O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

I have no question.

I am going to Canada!

What: Leaving for Canada
    When: December
    Where: Canada...see above!
    Why: Because I can and this is my last chance!
    How: Flying, staying for 2 years on the WHP

So I have done the whole round the world trip before but this time I am branching out and heading solo! At the ripe age of 31 I am heading off to backpack around Canada. The plan will involve a lot of beer, snowboarding, traveling to the remotest parts of Canada, and chasing girls who are 12 years younger than me.:thumbup:

Wish me luck. I am excited so I needed to vent that out to someone!:D:leet:

EDIT: If you can learn AFL at 31 then yo can learn Ice hockey at 32

2. FB008

FB008 Member

sounds like an awesome plan mate, have fun :thumbup:

3. will_ong

will_ong Member

Awesome mate. I've just returned from Canada on that WHP visa too. Was going to stay for a lot longer but ran out of cash (thanks economic crisis), and I broke my leg skiing in Banff...

4. jesh

jesh Member

Awesome, keep us posted how you go! :)

Will_ong, what's the WHP like in Canada? I hear there's no limit to hours/income you can earn, seems weird but great if it's true. Are people less likely to employ you on a WHP than a regular working visa? (I mean 'real' work other than the usual ski fields/hospitality jobs.)

5. Comma

Comma Member

Snowboarding!

6. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

<monty python accent>
    You lu'iee lu'iee lu'iee lu'iee barrrsted
    </python>

Awesome man, time to start an Ashpool's Travel Blog!

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

8. will_ong

will_ong Member

Hey mate,

The WHP is pretty damn good. As far as I know there's no limit to the hours/income you can earn. Nor the type of job you can be employed in - with the exception of education. But please double check this before you make any serious plans though.

I was working as a ski instructor last winter, then started looking around for some IT work towards the end of my contract. I didn't end up landing a job in time, ran out of cash so decided to fly home. The regular working visa thing (sponsorship) is a pretty big deal, so you've got to emphasize that you are legally entitled to work in Canada and the WHP visa won't be a problem. I did get the impression that employers for permanent roles were leaning towards local talent and were a tiny bit phased by "only two years".
    One of my housemates over there from Perth landed a job as a skate park designer in Vancouver (lucky bugger), and he's shooting for permanent residency.

9. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I'll be heading back to Vancouver in December for a month or so. Damn I miss it! I reckon I'll be back there more long term in a couple of years - my GF is Canadian :)

Go to Alaska while you're there. You won't regret it.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

ah Vancouver so many awesome memouries.....

i also beleive any hopsital work is no go too also any gov positions other then that yeah .. fairly open slather...

11. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

You can work anywhere. Even in schools etc, but you need to have a medical and criminal record check.

IT ....its a free for all no checks.

12. nine_7_six

nine_7_six Member

ha! i'm planning to do this too in a few months :)

can't wait! I hope landing a I.T job won't be too hard and will still allow me to travel and see places on the weekends.

13. remi

remi Member

Official website: http://www.whpcanada.org.au/introduction.shtml

I was in Toronto, Canada from Aug 08 to Apr 09. Global financial crisis has brought me home to Oz much sooner than expected.

Application took me less than 15 minutes to complete. Fee is currently AU$190 payable to Sydney. I had mine processed in about 8 days. They send you an email with the confirmation that is valid for 12 months. No need to send them your passport, they do it all on the border when you enter.

Quite possibly the easiest working Visa an Australian can get.

Be aware that the crisis is making job hunting pretty tough and will be that way until at least the end of 2009 in my opinion. Vancouver/Whistler is hosting the Winter Olympics in February 2010, so be aware of a severe lack of accommodation at that time.

14. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

Anyone got some hints/tips on booking flights to Canada?

I'm looking to go in March/April 2010 so I've got plenty of time to plan and look for good deals. Do cheap fares ever pop up? Who's the best carrier and which route to take?

Planning on doing a week long dog sledding + camping tour!

15. Zee

Zee Member

Air Canada fly non-stop to Canada now, which is much better than going via Honalulu. If you go through the US at all, you have to go through USA immiagration (just to transit the airport!!!) it is verry annoying, and, unless you actually want to go to the US, or thasw out in Honalulu on your way home, I'd go with Air Canada. I find the best deals for all my flights are eithervia travel.com.au, or zuji.com.au. If anyone has a cheaper site for ticket pricing, let me know...

Z...

16. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Well I've been looking into it so far. The cheapest routes from aus are generally from
    Brisbane via Los Angeles to Vancouver
    You can also go Brisbane via Los Angeles via Seattle

Sydney, and Melb tend to attract approx $100 and $200 extra respectivly.

This should cost around 1600-1900 one way/

You can go direct but that costs more again putting flights around the 2000 dolar mark.

There are some budget airlines but I am thinking of picking somthing around 2000 and a mid range carrier like Qantas, Air NZ or Air Canada.

Do a search on the usual sites, flight centre, webjet ect and have a play around with multi stop to make it cheaper. Also have a look at the airlines directly as prices are very close.

17. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

A direct flight sounds much better and worth the extra cost.

Quickly clicking around Air Canada's site I got a price of ~$1750 from Sydney to Vancouver... (assuming their currency conversion works properly). Awesome price, I'd be happy to pay anything under $2000.

18. protecon

protecon Member

As mentioned, direct flights are definately the best way.
    Ours were $2100 each from Perth to Sydney and then direct to Vancouver.
    The SYD > YVR leg was about 14 hours, so you get a decent amount of sleep without being sparsed with takeoffs/landings at stopovers.

Previously we'd flown Perth > Denpasar > Guam > Honolulu > Houston > Vancouver on airmiles to save money. You're absolutely exhausted by the time you get there!

19. Snatch

Snatch Member

Best beavers in the world ;)

20. Wacky

Wacky Member

We're heading over in December too, to Calgary/Edmonton to spend Christmas with family, and they can meet our second born who will be 4 months old by then (not born yet). Unfortunately we'll only be there for 4 or 5 weeks :(

We are trying to get my first son a Canadian passport as my wife is Canadian, but we need to get a citizenship certificate first. They estimate this will take 14 months currently - 14 months ! Wish it was just a VISA application !