Recommendations on Photoshop tutorial

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by Madengineer, May 28, 2017.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Howdy guys,

Can anybody recommend a decent photoshop tutorial?

I've got some photos that I need to 'merge' together, and I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

When I installed Photoshop I said I was a beginner, and I thought it'd have at least a walk through tutorial but there was no such thing.

Also, is there an option to turn on labels for the tools?

Cheers

MadE

2. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

What does merge mean to you?

3. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I've gotta chop some parts ok f various images into one

4. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

Mad I'm at work at the moment but have a look at YouTube - phlearn. That Aaron comes across well.

My workflow is - duplicate background and hide original from view

Open (or copy/paste) second image onto a new layer.

Convert that 2nd pic to smart object.

Open the smart object in New window and use a layer mask to remove unwanted surrounds.

This preserves data.

Noob method will probably be - paste image to new layer and use the eraser tool to remove unwanted surroundings (ctrl + alt + Z to step back mistakes). But hey, it works too kinda.

5. deluxe

deluxe Member

Photoshop layers can be copied between files easily- open the files you need and select areas with the square marquee tool then copy/paste into the target image. Put them on separate layers to allow yourself the freedom to move around.

You'll be doing a lot of masking using marquee and lasso tools to select areas that you want. One of my personal favourite methods is using the quick mask functionality which allows you to 'paint' masks onto the image which then become a selection.

If you are trying to blend things smoothly i.e. not do a 'hard' cutout, you can make a selection and then Feather it- this creates a soft-edged shape.

6. isaakk

isaakk Member

There's multiple ways to go about this (or pretty much anything you do in Photoshop), one video tutorial worth looking at might be this.

Easiest method is probably copying various images required into separate layers, go layer by layer and do the following: Select around desired object with lasso tool, then use "Refine Edge" up the top with edge detection to make the selection more accurate (could probably look up YouTube tutorials on this), click "ok" and you should have some marching ants around the object. From there you can click the layer mask button and it should mask out the background.

Layer masks are pretty easy, black is 0% opacity, white is 100% opacity, you can paint on the mask (second black/white box on a layer once added) with the brush tool to edit. Basically like using the eraser tool, just not destructive, and reversible.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'll look him up.

Soz guys, but most of that means nothing to me :(

Had a bit of a play around, basically I removed everything bar the background from an image, then slowly added the parts I wanted (which worked really well) except I didn't know how to make it look like the background?

8. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

Screenshots, Mad

Also phlearn seems to have removed a lot of videos. Totally has nothing to do with selling tutorials on their website.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  9. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Badly-shopped fruit bottles coming up. No one will believe you now! :cool:

10. deluxe

deluxe Member

11. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Holy crap this shit is hard to rush!

Personally, I think it looks dodgy.

Unfortunately I can't share it here because of privacy. But oh well.

12. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Are they on the same/similar background? I do a lot of compositing with family photos so that I get everyone looking at the camera. Can you at least draw a rough idea of what's going on on your screen in MS Paint or something?

Bit difficult for people to recommend tutorials when they don't know what exactly you're trying to achieve. I've got a 6 hour crash course video tutorial I downloaded a while back to learn the absolute basics. Mastering selection helps a great deal. Understanding layers is also important, as editing using layers is non-destructive. The tutorials deluxe posted will be a good starting point.

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'll blur out the faces and stuff and then post the photos.

Basically, they're people holding lit sparklers, with long exposure, at night, spelling out some stuff.

Basically this just no where near as good

14. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

ah ok, well learning layers will DEFINITELY benefit for that.

Essentially what I do for those types of shots is load them all up as layers in photoshop, auto align the layers, and then use layer masks to bring in or take out what I want and don't want from each of the layers.

Definitely read up / watch the tutorials on layers. For the most part, you won't even need to do much selection to get this going.

15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Right. Yep. I understood some of that just from playing around :D

There are so many options! But yeah, going to have a close look soonish. Hopefully I'll get something going.

Cheers!

16. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Jake Olsen on Facebook does a very good deal once in a while for tutorials. I got his latest offer for like $14. Well worth it for beginners like you and me.

17. Bertross

Bertross Member

just go to Linda.com thay have loads of PS tutorials. Or google is your friend, literally ask what you want it to find in PS and it typically should.

I know PS inside out but i would confuse you as im a shortcut kind of guy.

18. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I had a look at eBay of all places for a book to buy for a beginner - so many different books doesn't make it easy at all.

19. boneburner

boneburner Member

And 99% of them would be crap. And tbh, for most people, Photoshop is complete overkill. Hell even people who use it for a living end up only using a small subset of what the program can do.

No longer the poor cousin from the country - GIMP has come in leaps and bounds to be more than most folk need - and better yet, its free.

20. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

This couldnt be more true.

I use photoshop everyday and alot at home on personal projects. I could get away with less than 10 tools easily. Its about how you use them. I find it good to watch someone who does completely different work than you to find little tricks. Everyone i know uses photoshop in the same way because we are in the same field.