MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Thanks Hyrax, I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 and when I try to remove mysql:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get purge .*mysql.*
    <bunches_of_stuff_clipped>
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      libdbd-mysql-perl* libmysqlclient20* libmyth-0.28-0* libmyth-python* libmythtv-perl* libqt5sql5-mysql* mysql-client-5.7* mysql-client-core-5.7* mysql-common* mysql-server* mysql-server-5.7* mysql-server-core-5.7*
      mythtv-backend* mythtv-backend-master* mythtv-common* mythtv-database* mythtv-dbg* mythtv-transcode-utils* mythweb* php-mysql* php7.0-mysql* python-mysqldb*
    Which seems like it'll break a bunch of stuff, the mythtv-backend etc. Which doesn't matter too much, no point in having the mythtv packages installed if the db won't run, I'm just a bit gun shy!

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yes, anything dependent on MySQL will be removed as well - sorry, should have mentioned that.

You could use dpkg to remove MySQL without removing dependent apps (ie: deliberately create broken dependencies), but that is not recommended.

3. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Yeah, I've forced broken dependencies before, it's not fun.

I'll have to come back to this later on tonight, I will have to bite the bullet and remove the broken mysql stuff, it's not working anyway, right?!?!

HOLY - I can get onto the db with use mythtv! Um, why can I get onto the db as this user but mythtv-setup fails???

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  4. HyRax1

If you can connect manually from the terminal from the remote PC, you should be fine, ie:

Code:
    $ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg -h IP.OF.BACKEND.PC

If you cannot do that, but it works directly on the server referring to 127.0.0.1, then you haven't configured MySQL to accept external connections.

5. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Something was totally toasted, that was for sure.

I fixed my situation like this:
    Blow away all the files in /var/lib/mysql
    run: mysqld --initialize-insecure
    Set up the blank mythtv db: mysql -u root < /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
    update the password for the mythtv sql user to match the password in the sql backup and restore said backup:
    ./mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --filename ../bladeblabla/mythconverg-1317-datestamp.sql.gz --verbose
    reinstall the TZ data: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MySQL_Time_Zone_Tables

and I can now run $ sudo setup-mythtv

holy crap. going to bed, will see what I've got tomorrow afternoon :)

Thanks for the help, HyRax!

6. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Well, I got it all back and working, but there was a strange problem, the db was just a bit slow, which caused playback issues, there was a slight stuttering as the frontend reported 'waiting for buffer 105ms AAUAUuauauauuAAAAIIIII'.

Given that I'd spent hours on it already, I did what you suggested and pissed off all the mysql packages, reinstalled mysql-server and mythtv-backend and mythtv-database, successfully restored the backup and everything is working again without any buffering, hooray!

7. HyRax1

Well done, young grasshopper! ;)

8. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I've switched from MythTV to TVHeadend, personally I find TVHeadend far better than MythTV. :paranoid:

9. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Thanks for your heap! I couldn't get the debian-sys-maint account recreated in the db, and decided to try the remove mysql and reinstall, if that hadn't worked, I was going to take off and nuke it from orbit :p

10. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Noe that mythbuntu is no more, how are you Ubuntu guys doing new frontend installs?
    Just a vanilla Ubuntu with the myth packages?

11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

That's all I was using...

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Dragging up a post from a few pages ago:
    I saw one of these sell second hand for $100 today:
    http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-3064/

So yeah, I will try to get something along similar lines :D Will simplify my AV setup!

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I'd probably go one of the more lightweight distributions (Xubuntu, Lubuntu) but yeah.

Personally I haven't run a full frontend in a while, Kodi on a RasPi has been working well (but recorded TV is very much the secondary or tertiary purpose of that setup, most content comes from the video library).

14. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Yep ended up using xubuntu for that very reason. Couldn't change the default Ubuntu wm without it causing grief for Mythfrontend.

15. The Brad

The Brad Member

Hey peeps (commercial message here)

Would any of you who do use your Myth boxes for a lot of live TV recording be interested in reviewing the HDHomeRun Connect box which works really well with MythTV.

Have sent out 2 of these now to OCAU users who haven't come good with a review, so I am looking for someone who can deliver an informative and relevant review :)

Product in question if any of you haven't heard of it:
    https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

I already run two of those. but I'm no review writer. My only complaint is the 8-tuner one is so expensive. It'd suit my needs better (being rack mounted etc.).

17. The Brad

The Brad Member

Yeah it isn't a consumer product, it is commercial multicast so it's in a different class. It is like 1/10th the cost of competing products in that space!

18. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Is the EPG with the DVR service any good? I'm not really interested in using one with MythTV, but I'd consider using the DVR service instead of MythTV if the guide data was actually good.

19. treblid

treblid Member

[​IMG]

I'm running 3 HDHomeRuns from Kaiser Baas (sp?) in my MythTV setup for a while now. Think they are one and the same, but perhaps "connect" is a new model?

USB tuners gave me the shits but these HDRs are rock solid so far.

What kind of review are you looking for? MythTV specific? Can summarise in 3 words - they just work :thumbup:.

Too bad these days there's nothing to watch on FTA.

20. The Brad

The Brad Member

It is very good now - we had a... Bumpy start and had to change providers. Lots of people over at WP helped us gain lots of data for the eventual solution. Plex is now exactly where we were at when we started. We're trying to help them but right now it is a bloody disaster.

I think there's still some things missing for me for DVR to be the gun we need it to be. That said I don't really know how it relates to MythTV because I have never really run a MythTV setup in anger.

Perhaps a HDHomeRun Connect review including DVR could be good.

So the new model is a bunch easier to use but probably for the power user who is running Linux there may not be anything new or interesting. You have default apps now for Android, Windows, Mac, Linux which detect location and feed EPG data automatically, so setup is super quick. You can use DLNA to watch on iOS devices, Smart TVs, game consoles etc. There is a one-click Kodi plugin, which works really nicely. You can use Google Channels app on things like Nvidia Shield or Apple TV.

Other than that, it is the same rock-solid base that you know and love. I'm very glad that all the upgrades that came along keep getting fed back into the older units. They are certainly one of the most reliable products I've ever sold. My business only really sells commercial things but these are stable enough that we love selling them.