Next-gen Nintendo Wii U Announced

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by thebranded, Apr 15, 2011.

1. thebranded

thebranded Member

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

Well its about time Nintendo releases a HD console, as long as they dont start thinking that graphics alone makes a good game.

[EDIT]
    Will it seems Nintendo have officially said it will release a new console in 2012, with preview in E3 2011.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/nintendo-confirms-next-wii-in-2012-will-preview-it-at-e3/

OFFICAL PICS and SPEC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further videos and details in thread

btw thx to the mod that edited title

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

so long as they stick with the simple game play of the current titles. im sure many would pick this up including myself. its great for kiddies too. easy to pick up games makes more fun for everyone.

if i wanted to play all by myself i have the ps3 for that. if i wanted a multiplayer fun with mates. thats where the wii comes to its own.

3. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Fuck head.

4. Queenie

Queenie Member

ten bucks on skyward sword seeing twilight princess treatment and whatnot and another 10 on this console being the next gamecube or n64 followed by ninty's next revolution.

and another 10 bucks on nintendo making a crapload of money out of whatever they do. Well, that's a given.

5. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

I really don't know how this will work out. It really comes down to what they include in it to set it apart from the competition.

But if they do get the jump on Sony and Microsoft it might work out in their favour.

6. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

As long as they continue to tread new ground where others won't, I don't see the need for another console offering the same experience as the PS3/360. The emphasis seems to be on the graphics throughout the whole article, it's a massive selling point, not that many people will admit it.

@ Skyward sword.. that would suck.

7. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Very true.

It's like i have a PS3 or 360, with or without Kinect/Move, why do i need a graphically better Wii? No real reason unless it brings something major to the table.

8. Queenie

Queenie Member

like a sequel to jet force gemini... but that'd be on 360 so :(

hm

majora's mask rerelease.

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

i thought nintendo had already stated they won't be using the wii name/motion controls in their next console?

10. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I don't think they'll do push Skyward Sword onto it. The rumours seem to be saying a late 2012 release. That would mean they'd have to delay Zelda by almost a year just to get a ported Wii game on this 'hi def' console. Better off spending that year developing a new game that's actually designed for a much more powerful console.

Radiant, don't know about that but I'd say it's a safe bet they'll go for full backwards compatibility and get all the Wiimotes and so on working on the new console.

As I mentioned in my post in another thread regarding this, I think the best idea, is they'll go for coexisting consoles. The PS2 proved that a cheap casual console can coexist with an expensive powerful 'hardcore' one. Even sweeter if full backwards compatibility is maintained, maybe even some perks. How nice would it be to chuck in your Wii copy of Skyward Sword and have it run in native, not upscaled 1080p. Emulators can do it, maybe a console could.

Another thought, could we see an AMD APU make it's way into a console?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  11. proffesso

proffesso Member

if nintendo has announced this, then development of HD titles have already started internally. you dont develop a game in a year, not for a major platform launch, and especially not 1st party.

12. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Nintendo are revolutionary, they look for new ideas.

They aren't gonna simply do the stupid Wii-HD trick, that's a MS style trick.

Something else will be planned, you can guarantee it.

13. proffesso

proffesso Member

supernintendo, n64, gamecube, gameboy advance, gameboy micro etc dont really strike me as revolutionary ;)

ninendo got LUCKY with the Wii...thats all, they needed something else since they couldnt compete technically.

they will really have to be thinking outside the box on this new one...motion controls have been bettered by MS and Sony now, to the point of not needing a controller at all...

14. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I meant using that year for development not developing an entire game in a year, as there's no real benefit in delaying what will be a massive selling Wii title to a much more powerful console. It wouldn't show off the abilities of the new console without some major work done to it. It worked with Twilight princess because the Wii wasn't a massive step up from the GC. If rumours are to believed and it's more powerful than a PS3 or X360, then a Wii game would look rather shit for a launch title. So you'd spend a year porting a relatively ugly game to likely sell fewer copies. Plus you'd piss off your fan base. Nothing to gain really except increasing the interest in your new console at launch that chances are will sell out world wide even if it had no games.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  15. TOFUGil

TOFUGil Member

But but its in HD :lol:

well the fanboy in me got excited, hope its true that a new console is coming soon.

16. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Pfffttt Ignore what would ruin your story?

The Gameboy?

The DS?

The original Nintendo?

And the 64 was revolutionary, 3D games coming the norm with a joystick.

They didn't get 'lucky', They arent some here today gone tomorrow company FFS.

17. proffesso

proffesso Member

i didnt ignore them, since i think they ARE good concepts. i listed all their NON revolutionary ones...as in, they arent always this groundbreaking company that transforms the industry with everything they release.

and anyway...lets break down their "revelutionary" ideas

gameboy - evolution of the handheld lcd game
    DS - someone saw a PDA and thought "we can play games with that"
    original nintendo "hey, this magnavox oddessy and atari 2600's are great...we should get in on that"

N64 - analogue joystick...been done as well :)

nothing revolutionary...its all evolutionary ;)

what they did well, far better than anyone else, was market the devices correctly.

18. Queenie

Queenie Member

i'm pretty sure nintendo invented the bloody analogue joystiq for mario 64.

19. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

It's best not to argue with him, he'd be on the opposite side of his own argument if it suited him.

Compared to Sony and Microsoft Nintendo are miles ahead, forgive me if I think turning the graphics up to 11 with each console revision isn't revolutionary.

20. proffesso

proffesso Member

:)

at least you know i fight all angles...I dont like fanboyism

i just dont like terms thrown around like revolutionary etc...makes them sound far more important than they are.