Printer jobs automatically pausing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by terrabyte, Dec 10, 2009.

1. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Hey all,

Having some issues at the school I work at. Wondering if anyone ahs come across anything similar, I did a search but couldn't find anything, google doesn't really help either.

Basically every computer around the school, whenever it sends a print job, by default it is paused. After a minute of 2 this job will print. Or you can click resume on the print job and it will print automatically.

Now the thing is, it doesn't matter if it's a network printer, running off a print server, or a directly attached printer, all the computers seem to do it.

The box is not ticked to auto pause jobs and everything in the printer config seems right. This issue has only occured recently (past 3-4 weeks) and we've never had this happen before, and no config has been changed recently. I'm thinking it might be a windows update issue or something like that. (WinXP SP3 used).

Should also mention these are not big jobs, often just a single page of text. No idea what's wrong. Printers are warmed up and working as the resume button causes it to print immediately.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks guys.

2. tjmc

tjmc Member

What printers are you using and are they generally going through a print server? then sharing to the WinXP machines?

3. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

A large range of printers, mostly canon and HP laserjets, but theres the odd brother. There's probably 20 or 30 printers. Some of them are going through print servers and others are printing to them directly. Seems to happen either way.

4. tjmc

tjmc Member

Under the printer properties, go under the advanced tab and make sure there is a tick in the "Enable Advanced Printing Features". Then try again.

This seems to be a Group Policy thing to me though. Definitely not normal for that amount of printers to be doing the same thing. If it was 1 of the printers, I would say to delete the printer and try re-installing. Or failing that it could be a printer issue. However in this case its all of them.

Also, probably a long shot, but have you installed any kind of network interrogation software that audits the network. I remember once one of the guys where I previously worked setup some network monitoring software and it basically grind every printer to a halt.

5. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Thanks for the reply,

I'll have a look through the properties for that option and see if it's on.

I'll also have a look through group policy, but I don't think anythings been changed recently.

No network auditing software has been installed recently (That I know of :p).