upload via the web interface from a crappy upload speed WAN link - which would take quite some time.

----------

I'm thinking I'll perhaps use a combination of the built-in IMAP migration tool to copy all of the mail data over, then when I actually go to reconfigure each users Outlook client I'll just manually export their contacts/calendar to PST and upload this via the web interface. Likewise, I'll just manually migrate their autocomplete files over too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  14. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Fire up an Azure trial and setup a VM and use that instead.

Most of our partners run Hosted Exchange and use SkyKick for migrations, you can call their support line and they can help you validate it.

Can help run you through it tomorrow.

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What does "hosted exchange" mean in your situation?

Is it just a bunch of mailboxes on someone elses exchange Org

Or is it a proper Multi-Tenant hosted exchange environment

16. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I used Skykick to take a client from EntityData hosted Exchange to O365

17. Reginald85

Reginald85 Member

Another vote for Skykick here.

Have migrated a number of customers off Hosted Exchange platforms to O365 with this.

It would be much quicker (and cheaper in my opinion) to use this service than waste your time on the inbuilt tools or manually migrating each user.

18. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

It's a Hosted Exchange account with Uber Global.

Went to the RHIPE roadshow and saw Skykick in action, looks awfully similar to MigrationWiz - both look to be great products.

Skykick seems popular! Will definitely have to take a closer look at it!

Depending on the cost of Skykick though, I'm thinking using the built-in IMAP tool and manually exporting/importing the rest will probably work fine.

Depending on what Skykick migrates over it may even be quicker/simpler because I won't be migrating over users/permissions but rather recreating them entirely.

Regardless of what I do, I'm going to have to manually go around to each machine and reconfigure Outlook with the new mailbox. Quickly exporting contacts+calendar to a PST prior to re-configuring and then importing once reconfigured won't add much time at all.

19. Dre_

Dre_ Member

The migration planning part of Skykick is free, so I'd recommend using it for that regardless of how you choose to do the migration.

Skykick automates this part :)

Give me a buzz and I can run you though it.

20. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

as long as they download the outlook assistant, then it does it all itself