Peri-Peri Chicken

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Amfibius, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I have to admit that I love junk food, and my favourite junk food has to be KFC and Nando's. I haven't quite figured out the KFC recipe yet, but I suspected that the Nando's Peri-Peri marinade shouldn't be too difficult to replicate at home.

I did a bit of research, and found out that Peri-Peri chicken is an African recipe. Well, the Portugese brought peppers from the New World to Africa, and the Africans developed the recipe. Traditionally, it is as simple as Cayenne Pepper, oil, and salt on a butterflied chicken cooked over coals.

I wanted a more rounded pepper flavour, so I used several different types of pepper in my recipe. I also know that acid tenderizes chicken, and salt both tenderizes and preserves moisture during cooking. Hence the addition of lemon juice and a lot of salt. As for the garlic ... well why not! Everything tastes better with garlic.

These are the components of the marinade:

[​IMG]

- 2 roast capsicums
    - juice of 2 lemons
    - 2 tbsp Cayenne pepper
    - 2 tbsp smoked paprika
    - 4 tbsp chilli
    - 4 cloves of garlic
    - 1/2 cup olive oil
    - [DEL]10 tbsp salt[/DEL] edit: 5 tbsp salt (see comments later in thread)

Throw everything into the food processor and blitz until combined:

[​IMG]

Taste your marinade now. Remember, it is a marinade - you need to make it hotter and saltier than what you would normally feel comfortable with, because the heat and salt will be diluted once you add the chicken. I added enough chilli to nearly burn my tongue off, but the end result was a "sufficient" kick of chilli.

[​IMG]

I prefer to use chicken marylands - because these have a more intense flavour and they tend not to dry out as much as breast meat when cooked over a BBQ. Make some incisions in the marylands then massage the marinade into the chicken. Leave to marinade for 8 hours. The recipe makes enough marinade for 4kg of chicken. You can freeze unused marinade in a jar.

[​IMG]

After 8 hours, remove the chicken from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Cook in a Webber using real charcoal (not the briquette stuff). I decided to use some wood chips for smoking, which adds another dimension to the flavour.

Cooking time will be approximately 30 minutes. Flip the chicken halfway. Make sure you monitor the internal temperature with a probe thermometer.

[​IMG]

It's looking good!!

[​IMG]

Here I served it with a simple BBQ'ed corn - zap the corn in a microwave for 1 minute (per ear of corn), then brush with butter and salt and sprinkle some paprika over the corn. Cook briefly on the BBQ, enough to impart some colour and slightly heat up the corn (it has already been cooked).

This beats the pants off Nando's - the meat is more moist, and the chicken tastes brighter and fresher because the marinade IS brighter and fresher. Prep isn't that hard - it took me 20 minutes this morning before I went to work to get everything ready, and another hour this evening (half of which was getting the BBQ started).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

damn if only u could mass produce that sauce and sell it!!!

3. Tekin

Tekin Member

Hahaha! glad I'm not the only one with a Nandos addiction.

My wife & I have worked out a very decent peri peri burger recipe - though this looks like a good addition!

I'll definitely have to give this a crack - I've been playing around trying to get a decent rib sauce replica as well, but I'm too hesitant to add enough sugar.

4. Revenge

Revenge Member

Is it a bad thing that I am sitting here licking my screen?

5. RETARD

RETARD New Member

Ahh the cook we all aspire to be :)

Magnificent!

6. Dogo

Dogo Member

All the Nando's near me seem to be selling the anorexic chickens. They're so thin and crappy that I now just grab a bbq chicken from coles and a bottle of the nandos hot sauce.

This recipe looks delicious :) Nice food processor too!

7. death

death Member

Looks fantastic as always

1. Where did you get the smoked paprika from?
    2. I tried making a lemon herb nando marinade using lemon, salt, garlic, coriander, parsley, oil but wasn't too impressed with the result.
    I feel its mainly due to the fact i cooked it in the oven. The charcoal would have been better.
    How would you go about making one?

I just bought some charcoal and kindle wood just so i can try this on the bbq hopefully next week.

8. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

That Nandos hot sauce is not bad either, mind you! In fact, if you CBF making your own marinade - you could make a bloody good BBQ chicken using that sauce. Better than Nandos itself, because you won't be using their crappy anorexic chickens - you could get yourself a nice, plump, free range chicken!

1. Smoked paprika - the best place to get it is from a Spanish provedore, like Casa Iberica in Fitzroy. Otherwise, try Simon Johnson. But you could use normal paprika - and get the smoked flavour by smoking it (as I have done).

2. Your marinade would have been good enough, I have been BBQ'ing my chicken with "only" a salt/lemon/garlic marinade for years! You need a LOT of salt. The salt is effectively a brine.

What do you mean by "How would you go about making one?" ... ? Making what? A charcoal BBQ? You buy a Webber ... you buy charcoal ... ?

9. sjobeck

sjobeck Member

MMM Herbie's spices ftw. The shop is just around the corner from where my house and is a regular haunt

10. death

death Member

thanks for info

I was asking for how you would make the lemon herb marinade that nandos uses. I prefer their lemon herb marinade.

I got a bbq :D

11. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Don't know? Can you buy the lemon herb marinade from Nandos?

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to figure out ... I am not too bad at identifying ingredients from looking at chopped up herbs ;)

12. Sandez

Sandez Member

Would this be a wasted recipe on a standard BBQ or would I only lose some of the subtle smoky flavours?

13. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Don't know, I haven't tried this recipe on a standard BBQ. There is a reason why I use a Webber BBQ - its cheaper and better! Having said that, I think Nandos use a gas fired grill (maybe with volcanic rocks) to cook their chicken. It should turn out OK.

14. Revenge

Revenge Member

If your 'normal BBQ' is a hooded gas jobby, you could just use a smoker box or make up some foil parcels of wood chips to add some smoke to the mix.

15. Dogo

Dogo Member

i have this at home. I'm fairly sure I just got it from Coles ...

http://www.masterfoods.com.au/Products/ProductDetail/tabid/83/ProductId/1537/Paprika-Smoked.aspx

http://www.masterfoods.com.au/Images/Product/300x300-PaprikaSmoked.jpg

OCAU ADMIN ACTION FORM
    Action taken by: Ma Baker

This form details the modifications made to this thread or post.

Action Taken: Post edited, IMG Tags removed.
    Reason for Action: You are not allowed to link images if you're not hosting them yourself or using a hosting service. If you do own the hosting can you please leave a note saying so when you link an image so that we know it's ok to be linked.
    Other Information: Please read this thread which will explain the no linking images rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  16. scon

scon Member

That smoked paprika will do in a pinch, but the real stuff is intoxicating... it's an amazing product.

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Is there an alternative if you don't have a food processor? (Mainly for the capsicum)

It looks so good :weirdo:

18. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Yeah, you could use a blender, or a stick blender. If you don't have either of those, I suppose you could chop the capsicum finely, then mince it in a mortar and pestle. Or if you have really 1337 knife 5k1llz you could mince it with your knife. But really, a motor tool would make short work of the marinade. It took me all of 20 minutes to marinade the chicken, and most of it was doing things like peeling the garlic, getting stuff out of the cupboard, and washing up. For the lemons, all I did was cut the skin and pith off, and throw the whole thing into the food processor.

If you don't have a stick blender, buy one now! I bought my first stick blender almost 15 years ago. It was a cheap Kambrook one and it lasted 10 years before it broke. Should cost about $100-150. A Bamix or Braun costs about $200 and up. These are very versatile machines, and I still regularly use mine even though I have a food processor. Once you discover uses for it, you will use it all the time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  19. scon

scon Member

Stick blenders and food processors are bits of kitchen gear I would not do without... such time savers.

Making something along these lines tonight too... we make this quite often - so tasty and easy!

20. Matt P

Matt P Member

i made this sauce tonight, but halved the recipe and used garlic from the jar instead of fresh cloves.

I actually bought a food processor last weekend to make this haha

Holy crap, it tastes so good straight from the food processor!

If i was using it as a sauce for chicken, i'd drop back the salt, but as a marinade it was fine!