Possible Return

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ScrumpyJim, May 3, 2012.

1. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

You guys think it's a valid reason to return headphones if the 7.1 doesnt work in windows 7 x64? I realise they are probably pretty shite headphones for audiophiles but I picked up some Plantronics Gamecom 777 headphones yesterday only to realise after I opened, plugged in and listened to them something wasnt sounding right. So a quick google later and I find out its a known issue and the 'fix' that was provided was to get the new model is them which is the 870 i think it was.

2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

The best thing you could do for your ears would be to buy a decent set of stereo headphones built for music and a soundcard.

There is nothing a 5.1/7.1 headset is better than a good stereo set at. Nothing. Except wasting your money.

EDIT: Yes, return them. Buy stereo.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

I have no doubt that decent stereo heaphones are awesome. My question though was, would it be seen as a valid reason for a return if the 7.1 aspect of the headphones doesnt function in windows 7 x64?

4. mareke

mareke Member

On the face of it if they are advertised as being 7:1 headphones and this feature doesn't work in Windows 7 64 bit and this exclusion is not mentioned on the package then they don't do what they are supposed to do and you should be within your rights to return them. The shop may be able to argue that the fault is with Microsoft however so it’s somewhat murky. If they come with software to make them work as 7:1 in Windows then the fault lies with the speaker manufacturer rather than Microsoft and the speaker manufacturer should state that they won't work as 7:1 in Windows 7 64 bit so I'd say you have a good case. Perhaps ring Consumer Affairs first to see what they say.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  5. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

This is the main issue. If it clearly disclaims any non-compatibility on the packaging, it's really down to whether the shop they do anything. Some will, because it's called customer service and that gets return business, others won't.