NES mini console

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by jpower, Jul 15, 2016.

1. jpower

jpower Member

2. Reaper

Reaper Member

Official NES release

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160714005388/en/

The system comes packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter and one NES Classic Controller, which is patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller. But you really just want to know the full list of 30 games, right? Feast your eyes on the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system:
    • Balloon Fight™
    • BUBBLE BOBBLE
    • Castlevania™
    • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
    • Donkey Kong™
    • Donkey Kong Jr. ™
    • DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
    • Dr. Mario™
    • Excitebike™
    • FINAL FANTASY®
    • Galaga™
    • GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
    • GRADIUS™
    • Ice Climber™
    • Kid Icarus™
    • Kirby’s Adventure™
    • Mario Bros. ™
    • MEGA MAN® 2
    • Metroid™
    • NINJA GAIDEN
    • PAC-MAN™
    • Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
    • StarTropics™
    • SUPER C™
    • Super Mario Bros.™
    • Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
    • Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
    • TECMO BOWL
    • The Legend of Zelda™
    • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

There’s a little something for everyone: a nice mix of timeless favorites, cult classics and maybe even some games that you never got around to playing. Each is sure to bring back memories and produce plenty of new ones. You can even enjoy playing several of these games with two players by attaching a second NES Classic Controller, which will be sold separately at a suggested retail price of $9.99. A Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro can also be used (each sold separately).

3. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

4. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I need this, hurry the fuck up November

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yup, it's real. Could have come a lot sooner (given you can build a Raspberry Pi Zero with every NES ROM for 1/3 the price precisely because people have been bored of waiting for this), but it's good that it's finally a legitimate first party thing.

Sega have been doing similar things for years, which is great. It's great to see these companies formally acknowledging that old games are still fun, and we'll all gladly pay money for them still.

This thing is slated for US$60. If it lands here at AU$100, I'll spit chips.

6. Grant

Grant Member

Seems to be a better treatment of the concept than the junk ATGames has come out with for Sega consoles. HDMI out, Wii controller compatibility, good list of games, good price based on Virtual Console title prices.

Hopefully the emulation is good, but I don't think there'll be scan lines in the video output... I'd have to get a HDMI->SCART converter :tongue:

7. HSV

HSV Member

Big thing is that it's actually Nintendo releasing it.

Wonder if that flap is decorative or if it'll play carts? Very tempted to grab one!

8. elvis

I wonder how hackable this thing will be? Keen to see what happens when modders get a hold of it.

9. HSV

HSV Member

Will be very interesting to see, with a few more games (at least DuckTales!) on it it'd be a great system for general use (hopefully it is a decent emulator/SoC!).

10. power

power Member

very cool, would have been nice if they'd supported decent controllers though.

11. elvis

Ducktales was a Disney license developed and published by Capcom. Your chances of seeing that ROM appear legally are slim to none.

Folks need to realise that the big effort here is not technical, but legal. Wrangling licenses of old games is a complete pain in the arse, and that's where all the cost goes. (And also why this console has a bunch of Nintendo first party games, and anything else that's trivially licensed).

NES controllers aren't "decent"? Them's fighting words!

12. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I'm soooo picking this up. Yiiissss!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I know I can get the same games on an emulator, but come on.. how awesome does this thing look? And its licensed :pirate:

13. power

power Member

never was a huge NES pad fan - I was a joystick man until the Megadrive came out.

NES and MS pads suuuuuucked.

14. HSV

HSV Member

Err, yeah, know that, my comment was a reply to your comment about modding. Hopefully it's been left "accidently" a little open to abuse.

power, don't see the issue with the controllers - you can use these new official Nintendo NES pads, or the Wii pads (the one that's like a SNES pad with analogue sticks, or the "pro" one that's more modern). Personally don't see why you'd want anything other than the proper pad for the proper console :)

15. power

power Member

I just like options is all.

Also not to poo poo it too much but it NEEEEDS a cartridge port somehow.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  16. elvis

Well two things:

1) It can take any input device that is Wii compatible. And if you look around, you'll find a metric shitload of gamepads out there that are clones of just about every system past and present for the Wii classic controller input. Not to mention that hacking controllers into joysticks is a piece of cake (and if you're too lazy, there are tonnes of Wii arcade fighting sticks that will work nicely).

2) You're wrong about NES pads. :p

17. power

power Member

yeah there'd have to be something I guess, the Wii compatibility is good.

i wonder if you can use the Wii U pro, that's probably ninty's best controller yet, I know it's not compatible with the original Wii but yeah - decent.

NES pads - EW!

18. elvis

Images from the box that have been posted online make it look like it's wired controllers, using the plug in the back of a WiiMote. So that means the Wii Classic Controller and "Pro" version of that are usable it seems.

And then there's these guys:
    http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiGC/
    http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/

Who make adaptors for just about anything to Wii. Megadrive, SNES (best gamepad ever made IMHO), Playstation, whatever the hell you want. In 2016, your choice of controller is not limited at all.

While I acknowledge that ultimately there is no right and wrong, and only opinion, I still thing you're wrong. :p

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  19. elvis

Nintendo respond to questions:

http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116

Looks like it'll be a closed system with no expansion. For US$60, I'm not surprised at all. Still a great product though, I think.

20. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

While I'm going to be very very tempted to buy this, I really don't need *another* thing plugged into my TV. Why can't there be a XBox or PlayStation port of more stuff. Yeah, I understand this is because the Wii is still a thing... but a man can dream.