SOLVED New pc - router drops all connections when idle downloading

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by BishaiR, Jun 19, 2017.

1. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

Hey everyone,
    I have a conundrum I've never seen before as Google isn't producing much help. Unsure what to do at this point.

Just finished building my pc, internet works great, no issues all drivers up to date and all. Downloading works fine when I use the computer however once I leave my pc to finish downloading about 20-30 minutes all internet connection including wifi drops out and I have to manually switch the router on and off again to get a signal back. The lights stay the same. Downloading through wifi is no issue only through eth cable. Whether it's through utorrent or chrome it's the same issue

My mobo has 2 lan ports and it seems to be doing it in both. Router is also under a month old from optus adsl + 2. I've changed the position on the router it's plugged into but same result.

Could it be a bad cable? Will change that today. Its very odd that it cuts all connections from the router when I download and leave the pc
    Specs:
    Gigabyte z270x gaming 5
    EVGA g2 750w
    I5 7600k
    G.skill rgb 3000
    Gigabyte gtx 1070
    Crucial mx300 525gb ssd
    Thermaltake cable extensions

FINALY EDIT:
    igmp snooping was enabled - after disabling it no more drop outs, no more issues, everything works perfectly. Unsure why it didn't work over wifi but while on Ethernet it blocked my connections

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  2. thmrsh

thmrsh Member

First thing I'd do is try to rule out software interference.
    Try a live boot of Ubuntu or some type of Linux and see if the problem persists.
    You could also try running netadapter repair on your windows PC.
    Check your power settings also to see if anything is disabling network after a certain amount of time.

3. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

what are your power settings?
    balanced power settings from memory could do something like this if your walking away allowing to allow it to download.

from the specs it seems that it is a gaming build, how is multiplayer gaming for over this time? does the same thing happen?

4. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

Settings are on high performance. I've ruled out any sort of setting allowing the internet connection to be cut off from the pc side.

In terms of multi-player being on adsl its taking a while to download tho I get a good 1 mb/s downloading while I'm not afk.

I'm going to put the pc into safe mode and try downloading the same way and see if that brings on any result

5. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

ok high performance should be fine,
    have you tried a different Ethernet port on the router?

from looking at the product page on the MB it has killer ethernet, are you using that or the intel port?
    i would suggest turning off everything to do with the killer nic, last time i used one there was no difference in performance and there was a memory leak in the software.
    So i would be checking though the software to see if there are any "feature" settings that would be causing this issue.

as Marshy919 said try a Linux live boot as well, would help eliminate software.

6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Power settings for network adapters are not in the power management page (stupid I know). Go to your Device Manager, click on Network adapters, select the NIC and go find Power Management page. Untick the box that allows your system to turn off NIC to save power.

7. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

Ill download Linux over wifi and get this out. I tried both ports with and without the software. Same issue arose.
    Will give Linux a go after safe mode
    Thanks for the tip I have done this prior to trying safe mode now and still didn't make a difference. The weird part is the router just stops sending a network signal through wifi and wired Connections.

8. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

Update 1: so far running utorrent in safe mode hasn't brought on a disconnect as of yet. It usually happens around this mark slightly earlier will keep running for another hour or so.

Pointing towards a software issue as previously suggested

9. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

that's progress at least.
    biased opinion: it would be something to do with the Killer software, last gigabyte board I owned with this (Z87 gaming) was the worst experience I have every had with a motherboard.

i would expect that doing a live boot linux would work fine as well given the current status.

side note: look at an app called transmission qt for windows. great little app for torrents with no fuss.

10. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

Will see how progress is when I get back home now.
    Thanks for the tips guys will see what's happening in a few hours at least. Appreciate the time

Will look into qt as well utorrent is flooding with ads now

11. thmrsh

thmrsh Member

Deluge is good for torrents.
    What I'd do now is use sdi origin to update drivers. Uninstall everything to do with killer.
    Let us know how that goes.

12. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

Update 2: safe mode brings no issues downloading
    I rolled back drivers, Uninstalled killer and everything to do with it but problem still persists. Will try origin now and report back when I find out more.

It's almost definitely software related

13. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

Update 3 (for anyone following/same issues):
    I have yet to confirm if this fixed anything however I uninstalled all lan drivers and let windows update itself. I ran a download and had no issues. Will test again after work but it seemed promising so far

14. BishaiR

BishaiR Member

So something interesting is happening. I downloaded qbittorrent as a suggestion and within about 5minutes I got disconnected like usual.
    It seems to be pointing to my router settings/ISP (optus adsl2+)

Is there a way around this?

FINALY EDIT:
    igmp snooping was enabled - after disabling it no more drop outs, no more issues, everything works perfectly. Unsure why it didn't work over wifi but while on Ethernet it blocked my connections

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017