NGV Melbourne making it harder for photographers

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by jjphoto, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

Just a warning to photogs visiting the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) Melbourne.

The NGV has NEW bag size restrictions for items that you can take into the gallery. This will affect any photographer who is NOT keen on leaving their expensive gear in a busy cloak room. This is a recent change, I’ve never had a problem before yesterday, and one which is not documented on their web site (http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/about/reports-and-documents/terms-and-conditions-of-public-entry/ ) so I can't tell you what size is actually allowable. However, I was not allowed to bring in a 'Billingham Hadley Large' ( https://www.billingham.co.uk/hadley-large.html ), despite it fitting (reluctantly) into the bag size gauge they have on their cloak desk. My bag is 380mm x 140mm x 310mm and is probably what you would call a medium size bag, probably a bit smaller than a laptop bag, just fatter.

I'm a regular at NGV Melbourne and have been for a long time so am annoyed at this change as it seems pointless. I’ve entered several galleries in just the last few weeks (Canberra Portrait Gallery, National Gallery of Australia, Geelong Art Gallery) with the same bag mentioned above with no problems. Not sure why NGV is making it harder than it needs to be, but consider yourself warned.

Is it ironic that I tried to see a photography exhibit and couldn’t bring in my camera bag? Maybe.

2. Scootre

Scootre Member

Contact their security manager and plead your case, offering for them to search before entry. It will cost nothing to ask.

3. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

A few galleries have bag restrictions, but as they targeted mainly backpacks I assumed it was a "bumping into things and knocking them over" issue.

4. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

I'm happy to go back with a smaller bag another time.

That's understandable too.

5. oculi

oculi Member

Last time I went to an exhibit at the NGV they specifically wouldn't let me take my camera in, think I had a lowapro Nova 2 shoulder bag at the time which is pretty small. I said I had just been to the Louvre not too long ago and they didn't care about people taking cameras in so why did they? they said *shrug*

Do they let people take cameras in nowadays?

6. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

Photography at the NGV is allowed and this is the same in most galleries in the world (there are some exceptions). The exception at the NGV, and most other galleries, is for certain special exhibits where art comes in from other galleries and/or private collections so photography is often specifically not allowed and this is stated at the entry to the exhibit. This happens a lot, is expected, and to my mind that's OK.

7. Scootre

Scootre Member

As above but often the rules about photos relate to flash not being allowed due to the UV pulse causing damage over time to museum / gallery Objects.

Also not allowed is photography of copyright works. But they'll tell you either before you enter an exhibit or by using signs; or by banning phones and cameras all together.

But that's not what the OP was talking about. The thread was about taking a large bag, camera gear or otherwise, into a Gallery because they'd changed the bag size rules.

I worked for five years at one on Australia's biggest museums. My post above this mentions talking to the Security boss. Or even the Visitors dept. If you tell them your concerns about your gear, they will often give you permission as long as you follow some guidelines.

8. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I think they don't allow people to carry their backpacks on their back, but allow you to carry them in. That's the case I encountered on the weekend

10. Scootre

Scootre Member

Buy a Ventolin mask, attach a couple of tubes and run them into you backpack. Walk in, wheezing like Christopher Skase. They'll let you in for sure.