Read this before you post!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by daGriffin, Feb 13, 2004.

1. daGriffin

daGriffin Member

When making a thread about a problem you are having be sure to include your system specs. You should mention:

CPU
    Motherboard (including bios version if its been changed form the original)
    Optical Drives
    Hard Drives
    Power Supply (I've lost count the amount of times I've asked about this)
    RAM
    Video Card
    Cooling setup
    ...and EVERYTHING else in your system.

The only exceptions to this rule would be keyboard, mouse, speakers and other peripherals, unless the problem was something to do with them. And Floppy drives.

As well as your system specs, you should try to give as much information about the problem as possible, makes for a much easier/more efficient turn around.

A good idea, as you'll see with many other people on these forums (/me points to himself) is to have your entire system specs in your sig, changable in the "User CP" section of the forums, little button up the top there. This saves you having to type it all out every time.
    If you do put your system specs in your sig, be sure to use the [ size] tags so it does not take up too much room.

Another method is to make an entry in the PCDB and then link to that page, either in the post or in your sig.

If you resolve your problem without the help of forum members, post the solution in your thread for others to see.
    If people are doing the right thing and searching first, they'll be glad you posted the solution in your thread.

If someone is having a problem with a particular web browser or email client, DO NOT make posts telling them to use something else.
    If you do, you may find your post disappears. :D
    Changing browsers or client is not a helpful solution.
    If you must advise them to try a different browser or client, at least give some useful advice on how else they could resolve their problem first.
    example:
    "you could try doing xxxx or yyyy. or maybe try a different browser."
    that post probably wouldn't be deleted.

"just use <insert browser or client name here> instead".
    that post won't last long if an admin spots it.

[looktall edit: made this post sticky and made some additions and minor changes.]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2004
  2. Brodieman

Brodieman New Member

Good idea. We should flesh it out to not only system requirements but to more appropriate description of troubles - ie what the problem is and what have they already tried to rectify it. Lately there have been a lot of comp is not working posts with minimal descriptions. Now while i can appreciate people having trouble (we've all been there) i think they'll find the get more help if the problem is described clearly and sys specs included.

I was considering a basic how to build a pc with initial troubleshooting tips/hints guide. It'll be basic ;) , but sufficient i think, so that at least when a search is performed on the subject it'll pop up and hopefully help out.

3. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

I suggest adding Any Unusual Behavior Within The Last Few Weeks. Errors, crashes, general slow downs, "just-stopped-working-then-it-was-fine", those kinda things. People often don't think to offer this information in the first post. It really helps with diagnosing issues.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  4. Celoot

Celoot Member

I suggest people add a dxdiag for information for people to diagnose issues easier as it gives O/S driver and firmware information and hardware information which helps :)

Start - Run - dxdiag

Save as a text file then paste it in the first message / post to make it quick and easy for yourself :)

5. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

The dxdiag report is huge. I reckon only the first two parts are needed. For Example.

6. jayjones1

jayjones1 New Member

thanks that report is huge cheers[​IMG]

7. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

This thread is way out of date and also ignored to the point of need removal or bashing down some peoples throat.

8. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

In what way is it out of date? The only things I see that really need to be changed in the first post are the bits about the PCDB and the mention of floppy drives. Apart from that, it still appears to be advice that everyone should be following.

9. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Too generic and a mess. Clean it up, simplify it into areas that those who are having issues can zero in on the area they need to worry about rather than seeing one of half-a-dozen old stickies sitting at the top dating back nearly 8 years.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011