MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

If you can think of stuff it's missing, those features are likely already in MythTV, but in a clunky form patched over by a shell script you found on a forum somewhere.

2. The Brad

The Brad Member

For me ffwd playback with audio is something I used a lot in MCE that isn't in DVR, but I have no idea if that is in MythTV... I'd assume it is.

3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yes, a MythTV frontend will do that - big missing feature in Kodi, too.

I admit that I only used it for the worst of reasons - old TV shows (like, 70's and earlier) feel better paced by modern standards at 120%

4. The Brad

The Brad Member

I used it for Test Cricket, and introduction stuff to various TV shows, and repetitive segments etc.

5. tephra

tephra Member

what are people doing for guide data?

i use shepherd, but the yahoo7widget has been failing, and oztivo refuses to get some channels, not sure why...

6. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I'm using shepherd as well, there's something wrong with the guide data for SBS VICELAND, but I haven't been bothered to try to fix it - check the shepherd mailing list to see if anyone else is having the same problems as you.

7. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

GRRR. Nothing has changed, but the frontend doesn't feckin' do 5.1 out anymore. I've coaxed stereo out of it (after a lot of dicking around).

It's either a replacement receiver or a replacement frontend next.

8. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Yes, I can get a replacement receiver. For my situation for now, I am going to get a replacement frontend :p

Looking for recommendations for an ITX type system that has an NVIDIA video card, HDMI out and optical SPDIF out, thanks!

9. kreegor

kreegor Member

Do you want it to run MythTv frontend or a different frontend (e.g. Kodi)?

10. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

mythtv frontend - with the AV setup that I have, I want to have HDMI video out direct to the TV (that way when the TV switches input sources, the HDMI link between the TV and the frontend isn't lost, with the NUC and the SPDIF splitter in the HDMI link, if the TV switches video inputs, when it is switched back to the NUC frontend, the video is lost), and optical SPDIF directly to the receiver (current receiver does not do HDMI switching, yes I will get a newer receiver at some point!).

11. kreegor

kreegor Member

Have you tried one of these?

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

or

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/154/intel-nuc-hdmi-cec-adapter

I had a pulse eight HDMI for a while and it worked pretty well after some configuration.

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Cool, looks like a good solution.

I've actually tossed[0] the NUC in favor of an ITX build - reused the ITX Asus motherboard that I was using before the NUC (glad I didn't get around to selling it!) and rebuilt it into a Silverstone ML06B-E (only available retail in AU from Scorptec... went with the -E model to get the extra space for a video card, and the video card is not right beside the PS).

So now I have my digital audio coming out of my frontend via SPDIF straight to my receiver, and I got a new NVIDIA GT710 video card to use VDPAU on. A bit of messing around today and it's all working beautifully :D

0 - not literally thrown it out, but it won't be the frontend in the lounge any more!

13. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

The new case that I've got has a space and a tray in the top for mounting a slot-load DVD or BluRay drive. I've got a PS4 that does DVD/BluRay duty already, what's the support like in mythtv for DVD/BluRay playing? Last time I checked it would use an external s/w for playing a disc.

Edit: Link found after 5 seconds of googling: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Definition_Disk_Formats
    Edit: There seems to be one of these types of drive available off eBay: 12.7mm Internal Sata Slot Load Blu-Ray Combo Dvd Cd Burner Rewriter Optic Drive

But has anyone here actually used MythTV for BluRay playback?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017