remove Tab bar from firefox 23.0

Discussion in 'General Software' started by glenpinn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

ahh here we go, i installed that little addon to hide that Tab bar, but every now and then firefox (or a ghost in my pc) sneakily switches it off, or just randomly makes Tabs open up the top above the address bar again, then it just disables itself again after several minutes.

must be a glitch in the system, or rather firefox dont really want anyone to not have tab browsing.

2. Aiken

Aiken Member

Before version 23 the tab bar was easy to turn off. Settings -> tabs then clear all the tick boxes. In version 23 the option to turn the tab bar off was removed. No confusion. Not every one wants tabs.

For what ever reason there are people that do not like tabs. Could be they are not interested in tabs and are happy with separate windows (which works for me with 10 desktops setup in kde) or want the extra vertical space on a small screen with the tab bar gone.

I am using hide tab bar with one tab to get the look back to what it was in version 22 and earlier.

3. |BeFoRe|

|BeFoRe| Member

Just click View -> Toolbars -> Customize and then drag n drop the little + sign into the box, click Done and the tab bar will be removed.

Then change the Tools -> Options -> Tabs to how you want to handle tabs ie open links in new window etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Renza

Renza Member

OP wants to remove tabs completeley, not just the + icon...

5. |BeFoRe|

|BeFoRe| Member

That removes them completly, then once he changes the options settings it will open new links etc in a new window like before.

6. Aiken

Aiken Member

Tried that and all it did is remove the + sign from the tab bar. What I have now is the tab bar with a single tab and no + sign. Tried with this copy of firefox and with a fresh profile.

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

the addon posted earlier does remove the Tab bar completely, but last night it was randomly re-appearing a few times for a few moments, and when i re-loaded firefox it was gone.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/

i just dont get why the devs of firefox had to remove the option to hide Tabs in the "Tools > options > Tab"

its like they are trying to force people to use tabbed browsing.

8. Renza

Renza Member

you say that like tabbed browsing is evil... maybe try out ie6 if you want that 'no tabs' experience again

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

A possible alternative for you glen might be the firefox extended support release. It's on FF17 at the moment. You get continued security updates, but no changes to features.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Should still have the option for turning off tabbed browsing and won't bug you to update to the next version.

10. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

no im not saying nor implying tabbed browsing is evil, i know heaps of people that can live without tab browsing, but removing the "option" to disable or enable it i dont understand, and is why i said it appears to me that they want everyone to have tabbed browsing, otherwise why would they deliberately remove the tabbed browsing option.

thx m8, just downloaded it.

Edit: have installed 17.08, and it doesnt automatically update to a newer version when i click the "help > about" menu like all the other versions i had installed.

yesterday i booted up my netbook for the first time in 4 months and i went to the "help > about" menu and immediately it updated it from version 14.0 to version 23.01

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013