Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tazor

Tazor Member

Started work on my P1 and found something cool, I can run led strips under the motherboard so the whole board is rimmed with addressable RGB lights.
    [​IMG]
    Gonna be a lot of fun.

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I wish itx boards have mxm slots, that's how you get a real compact gaming rig.

3. oldskoolbreakz

oldskoolbreakz Member

All parts for my build have arrived :D

Will be getting stuck into it tonight.

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

Let us know how you go cramming in the dual EVGA AIO's

5. oldskoolbreakz

oldskoolbreakz Member

Actually the case and AIOs came yesterday, the last bits (mobo and CPU) came from newegg today.

The AIOs fit - but only just. I had to take out one of the rubber grommets on the cable tray, because this was getting in the way. Pretty happy they fit :thumbup:

I've also installed the hard drive, SSD and PSU.

6. Tazor

Tazor Member

Which PSU are you using? And what were the final specs of the system?

7. oldskoolbreakz

oldskoolbreakz Member

Final specs are:

CPU: i5 8400
    CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 120
    GPU: Galax 1080ti FE
    GPU cooler: EVGA 1080ti water cooler
    Mobo: Asus Strix z370-I
    RAM: 16GB Gskills Trident Z RGB 3000mhz
    PSU: Corsair SF600
    HDD: 3TB WD Green
    SSD: 500TB Samsung 850 Evo

Will probably hang onto the 8400 for a while, but might swap it out for an 8700k.

8. Tazor

Tazor Member

I'm sure you'll fine the 8400 more than adequate, looks like a solid rig!

Here's where my P1 is at:

[​IMG]

9. oldskoolbreakz

oldskoolbreakz Member

Very nice - if I have issues with the phanteks shift, I'll be looking at wall-mounting a P1 and possibly going with a custom loop. Its a sweet looking case!

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

But then there would be no space for a CPU socket.

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Love the look of these. I wish it was properly small though. I realise it has an ITX board in there, but its pretty huge for ITX, kinda defeats the point of a small board. Limiting the options by using an ITX board, but in a space that would probably fit a full sized ATX build?

Nice work nevertheless. Its only a name, the important part is that it looks great and suits your purposes :thumbup:

12. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Could be a horizontal slot over some motherboard components.

13. Tazor

Tazor Member

Funny you mention that, physically it fits Micro ATX, but the reason for the large gap right of and under the board is because of the vertical GPU mount (which I have no interest in using) and for watercooling.

But I know what you mean, it's bigger than many other small cases but I think when it is complete you will see it is not wasting the space.

14. oldskoolbreakz

oldskoolbreakz Member

Well my build is not going so smoothly - everything is set up apart from the GPU and working great, but after installing the EVGA cooler on the 1080ti the card doesn't work (I can boot with the CPU's hdmi output - in Windows, device manager can see the 1080ti but gives 'error code 43').

Will try to figure it out on the weekend. Hope I haven't bricked the GPU :upset:

15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Check power plugs. All of them. Mobo got an extra somewhere? 6pin vs 8pin gpu plug? 600w might be too low too.

16. Tazor

Tazor Member

Weird, I had a lot of issues with my Shift as well, which is why I moved to the P1.

My issue was freezing on boot up and my display drivers would constantly crash. I also thought it was my GPU, Vega 64, but when Case Gear tested it it was all fine and running different parts it had the same issue.

My advise: Remove all parts from the case and run them externally to see if they have the same issue and swap out parts you have spares for until youj can confirm where the issue lies.

17. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I can finally post in this thread!! Have a black corsair graphite 380T and a gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI and a couple of processors and ram kits..

Looking forward to my first ITX build, my first AM4 build and my first DDR4 build this weekend.

I shall call the computer the lan Computer One.. or LC1

18. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Itx friends - I have 3 questions at the moment for my SG13 build:

1. What is the best (quiet and efficient) SFX psu to get? Is the 500-LG any good? Must be quiet

2. Have any of you guys gone the unorthodox route with cooling a Silverstone Sugo? Like an external rad for GPU aoi or fit a larger rad somewhere for full WC? I was thinking of moving the psu to where the front intake is, move GPU to above the mobo via riser and try to tuck a slim 240 in the side where the GPU normally goes .... Or transverse a shorty GPU behind the front fan opening and 240 rad on the side ...

3. Or do you guys think an undervolted Founders 1080 or 1080Ti will be quiet?

Cheers

:)

19. Tazor

Tazor Member

I have the 700W Platinum and it has hybrid mode due to the fact they use a proper 120mm fan, none of the standard length SFX PSU's have hybrid mode so they run constantly and ebing 92mm are slightly audible, but not by much.
    My recommendation however is to grab one of the new BeQuiet! SFX-L PSU's PCCG has just gotten in, because Silverstone has a history of introducing coil whine, something I have noticed, and BeQuiet! PSU's are great, I think they use a better OEM than SS to my knowledge.

I've seen plenty of people watercool then, mostly with front mounted 120's BUT with an SFX-L you might run into issues, do some measuring. But it's possible, just not easy, you will at the very least run into thermal issues if you are putting a 1080/ti into a loop with the CPU. My mate has a 6700k and 1080 in a single loop with a 240mm rad in his NCase M1 and thermal throttles on the CPU.

But more to the point, which Sugo? There's like 10+ now :lol:

If noise level is you thing get something like the Zotac 1080 Mini, it's very quiet, small and not mega power hungry and won't interfere with front mounted radiators.

20. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thanks Tazor, at the top I mentioned SG13 :) I had a WC SG05 (4790k and gtx970) a while back so this is the next iteration of that project. The mission is small, quiet, powerful. The 1080Ti option is mainly for air cooled GPU, if I water cool the GPU I was looking at a shortie like an AMD nano or Fury-X. I read the shortie zotac 1080Ti needs good airflow or it's noisey too, the side of an SG13 might not qualify as good airflow. I don't need massive GPU power for this, it's meant to be a new daily box that can game so the AMD GPUs I mentioned will be enough (and I have a full block for a Nano here).

I had a 1080 and Ti both in FE and they are quiet at low fan speeds, plus I was reading about undervolting Founders so maybe an undervolted FE with cool air intake at the side of the case would be fine.

:)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM