Photography forum Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by plasticbastard, Apr 17, 2007.

1. BMan2

BMan2 Member

.. though if you've ever trolled through ozmodel's forums you'd be disgusted at the petty bickering that goes on there ....

two wrongs don't make it right though :p

2. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Sometimes people bring their baggage from other forums into the photography forum as well.

I have seen some right arseholes post some superb pictures here!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  3. jayjones1

jayjones1 New Member

you got that for sure[​IMG]

4. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Hi guys,

In light of a few recent events in The Gallery sub-forum, I've decided to revisit this topic and revise the list.

Changes have now been made to the Wiki and this version - hopefully streamlining the items and making the wording a little easier to follow.

5. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Another update after the derailment of the Ed & Dave Glamour threads held in Melbourne recently.

Please keep this forum civilised.

I've also added a draft for review/comment by all members of this forum in regards to organised events/group buys & vendor behaviour.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  6. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

Very happy to see this thread setup.

We're interested in why you keep hammering your 'vendor behavior' point though ..

7. koma_white

koma_white Member

Perhaps because the opinions voiced or comments made should be viewed in a different light when there is a potential financial impact, be it positive or negative. It's much the same as why vendor verdicts are forbidden on this forum.

8. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

I'm hardly hammering the subject, the whole point of the update is a starting point for comment & review. A lot of us that saw the action/took part in the glamour threads have moved on.

That said, the code of conduct presented in this thread are not the OCAU forum rules, people are free to ignore the code of conduct presented as they wish.

As far as vendors/organised events where a financial transaction is made, I think it is only fair to attendees to have as much information available as possible, as well as being aware of what those implications are.

I personally think it is better for the forums to avoid the mudslinging as per the threads re Melbourne Glamour Shoot.

Threads like that can lead to forum members that have provided positive contributions in the past leaving, and lets face it, most of us are here because we have a passion for photography at any level, and to some extent technology, this is a fantastic place to learn new techniques from, and some great friendships have been struck as a result.

At any rate, positive feedback and comments are welcome.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  9. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Well said plastic

I know some OCAU members are purely still here just because of the photography section, due to the deterioration over time of other sub sections that have been ruined by influxes of people who make it.. generally not a nice place to be.. definitely dont want that to happen here.

And to some degree a few people have already left due to the change of this section over time...

Dave and Ed have provided some great offerings/services to OCAU I would hate for them to stop offering them here, or even worse stop coming here altogether.

10. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

I agree with your points .. :)

Obviously I'm very disappointed with how the melbourne glamour workshop was derailed here, by a vocal minority.

(The vocal minority seemed to think we stood to a mint from this event.. Well for their info, we/I lost -$1500. I said from the start, it wasn't about the money).

I've since spoken to Agg about it extensively and mentioned that a code of conduct should be implemented for sanctioned events in order to maintain the forums.

So I certainly commend you on your efforts to jump in and so something about this in the photography forum.

All the best.

- Paul.

11. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Well said :thumbup: I very much agree

12. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I neither agree nor disagree with the post.
    On one hand I would like to think we are all courteous people and can behave without guidance, but on the other hand I know that what I think often differs from reality (usually in more ways than one) :tongue:

Some thoughts:

1. People are lazy. Many people only bother to type if they have something negative to say. Usually the people who are posting positive comments are the same people who do that quite often to many of the threads they view, or else they might really like the posted image. There is a good chance anyone who feels neutrally about an image isn’t going to be bothered posting.

2. If you ask for crit, expect crit. I remember a discussion ages ago on asking for C&C. Nowadays if someone posts up an image or set without asking for C&C I personally don’t offer any. I figure they’re just wanting to say ‘hey check this out!’ rather than ‘hey, give me some pointers/advice!’

3. Harden up. This is a relatively anonymous internet forum. It’s filled with keyboard warriors who aren’t afraid to put others down behind their shroud of secrecy. If you don’t like criticism, in all it’s forms, then there are plenty of RL camera clubs in your area right now who love nothing more then to blow smoke up other photographers arses. There is also other sites geared more towards circle-jerking than actual photographic improvement. Won’t bother naming names.
    Personally though I enjoy OCAU Photo forum, as harsh as it can be, for it’s low-bullshit policy. If I post up crap, I like that fact that someone will say something. I don’t cry about it, I learn from it and do my best not to post up crap the next time.

I have no idea why we need vendor guidelines – surely that is up for the site administration (ie Agg) to assess and make calls on? I thought that’s why we need ‘Agg approval’ when we want to organise things…
    Then again, I obviously missed the happenings in the glam thread… damnit!

13. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Paul,

Although you failed to make any money out of the event, it became pretty obvious that it was a commercial event after the follow up of the "cheap auto shots" thread. The majority here knew it even if it was only a minority who spoke up.

The fact that it became enough of an issue to have both of your threads locked and our 2 year old code of conduct amended, should in itself be a fair indication of exactly who was the disruptive influence in the forum.

In any case, good that you and Agg are discussing a way forward for future events as the last one was a complete schamozzle. Personally, I'd like to see these in a seperate forum in order to avoid any conflict of interests with our current, (or future), photography forum sponsors.

bazz.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  14. bachamp

bachamp Member

I personally like having the photography workshops in the photography section if I had to check else where I would most likely miss them.

Also I think there should be no sanctioned events. If you wish to help others by holding a workshop, you do it on your own. All costs need to be transparent (full breakdown). Once a third party come into it, it gets messy.

15. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

Gotta love the recent street drama :lol:

16. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Depends on your definition of 'love'.
    I've had to remind a few people of the very first bullet point. It's a shame, but these sorts of issues do come up probably once every 12-18 months.

17. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Could the admin please specify at which point does bumping an existing thread (on the first page of WTB) warrant excessive and irritating to the community?