Playstation 4 Pro - November 10 2016 - $AUD559 RRP

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Mar 26, 2016.

1. power

power Member

So this thing is official/real, seems like a bit of a dick move to all the people who are still trying to find more than a handful of games for the PS4 really? Can't say I'm impressed by this move. The PS4 is really only just at the front end of it's product cycle imo.

The only thing I can really think of is that they've looked at Apple with their shiny $1500 pocket computers that people throw out once they get dirty and thought - hey why can't we do that?

We know PlayStation 4.5 is real - but why is Sony making it?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. MrBS

MrBS Member

I'm betting there is no additional horsepower in the thing and its just a PS4 capable of 4K output for 4K media. We'll see though. The idea of a mid generation hardware refresh boggles the mind.

3. HeXa

HeXa Member

:confused:

PS4 already can output 4K

just Sony hasn't enabled it for game content (pics & video only currently)

EDIT: mid-gen hardware refreshes have been happening for decades. Typically to take advantage of newer process tech that allows cost reduction. Not hard to foresee AMD engineering and providing a souped up APU that maintains backward compatibility (high level of hardware abstraction in current gen consoles).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Why are people pissed off? Nothing changes with your current ps4

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

No, but your resale value will..

6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

They usually always release a cheaper smaller console a few years after the original.. dont think it really changes anything

7. thecondor

thecondor Member

Hows this any different to sony releasing a slim version?

Don't see what the big deal is about.

8. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Because it is not just the form factor... It also has added functionality apparently (4k support).

9. thecondor

thecondor Member

Thought current ps4's can output 4k already but the just dont have enough grunt for it, don't see how a new system will change that.

10. stitch512

stitch512 Member

As far as I knew there were issues with the PS4's HDMI port and UHD output, hence why they would release a PS4 4K. It is highly unlikely that games would play any different on this thing compared to the current PS4.

It would actually make a lot of sense for Sony to instead of releasing a new UHD bluray player, just revise the PS4 to support it and have it as an all in one media centre. Sony then dominates the living room exactly like what Microsoft feared at the turn of the century.

Call it the Playstation One

11. power

power Member

they never get a spec bump other than storage realistically - talk is this one will actually be faster.

keeping in mind we've already had 1 revision of the device so far.

12. Copie

Copie Member

Just sounds like upgrading to HDMI 2.0 along with UHD bluray player and media content, along with a shrink.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Speaking for every Sony console so far, the "slim" refreshes have done nothing with respect to functionality of the console and titles that would run on previous systems.

Obviously there's not concrete details yet, but if this new "PS4.5" comes out and offers titles that can't be played on a standard PS4, it'll mean current PS4 users will be forced to upgrade.

So to put it in actual terms:

* I bought a Playstation. Very first model (not the newer fat models, or the "PSone" slimmer models). It plays every Playstation game ever made.

* I bought a PS2 "Fat" first generation model (again, first gen/model, not a later model, not any of the multitude of slim models after it). It plays every single PS2 game ever made.

* I bought a PS3 "Slim" (second gen model, first slim, and there was another model after this). It plays every single PS3 game ever made.

* I bought a PS4 first gen model. Will it play games designed for the PS4.5? I don't know yet. I hope so.

14. power

power Member

More to the point there's never been a console refresh that's been faster since the 32X and we all know how and why that existed there is no logical reason with the market dominance that Sony have for them to fragment their user base.

15. elvis

Good example. Some consider the 32X to be the "beginning of the end" for Sega with respect to hardware. The thought is that it caused such a detriment to the company that it fractured Sega USA and Sega Japan relationships, which further soured throughout the Saturn and Dreamcast lifecycles.

Sony are on a high right now, "winning" the console race currently (sales numbers are way better than any of their competitors' platforms). They'd be playing a dangerous game to screw with that.

16. power

power Member

This rumour still doesn't make a huge about of sense to me and it may only be something on their drawing boards.

It's just unprecedented to upgrade a successful device at this point in the cycle for absolutely no reason.

The things that come to mind are

- NX, this thing might be great, they might even know how great - still, they have a dominant position but may need to act swiftly if it looks threatened.

- PSVR, devs might be having trouble getting to that magic 60FPS - they've invested heavily in VR and if the PS4 can't keep up they need a solution.

- MS rumours, Phil Spencer has toyed with updating xbxox because it's been copping it in the market.

- AMD are finally going to deliver on their promises and release truly revolutionary HW.

17. elvis

Good lord, if consoles turn into PCs with the constant annual hardware upgrade treadmill, I'm out of gaming forever.

18. Copie

Copie Member

I wouldnt think so, at the very least existing PS4 games will have to be compatible with the 4.5 if it is indeed real else they will cannibalize their market share.

19. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Even if this is more powerful with a nice fresh 14nm chip what does it matter? Games have been running on different levels of hardware on PC for all time, not to mention mobile apps that scale.

Just have a game that can run 1080P@60, or scale back to 30fps for the lesser hardware, shouldn't be an issue.

MS are thinking of doing similar things in the future as well, just makes sense.

20. Sledge

Sledge Member

So glad i didn't buy a PS4 yet, been holding off for a decent price/bundle