MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

OMG, that's an old quote! :)

Brilliant! Cheers for the link!

2. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I agree with what Hyrax said, Mythbuntu is dead. The only way to fix your setup is to take off and nuke it from orbit. Whatever fancy stuff you have done to your server, 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda' ditch it all and do a vanilla Ubuntu installation on a single large HDD and apt-get install mythtv. Once you have it all working as intended, (USE SHEPHERD), then start to split off the storage location to an additional md location, NFS/automount, play with how it starts up, etc etc

You will get much higher WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) like this, and [del]if[/del] when you break it by fiddling around with the server, give $WIFE $100 and send her shopping with her mates. Works for me. I'm very poor now, I break my server a lot.

3. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I generally don't write in here until I'm exhausted from researching and trying.

I think the biggest problem I've had is getting MySQL to bind to the backend IP address, as there seems to be a few places to define this.

I've read that this is supposed to install like that but having installed Ubuntu three times now (once with 16.10, twice with 16.04) I have yet to get it working out of the box.

What is auto mount? I just have a 500gb HDD dedicated specifically to TV streaming and recording in the backend. It has one folder called 'mythtv' and it has RWX permissions set for the mythtv group.

I might have to give this a shot. Why was it a pain having a Myth backend and Kodi front end?

I do like the idea of Myth as it seems really well supported now and into the future - especially having a support thread here on OCAU.

As above, the storage folder is just a single 500gb SATA HDD dedicated to MythTV.

I'll try another re-install.

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yes, but is it defined in /etc/fstab or are you relying on some part of desktop Ubuntu to mount it for you?

Don't do the second, it mucks around with only mounting the disk when it's "in use". Just mount it properly in fstab

5. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

I have been doing the second. It wasn't a conscious thing, the drive was in the computer and I didn't realize I needed mount it manually. I would be nice if there was a simple dumbed down Linux philosophy and best practices guide somewhere, I find the info is very scattered, or goes into too much depth for an average user. I quite like Elvis's posts on here, he gets to the detail quickly and assumes some level of competency from the user.

In other news I got TVheadend running in minutes, what a fantastic little program! Fastest channel switching/tuning that I've experienced with this hardware too. I think I'll be sticking with it, and giving MythTV the flick.

6. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Yeah, there's a lot of knowledge required to do and maintain a successful MythTV installation, and it assumes a level of Linux/Unix knowledge present to be able to do general troubleshooting, investigation, etc etc.
    I haven't heard of TVheadend, but if it meets your needs, use that :)

7. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

8. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to determine which recording device was used to record a programme? I imagine this information might be in the database somewhere? Any pointers? One of my USB tuners is on the fritz and puts a lot of digital noise in the recordings, and I want to identify it and remove it.

9. HyRax1

Just open live TV and switch tuners in turn until you find the offender (press M to get the menu and choose a different source).

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

that, or from mythweb, the backend status page shows you the in-progress and upcoming recordings and which device they'll be recorded on, so you can catch it in the act.

I had a dodgy dual tuner a while ago, one of the two tuners wouldn't record anything, bit easier to track down, than some noise.

in the database is the 'recorded' table, it has a bunch of things not exposed through the UI, but I'm not sure if the recording device is one of those - and I'm away and can't check that now.

11. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

I had a look in the database and nothing immediately stood out to me linking a particular recorder to a recording.

I guess I will have to try one of the solutions involving actually being infront of the TV while the offending programme is being recorded... though I use Kodi as a front-end, which I am not sure supports switching the input.

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Hah, finally got around to trying again with the replacement of the frontend and backend. I got the audio splitter and played around with the audio settings of the frontend today. I got it working by using the following settings:

Code:
    Audio output device: ALSA:hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 (tick Dolby Digital and DTS)
    Speaker config: 5.1
    However, this only resulted in two channels being passed, as the TV tells the NUC that it has only two speakers. I used the following setting in the Advanced Audio Settings to get 5.1 passed without relying on whatever the TV was telling my NUC:

Code:
    Separate digital output device: ALSA:hdmi
    Which passes 5.1 audio out the HDMI output, and is correctly pulled off by the SPDIF splitter to my amp, hooray! So I can now have the NUC frontend and NUC backend that I've been working towards, huzzah!

13. HyRax1

Nice one! Glad you got it sorted! :thumbup:

14. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Thanks for your help, Hyrax :)

I've got the new backend up and running, version 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf42

[del]I've noticed that when I use 'esc' to get out of mythtv-setup, there's no sanity checking on the configuration - is this normal in 0.28, or is there a config that I've missed?[/del]

Never mind, the backend setup was pointing at 127.0.0.1 instead of the correct IP address, so mythtv-setup couldn't do sanity checks! Fixed now :)

Edit: AHAHAHAHA and DON'T FORGET to tick 'upmix stereo to 5.1', otherwise channels that broadcast in stereo (MP2, yes, MP2), WON'T HAVE ANY AUDIO.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  15. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

So, yesterday was an exercise in frustration, everything went well until I rescanned for updated channels, and it all went to poo:
    • Why are my PlayTV tuners picking up four copies of the channel 'ABC'? (And similarly for other channels, I suspect that some of them are Gold Coast transmitter frequencies (I live about 8km south of the Brisbane CBD))
    • Why are my tuners unable to tune ANY SBS channel, when the exact same tuners worked fine with the old backend and SBS?
    Sigh, later on this afternoon I'm going to ditch the database and restore from the old db again (current DB tells me that channel 2076 doesn't exist and can't open that channel, yes, I did some channel mania attempting to get the tuning working, sigh) and I can't start watching live TV - I know that I should be able to set the starting channel for the tuner, but channel 2076 isn't set to any tuner to start on!

I'll use the restored DB to prove that a single PlayTV can or can not see SBS (will plug them into the backend one at a time, see if I can tune the SBS frequency), and may have to get the antenna guy out to check my antenna (he said last time he was here, that because SBS would have a frequency change, I may have to get my antenna retuned, but that happened and my old setup could still receive SBS)

Frustrating!

16. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Alright. I got the new hardware working, I restored the db from the old hw, and DIDN'T retune channels. Duur, how about that, the tuners can see SBS and whatever just fine. So, WAF is up, hooray.

BAD NEWS, I cocked up mounting the TV recordings lv and the root partition filled up overnight, boo. Fixed the mounts first thing this morning, but the db couldn't write and is buggered, as far as I can tell, well, mysql won't start, sigh.

The easiest way of recovering is to restore from my most recent mysql backup, right? God knows what is broken in the db after the partition filled up. (Does anyone here put their db on a separate lv/partition?)

17. HyRax1

My /home /var and /srv are all on separate partitions/volumes to protect against accidental filling up of the root filesystem.

Yes, restore your most recent backup and you should be fine (bar missing any info about recordings taken since that backup).

18. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I used to do that for years, and had no 'full root' partition events, and got lazy... Oh well, that will (re)learn me!

19. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Crap. mysql won't start, and the very helpful log event is:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql status
    ● mysql.service - MySQL Community Server
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mysql.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: activating (start-post) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2017-05-17 16:30:25 AEST; 17s ago
      Process: 10284 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/mysqld (code=exited, status=2)
      Process: 10275 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/mysql/mysql-systemd-start pre (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
     Main PID: 10284 (code=exited, status=2);         : 10285 (mysql-systemd-s)
        Tasks: 2
       Memory: 12.3M
          CPU: 321ms
       CGroup: /system.slice/mysql.service
               └─control
                 ├─10285 /bin/bash /usr/share/mysql/mysql-systemd-start post
                 └─10348 sleep 1

May 17 16:30:25 mythtvserver17 systemd[1]: Starting MySQL Community Server...
    May 17 16:30:25 mythtvserver17 systemd[1]: mysql.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
    Er, does anyone have any pointers on how to fix this?

Edit: Talking to myself here, I moved all the files out of the /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg directory, figuring that they would all be replaced anyway, and that the db files in /var/lib/mysql/mysql probably wouldn't have changed, and yeeha, mysql started and I've been able to restore the mythtv database!
    Now to see if I can run mythtv-setup...

Edit edit: No. tail of mythtv-setup.log has this as the last line:
    Code:
    May 17 17:00:38 mythtvserver17 mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[13915]: E CoreContext main.cpp:533 (main) MySQL time zone support is missing.  Please install it and try again.  See 'mysql_tzinfo_to_sql' for assistance.
    Following the instructions at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MySQL_Time_Zone_Tables, I can't run mysql, I get told "ERROR 1524 (HY000): Plugin 'auth_socket' is not loaded". I'm googling to see if I can find a fix, no luck so far.

How do I completely drop all config from mysql and create it all from scratch? Without being able to log onto mysql?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  20. HyRax1

Assuming you don't have any other databases, just purge MySQL from your system:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get purge .*mysql.*

...and that will remove not only the application, but all its configuration too.

Then just reinstall it:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install mysql-server

(or use "sudo tasksel" and choose the LAMP option again).

MySQL is now back on with default config (which you will need to modify to allow other clients to connect remotely).

Now restore your last MythTV backup and you should theoretically be fine.