OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

I wouldn't go any smaller than a dual rec for the bedroom. Maybe a small modelling amp or pod w/ headphones if you're gigging?

2. ndt

ndt Member

3. -Rift-

-Rift- Member

4. Edstructicon

Edstructicon Member

5. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

Periphery!

Some dude that covered periphery also and has some sweet originals, i loved the groove in one of his riffs so i covered that too.

this is that guys original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Wrk_-k1Fg

6. recoN

recoN Member

I mainly play any variety of metal but I'd like a nice clean tone too. I don't intend to louder than enough for me to hear it in my bedroom, budget is around $500. Not sure about built in effects, might just grab an effects board or some pedals.

edit: I've got a distortion pedal already but if it has a high quality one that's a bonus.

7. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

I think someone mentioned the peavey vyper a few pages back and I'll vouch for that too. It's a pretty awesome sounding amp for what it is and it does metal well which can't be said for a lot of cheap amps (or any solid state really). Has the usual effects and what not which are decent enough. Was thinking of picking one up myself to keep at my gfs place.

8. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
  9. shredder

shredder Member

Hmm.

Extremely useful and knowledgeable, check.
    Roughly a million pages long, check.

I've saved it directly to my "Essential Documents" folder, where it can languish for the next several years/decades until I get around to either reading it or dying. Or optimistically-speaking, until the Matrix "instantaneous skill absorption" (which sneaky bugger slipped a "p" into that word??) technique is invented. Presumably by somebody who bothered to read their "Essential Documents" folder... :p

10. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

The man is a GOLDEN GOD

11. atmo

atmo Member

$500 is a bit of a difficult price point in that case. You're at least a few hundred short of getting into the entry level valve combos (at least those with a clean & dirty channel, built in eq, reverb etc), but with solid state amps in that price range you're mainly buying more output and effects over a $200-300 10-15w amp.

It'll cost a lot more if you're going to buy separate pedals over something with built in effects like the aforementioned Peavy or a VOX Valvetronix, but spending the extra for an amp with lots of effects is silly if you're already thinking of replacing those functions with pedals, so I'd decide which path you want to go down before spending any cash.

12. ndt

ndt Member

i've seen a few randall rg50tc go for $500 2nd, there pretty nice 1x12 valve combos....thats what i paid for mine.

13. recoN

recoN Member

I'm thinking the Line 6 Spider IV 15. Or Peavey Vypyr 15. Might have to check out how both sound first.

New to amps, does the quality of the amp itself(clean tone) matter when using a distortion pedal?

14. Edstructicon

Edstructicon Member

I'm using my mt-2 on a heavy channel (amp model) and dialing the gain right back. You still get the balls of the amp and the treble/distortion from the pedal.

If you run the mt-2 on a clean channel with no amp distortion then it sounds crap.

15. break

break Member

I haven't tried the 15 watt versions, but at 30w and 75w the Vypyr absolutely mops the floor with the Line6 gear.

I'm just about to purchase a Vypyr 75 as a result... super impressed with it.

16. dasbok

dasbok New Member

Delay peddles, and units.

I'm really wanting some nice analogue delay, and just wondering what people would recommend, I've already checked out the Vox Time Machine which seemed to limited, the Behringer VM1 (which actually seems alright), the MXR Carbon Copy (again seems alright), and the Digitech Time Bender (not entirely sold on it).

I'm mainly looking for around 500ms-800ms delay, that I can set as I want (none of this 100ms/250ms/500ms only stuff like the Vox unless you tap-time it). Rack - MIDI controlled is fine as long as its priced comparable to a normal peddle...

17. -Rift-

-Rift- Member

What's the difference between the Vypyrs and the Spiders? I though they were essentially the same thing?

18. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

They are, but the vypers sound much much better (imo), especially with the high gain models.

19. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

20. break

break Member

sandwichamwin hit the nail on the head:

The Line6 stuff sounds ok in isolation (hell, I'm using a Line6 Pod 2.0 at the moment), but next to a Vypyr the Line6 stuff just sounds so digital and processed where as the Vypyr is such a natural sound.

Try both and see what you think.