Quick Charge/PumpExpress Technology

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by FR3D1, Jul 17, 2017.

1. FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

I've been looking around but there's very little information provide on how these tech works some things that I never get how these tech works such as:

1. All of phone battery operate at ~3.7V to 4.4V how does charging it at 9V/12V doesn't kill the battery but instead of charges it faster?

2. Both technology chargers can output 5V/9V/12V and since there is quite a few devices out there that require 12V is it possible to use use the charger as a multi-volt power supply? Any project/mod?
    eg. QC adapter --> 12V negotiation circuit --> device that need charging

3. It is higher current (Amp) that require thicker cable or is it the volt?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. desertstalker

desertstalker Member

The higher voltage allows more current to be drawn over a USB cable (~2A is limit in general). The charge chip in the phone will control voltage to match charge profile, but has more power to work with 18/24W instead of 10W

In theory you could, would need the appropriate control chip and/or a micro to tell it to request whatever voltage you desire. Would be cheaper to get a proper PSU IMO. The protocols are active (the host device needs to request morre than 5V or it wont get it) so proper signalling would be needed.

3. FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

I guess it's just more convenient to have one adapter that can charge both your phone and tablet rather than having to carry around multiple adapters one for each device.

4. _zak

_zak Member

If the charger supports QC 2.0, there's this Arduino library that allows you to control it using a Pro Mini or similar. Might be useful if you've got both the charger and the Arduino lying around.

5. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

That's a pretty cool library.

Would be easy to create a simple project with a switch/button to change the voltage.

6. FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

How did you find the library? Would be better if there is one for QC3 and with a knob so you can select the voltage (I would do it myself if I know how to code :( ).

7. _zak

_zak Member

First saw it in this Hackaday post last month. My first thought was that they'd likely be similar, but according to this article, QC 3.0 can deliver any voltage between 3.2 - 20 V. Could be worth investigating for a quick and easy adjustable power supply, though I'm not sure whether it'd be using a resistor network anymore.