Recommend me a home theatre system to replace Audioengine A5s?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by converge, Jun 5, 2010.

1. converge

converge Member

So I currently have a set of Audioengine A5s which I love but I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5.1 system and I don't want some logitech garbage. I really don't know much about speakers and I don't want to go high end. My budget would probabaly be $600 - $700.

Advice would be much appreciated :)

2. thaFunkster

thaFunkster New Member

Dream Acoustics on Ebay plus a good amp?

Not high end, but about as good as you will get for the price I reckon.

3. converge

converge Member

hm interesting... can you recommend a good amp?

4. thaFunkster

thaFunkster New Member

Well, I dont know a lot about amps, all I know is that I bought some Dream VSs on ebay about 6 months ago, cost me about $200 delivered.

Then I got a Pioneer VSX-817 from the Pioneer Clearance centre (factory second, scratched supposedly, but I cant see anything wrong with it, they all come with one year warranty) that cost me about $160 plus postage.

It is 7x90W and plenty enough for me.

So all running digital sound out through my soundcard and basically I have a pretty decent set up for around the $300 mark, not including the soundcard.

I have no sub, but these speakers kick out a lot of bass, still worth investing in a sub if that real floor shaking rumbling is what your after, I may do this down the track.

Anyway, to answer your question, no I dont really know enough about amps, but if you can find a link to the Pioneer Clearance Centre (I lost the link) then they have all kinds of stuff at about half price, and I know they are a well regarded brand.

Other than that, look at Denon, I have heard a couple of Denon things and they were really top notch imo.

Good luck.

5. skipppy

skipppy Member