Nintendo Switch - March 3 2017 - $US299 - $AU469.95 RRP

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Mar 17, 2015.

1. power

power Member

What is it? Apparently it's their new hw, it has a terrible name. Hopefully it doesn't suck and isn't just another variation on the ds. Oh and supposedly they are doing something related to "mobile" by which they mean iOS and Android.

More details as they arrive!

2. power

power Member

NX IS NINTENDO'S NEW NEXT-GENERATION HARDWARE CONCEPT

Here's hoping they can shake the confusing naming schemes which are imo ruining sales. That and HW that cannot compete is chasing away third party manufacturers who look at the crappy HW and go, meh.

3. claf-43

claf-43 Member

I genuinely belive this will be a Console/Hand Held in one, something that can replace both devices. Would be perfect and would atleast go a long way to alleviating problems with lack of games.

4. ndt

ndt Member

Hopefully the hardware will be decent enough if it is some kinda hybrid.

I never owned one but the PS vita's graphics looked alright for a handheld hopefully seeing as that hardware is now a few years old and this new console is a few years away. Maybe Nintendo can bring out something just behind the xbox one graphics in a handheld.

Either that or they're gonna bring out a Nintendo phone.

5. power

power Member

Wii U is closer to dead than we thought, this system is definitely shipping soon with these kind of sales predictions. Tentatively they appear to be looking at July launch, very optimistic sales figures for a mid year launch.

Nintendo NX suppliers rumoured to be aiming to ship 12 million units in 2016

6. claf-43

claf-43 Member

The sales forecasts are just rubbish, but it's quite possible it'll come next year....

7. power

power Member

THERE'S A WHOLE HOST OF NEW NX RUMOURS FLOATING AROUND

Some of these if true make it sound pretty amazing, however if the just the same hw underneath is true that's a little disappointing.

8. stitch512

stitch512 Member

9. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

I hope for Nintendo's sake that the rumours aren't true regarding the hardware. I can't see how a console that is only 'just' as powerful as the consoles that have been around for 2-3 years will do any better than the Wii U.

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

had an email saying something about a nintendo direct thingy coming up soon...
    But i deleted it without reading..

11. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Got the same email. Nothing to do with NX however

12. power

power Member

that controller everyone has been talking about has been leaking images all over the shop, it looks real enough and being that it matches that patent they filed could be real - or at least a prototype.

Looks like they haven't given up on a screen in the controller, my first thought seeing this controller is that it's a bad idea as cool as it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I can see where they are coming from. If you do something bigger and better they'll lose out as their market share compared to Sony and MS is much less and it will be costly. If they match the specs they create options for devs to also have their games on the NX platform too while maintaining lower costs for the hardware.

It's a simple 'me too' idea that brings more to them without affecting the major cross platform releases.

14. flightcrank

flightcrank Member

i dont think its real at all. nintendo have a rich history of making really good feeling controllers to hold. the snes with nice round edges was a big step up from the nes square design. the 64 was the first one with analogue thumb stick and multiples ways to hold. The gamecube controller was one of the best ever made with the best triggers of any controller imo. the wiimote was a major departure from the industry standard yet also super comfortable with perfect a + b button placement. the wiiu again a major departure with huge screen in the center yet still very comfortable to hold.

that prototype looks anything but comfortable and its simply not nintendo. Its not something they would give to consumers.

putting the wiiu controller in the second picture just reeks of a setup

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  15. martini.txt

martini.txt Member

Not saying the pic above is legit or anything, but the patent shows hand grips, so it's possible it would include a handgrip accessory for ergo. and then that can be removed so it's properly portable again, fit into your pocket etc.

16. power

power Member

I'm sorry but most Nintendo controllers are a) hugely different from their predecessor and/or b) weird at first glance.

that controller would fit right in with the evolution of Nintendo controllers.

Think for a moment just how different all the Nintendo controllers are.

I mean the last 3 for example are GC > Wiimote > WiiU tablet thingy. N64 controller was not a nice thing to hold, NES was pretty shocking, SNES is probably the best but the MD controller was more ergonomic by a fair margin.

The only two actual "normal" controllers they've had of late are the Wii's awful, awful pro controller and the WiiU's 360 knockoff that they moved the right stick on.

One thing that every Nintendo controller does have is that it will be wildly different than what went before and usually not what you will expect (the WiiU pro controller is the most conventional they've ever made imo).

17. flightcrank

flightcrank Member

i already pointed all that out.

no it would'nt all nintendo controllers are super comfortable. that one breaks that pattern.

yes it was, not saying it was the best ever but was still comfortable

for an early 80's standpoint no it wasn't it was a huge step up from the atari 2600 people were used to.

worng again, MD had only 3 buttons, no shoulder buttons. not to mention the 3 buttons layed out in a line. the snes buttons were all pushable by barely moving your right thumb at all.

no ones talking about normal, its the comfort factor. nintendo have always made comfortable controllers

again i already pointed that out.

that controller is definitely not for the NX it breaks the patten that nintendo have established since their inception of comfortable controllers.

18. power

power Member

I fully expect you to eat all of the words if that turns out to be close to the final controller.

and IMO, most ninetndo controllers are not what I would call comfotable to hold - but they work and they show Nintendo are willing to try something different (unless you count portables - everything is just an iteration of G&W :) ).

19. flightcrank

flightcrank Member

sure ill eat em. but if im right you gotta eat yours to, with french fried potatos.

20. power

power Member

:)

I never said that it will definitely be the controller :)

I'll take those fries though :thumbup: