OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

[​IMG]

Ryzen is finally Here! and after many years, we have an AMD OC thread.
    Pls read the info below, especially the Basic info section if you're new to OCing, which is a bit light on for info at the moment, but will be added to over time.

General Notes:

* This is purely an Overclocking and results thread. I'm no mod, but if we can stick to user results/discussion would be good.

* I'll link to OC guides and MB/CPU OC-centric Reviews here. Including of course OCAU members own threads.

* Results collecting: For now we can just post in the tradional style, will consider the use of google forms later.

Overclocking Guides:

1. The Basics:

- What you need: Any Ryzen Processor, and a motherboard with At least B350 chipset.

- What to expect: Anywhere from 3.8 to 4.2 on ambient cooling, CPU, MB, and cooling dependant

-What's the maximum safe Vcore?: According to AMD 1.425 v should be the maximum to aim for for long term reliability and also to remain in a power consumption vs frequency curve that's not compltely insane!

Do not attempt these sort of voltages on lower end, (Typically all the B350 based boards currently) The VRms are likely not up to the task.. as more testing is done on these boards we'll know the safe limits.

2. Offical Information summary from AMD: (thanks Bilko)

For AMD Ryzen CPUs:
    1.425v Max CPU voltage (Anything over is risking damage)
    1.5V Max Dram Voltage (1.4 is safe for long term)
    1.1v SOC If you are having trouble with higher memory speeds
    ProcODT between 40 and 60 ohms if the option is avaliable to you

on AGESA 1004a SOC voltage will change to 1.1v automatically when DRAM exceeds 2667

SOC Voltage Naming per Manufacturer:
    Asus: CPUSOC
    Gigabyte: VCORE SOC
    ASRock: VDDR_SOC
    MSI: CPU NB

_________

3. "The Stilts" Technical Review: . https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

Really knows his stuff, and has had access to the platform for some time, i'll try to summarize the important parts

3. AMD Official Ryzen & Ryzen Master Overclocking Guide http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/AMD...AMD Ryzen Master Overclocking Users Guide.pdf

OC Tools

Ryzen Master:
    https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

HWinfo64:
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

AIDA64: (Burn test for Stability testing): https://www.aida64.com/downloads/ODQ1MTVmYmQ=

Overclocking Results / Owners List:

* Please post in the following format: Username - Model - DateCode/Batch - Stock (P0*) VID - Motherboard - RAM - Frequency - Vcore - Cooling - Stabilty (hrs)

* P0 = All core load Vcore

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Thanks mAJORD :thumbup: [DEL]Got a sample yet?[/DEL] saw other thread :p

I will giving this platform a go and comparing to my 1100T pretty soon hopefully.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

heh yep. Taking a long time to get comfortable with it. Will post baseline results up this little combo soon. :thumbup:

4. cheddle

cheddle Member

Subbed. Super keen to see how these go in the hands on home users. Really on the fence about replacing my 5820k/x99 to have a play with ryzen.

It feels like there is no real advantage to buying the 1700x/1800x over the 1700 right now.

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

OK some early Budget combo results

R7 1700 /w supplied Wraith Spire HSF, on an MSI B350 Tomahawk ($179)

Baseline data:

Stock P0 (all core load) VID: 1.05v @ 3.2Ghz
    Load temps @ stock: 64c

BIOS Overclocking:

Vcore: 1.33v
    CPUNB: 0.95v (stock - did some brief testing on this and seems to have no effect on stabilty at these clocks at least)
    Clockspeed: 3.9Ghz

[​IMG]

On this (Very neat) little Spire cooler, this is about all i'd want to push out of this setup. With a better cooler.. maybe a bit more, but the light-weight VRM on this $170 mobo really isn't made for punishment. Nonetheless, pretty mind boggling perf /$!!

Tomorrow I'll play with the individual core clocking of Ryzen Master, try and push memory clocks and throw an EVO 212 on to see what more can be pushed out of it!

Some random notes for those playing:

* Any attempt to Overclock places the SMU into "OC Mode" , this instantly disables Turbo, and boosts actual core voltage by about 50-100mv

*Package power readings in HWinfo are inaccurate once you start overclocking - Not sure the reason as yet.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. TaroT

TaroT Member

ok so all of that is the 3.9 data(but the lower figures in cinebench are they stock?)

7. Digit

Digit Member

I'd love to see how results might scale with memory timings compared with frequency, so see whether tighter timings are better (as with the older AMD's) or whether to go for frequency and looser timings. Reckon you could manage that Majord?

8. goodplay

goodplay Member

9. dasa2

dasa2 Member

same
    there is some interesting geekbench tests on ram here where it looks like frequency and sub timings are key
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...n-and-memory&p=5254761&viewfull=1#post5254761
    ram speed wont have much effect on cinbench or firestrike but it will on lightroom and games

10. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah i checked that they look like the everyday driver version more than likely on the dvd(download from gigabyte asus is 1.2 gig....so what the hell is in it i hve no idea ;))

11. Digit

Digit Member

Looks like they both have a pretty solid impact, maybe timing slightly more so (going off the 2133 cl10 to 2400cl11 downgrade in perf). Curious if Majord gets similar results.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

yeah i'll probably do mem scaling tests on the ASUS board that's incoming, by which time i'll have some sort of video card in there. :thumbup:

13. lowdog

lowdog Member

mAJORD

what did you use to fully load the cpu and what program read the cpu vid?

ta

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

For load, I'm using Prime95 with custom FFT size of 128k or 64k. this seems to be providing a halfway point between a power virus, and doesn't vary up and down over time like Blend or large FFT. Pretty much every other load out there that i've found so far. Am Considering using Y-crunchers built in stress test, for 'full stabilty' testing as it runs throguh various workload types. Prime is great for short term, as the load iss consistent in the smaller FFT sizes, but you really want to throw lots of workloads at it for final testing (Integer, AVX, Float, etc) . This is true for any CPU

some comparisons (package power @ 3.2Ghz 1.18v)

these aren't super repeatable so don't take too literally - some obvious differences in some cases though.

Pov ray 91
    cinebench 90
    wprime 82
    P95 blend 84 (this used to be a go to, but is useless for Ryzen)
    P95 small fft 99
    P95 Large FFT 91 To 107
    3dm physics 80

Prime custom FFT size:
    640k 89
    128k 94
    64k 97
    32k 98
    8k 101

Ycruncher:

BKT (intger) 96
    FFT 59
    N32 AVX2 89
    N364 AVX2 88
    AVX2+float 96

HWinfo will report VID, but it's buggy, and after you overclock it's completely inaccurate. Only the 'Vcore' reporting is accurate, mobo dependent.

15. lowdog

lowdog Member

Ok thanks for the info.

How come your ditching the Tomahawk?

What Asus is coming?....CR6

Also in the bios is there an option to disable SMT?

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Not ditching.. yet. I'd already ordered the ASUS some time ago.

and no, I can't find SMT switch in BIOS anywhere! BIOS is all-round pretty crap, and it takes ages to post.. I know all manufactures did not get enough time to sort there lineup of boards in time for launch, so can't really criticize it , since many mfg boards have issues atm.. will see how updates go.

17. Rammoth

Rammoth Member

I am so impressed with this new AMD chip. I'm just waiting on software to catch up as I find a lot of games peg out only one core. Early adopter pain.

I picked up my pre-order a few days ago - AMD 1800X and a Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard. Coupled it with 2x16GB of 2400MHz memory it runs happily on a H110i with 2x ML140 fans @ 4ghz on 1.35v. Top temp in ambient 25 degree on prime95 blend core temp is 80 degrees. Love it.

18. Bertross

Bertross Member

we are waiting on updates for temp monitors as its not 100% accurate from early reports. Unless im mistaken. Id love to get my hands on Ryzen though! been on intel since way back when.

19. Rammoth

Rammoth Member

Interesting! I did notice when playing with air coolers you hit 90 and instant reset. :)

20. Bertross

Bertross Member

HAHA thats probably more like the sensor from the BIOS is not reading the temp properly and its set to instant restart at that limit as a safety precaution. I bet within two weeks a lot of these issues are sorted.