Retro Let's Play: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jan 3, 2017.

?

What do you think?

1. Good idea, I would participate

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. Good idea, but I don't have the time/ability/desire to participate

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Bad idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

[edit]

We're going ahead with the "Retro Let's Play" idea. There's an FAQ thread here that I'd like to keep for FAQs, HowTos, and other helpful stuff. General discussion about the process, ideas, improvements, criticisms, etc, can all go in this thread. Each month there'll be a dedicated thread to the actual game we're playing, which is linked to from the FAQ thread.

[/edit]

What do folks think of a monthly "Let's Play" section here in the retro subforum?

We can have a discussion for suggestions/nominations each month, and a vote in the final week for what the next month's game will be. Then a separate thread just talking about that game, and what we think of it.

It would be a great way to get people introduced to some classic games they might have missed, or dig deeper into titles they might have glossed over too quickly, or had on their "pile of shame".

Standard rules apply: the game itself has to be at least "10 years old to the day". I'd be willing to let people choose whatever platform they like (often that's fun in itself, to compare and contrast the differences in versions). That would also be more inclusive to people who have limited access to hardware (or PCs fast enough for certain emulators). Obviously we'd try to get a good mix of console, arcade and computer games in, so we cover all bases.

I'm happy to co-ordinate the whole thing here in this subforum. What are people's thoughts on this? I've seen it work well on other forums with larger memberships. Do we have the number of people here to pull this off?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. badmofo

badmofo Member

Sounds like a great idea but personally I struggle to find time to play the games on my personal to-do list, so probs wouldn't be involved in this much.

3. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

^ What badmofo said.

4. Krumm

Krumm Member

I like the idea and would try to take part when I could. For me personally I would exclude the popular / well known titles like the Mario's, Zelda's, Sonic's etc but I can also see how this would encourage those who may not have played the originals to try them.

5. elvis

Agreed, but I also want to avoid going full-snob and ensuring a good percentage of the titles are accessible to newcomers.

But yes, avoiding the cliched titles I think is worthwhile. I'd really like it to be a collection of really fun games that people may have missed for one reason or another.

6. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I like this idea :) I don't think I'd contribute videos because I'm terminally dull, but I'd happily try out a game each month and vomit out an opinion on it.

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

:thumbup: great idea let me suggest an all time favorite - Wizball

8. dacow

dacow Member

I think that sounds great! Would love to expand my horizons a bit and get other peoples opinions :)

9. nimmers

nimmers Member

Good idea, would participate :)

10. elvis

Anonymous poll added for ease of counting. :)

11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Seems like a cool idea.

Here, beat my crappy score on C64anabalt:

[​IMG]

I'm addicted to this game, it's frustrating the shit outa me!

12. elvis

Some more thoughts on how I'd run it (bullet points because it's late and I'm brain dumping):

* Start a nomination thread for the following month 14 days before hand
    * Close nominations and start voting 7 days before hand
    * Considering a multi-vote system, as often there's more than one game you'd like to try, and it sucks to only have one vote when that's the case. Dunno.
    * Voting closes midnight of the last day of the month
    * 1st of the new month, discussion thread opens, we all play the winning title, talk/screenshot/video about our thoughts, feelings, emotions, nostalgia and other general wish-wash on the matter, both current and "back in the day", occasionally throwing in a "get off my lawn".

I'd lock off the nomination/voting thread at the end of each month, and keep the discussion threads open forever so folks can jump in as they please. The current month's discussion and voting threads will be stickied for the month.

I'll also start an FAQ thread with a constantly-updated first post covering every game we've played (easy reference to avoid re-nominating a game twice), and get some contributions on how to get things like emulators, DOSBox, ScummVM and other stuff running for those who need it (probably a bunch of videos we can already link to from helpful members like philscomputerlab).

As above, the original game must be released "10 years to the day" ago or earlier, however ports and re-releases are totally valid to play through and compare (not sequels however - e.g.: if "The Secret of Monkey Island" originally released in 1990 is the game chosen, you can play the 2009 "Special Edition" re-release, but not the 1991 sequel "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge").

13. elvis

More thoughts:

Happy enough for nominations to go through straight to voting. If it gets crazy and there's too many, we'll use a "seconding" system where each one needs a second to get through to voting. But that's extra complication, so I'll leave it alone until it becomes an issue.

I might also automatically carry-over games for voting if the vote was close, or if nominations are light. Doing one of these a month, there's plenty of opportunity for games to get played even if they don't get voted in during the month they were nominated.

14. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I'd definitely be in for that - I've seen so many game screen shots posted (I think they used to do something similar on Gizmodo or one of those sites) where I'd just look at it and instantly feel bad that everyone else knew what it was, and I'd never seen it :lol:

15. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

I'll give it a try. Prob won't play anything from the 80s unless it's stunts or awesome earl in skaterock or stunt car racer

16. elvis

I'm hoping people will give games a go that they don't normally play.

i.e.: there's a lot of PC (old and new) gamers on OCAU. I'd hope that we get at least a couple of console games voted in during the process, and people take the time to fire up an emulator and play them. (I'll take the time to post easy guides, and even host files if needed so people can install and play quickly, without enormous effort).

Likewise for me, as an almost exclusive console/arcade gamer, I'm keen to "force" myself to play some older PC games that I've missed over the years.

The goal is to put yourself outside of your comfort zone and try something new. Even if it's just an hour of play during the entire month, it's a good opportunity to try something new.

QuakeDude made a great point above: people post screenshots and names of games a lot, and folks don't know what they are. It's great to get some experience with older games, especially when it comes to tracing the lineage of titles. So many games today are based on play mechanics going back decades, and as an older gamer it's frustrating to hear people say things like "Oh, that's like Crash Bandicoot" when a host of Sonic and Mario games came long, long before it (and even more titles long before them).

17. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Elvis would it be worthwhile seeing if we can organise something similar to the MGL Tournament like they do have on over at AA http://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdisplay.php/31-The-M-A-M-E-Gaming-League ?

Instead we choose a random game from some console or some pc game and have maybe a fortnight for rotation of new game ? Possibly record the gameplay as an option.

18. elvis

I considered that at first, but thought against it. Here's my thought process: I used to play a lot of games in the MGL (I'm still an AussieArcade member, and really love those forums), but I found a few things were happening there:

Games were being played for score, not for investigation/fun/experimentation. That works well with arcade and pinball games. It doesn't work for something like Fallout on PC.

Especially in the early days, a lot of people would comment with "not going to post my score, because it's embarrassing". Much like modern online competitive gaming, the high barrier to entry required in the skillset meant that new players to the genre were alienated.

For the AA crowd, it works, because they're already attracted to those sorts of games. What I really want to do here is get good discussion going. Folks like HG101 and Racketboy (another two forums/communities I love) have great "Let's Play" series, often leading up to a podcast on the game. What it does is really invites people from all levels, backgrounds and skillsets to just tinker with the game, and post their thoughts. There's no compulsion to finish a game, post a high score, or any other sort of bragging. It's just a way to get folks to try games they'd otherwise have no push to try, expand their horizons, and get some good discussion out of it.

I want to treat this as less of a competition, and more of an educational/social thing. I'm heavily biased here - I hate competition (never been much for competitive/team sports either - would much rather solo activities outdoors). So AA's MGL style competitions were something I wasn't really keen on.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the matter of course. But again, I'm keen to make this as inclusive as possible, avoid all snobbery, and very seriously avoid alienating people based on skill.

19. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Im keen to get in on this - although I was born 91 I only had the luxury of playing an original gameboy (massive unit and black & white) with mario on it, pure awesome, and the NES.

Keen to get into the retro games :)

20. elvis

Very cool. You're exactly the type of person I'm trying to reach with this.

Hopefully there's a few more who'll join in if this can pick up steam. It would be great to give a few of these younger gamers a history lesson in where the inspiration for their favourite modern games came from.

I've got a young (18 year old) brother-in-law who's studying game design at the moment. He's never played anything pre-Xbox, never picked up a Nintendo or Sega anything, never played a Commander Keen or even Doom.

Anyone who studies film in any aspect will be exposed to a huge array of classic films over the decades that stand out as examples of greatness of their craft. And yet my young game designer relative dives head first into code and contemporary game design with nary a look at anything older than 5 year old titles. It saddens me to think that this is how the next generation will be brought up experiencing one of the greatest entertainment, art and storytelling media the human race has ever made - just missing half a century of effort because it's deemed "old".