New internet slow as (Lag)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by supernom, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Linkin

Linkin Member

Could be. But you still haven't given us the ADSL stats from your modem. I doubt there's much that can be done with that line length though.

FYI adsl2exchanges isn't 100% accurate. At my old place it said max speed of about 8000, we got more than that, and even more when the line was replaced. At our new place, it says we should get a maximum of 11000, but again we get more than that. 15600-16000kpbs.

2. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Are you sure someone isn't torrenting with dodgy settings on the network? Your uptime is three hours and you've already uploaded 2.1 gig.

That doesn't even seem possible!

3. Linkin

Linkin Member

Oh, somehow missed that he posted stats!

As above. Lock down your network to you and your lan connection only for a while. Also report a fault with your ISP, no line should have 45db upstream. In fact, no line should have an upstream attenuation that is higher than the downstream one! For the record my down/up attenuation is 31.5db down and 14.7db up! Yours is way out.

4. supernom

supernom Member

So yeah finally got around to getting onto telstra about this, and after a few days of back and forth calls they have said everything at there end looks fine, must be a problem at our end.... :(

These stats are as of right now
    Considering forking out for a brand new router right now

Currently running on a different router, an old one we used to use back in NZ. Get the same results on speedtest.net
    [​IMG]

Some stats from this router
    Code:

Item	           Downstream	Upstream	Unit
    SNR Margin	6	           6	            dB
    Line Attenuation	34	           45	              dB
    Data Rate	12246	           434	            kbps
    So I don't even know if buying a new router would make any difference

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. supernom

supernom Member

In an attempt to resolve our issue of net dropping out when the phone rings, I picked up 2 new adsl filters and plugged them in, but it did not solve the problem.

Does anyone know what else it can be ? We asked telstra about it and they said it is the faulty filters, but nope.