Rumours Surface on new PS4 called "Orbis"

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by supasaiyan, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details/

we’ve heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here’s how our main source says it’s currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as “downloaded” in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

To be honest I actually don't mind the name Orbis. It could be worse.

3. BFM666

BFM666 Member

im curious if we'll see some form of protest from retailers (eb, etc) refusing to carry it. cause lets face it, b&m game stores make a bucket load more cash off of preowned games than they do new

4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

On the plus side at lease the architecture is going to be roughly uniform across the board at this rate. If they are all using x86 and some flavour of AMD card there should be less issue between platforms unlike the PS3 currently which can be brilliant when the effort is put into the coding.

It seems they are going for Steam like system for games which I would say isn't a bad thing. I say Steam like because it's the closest real world comparison. I'm not against this format because I'm the kind of person who doesn't sell games, however I do buy second hand games here so it would it affect me in that respect. Ideally if/when we arrive at the point of the new system, I would hope we would get locally hosted content as I would expect the size of games to continue to expand.

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i've seen some blu-ray games that are over 50gb, my internet plan is only 80gb per month!!

6. thecondor

thecondor Member

Really what game would that be? from my understanding the largest ps3 game rocks in at around 42gb.

Edit: Yah I was correct Killzone 3 is the largest coming in at 41.5gb.

7. toopy28

toopy28 Member

HE NEXT PLAYSTATION, AT A GLANCE

■Is called, or at least carries the working codename, “Orbis”. :eek:
    ■Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release. :eek:
    ■Won’t be backwards compatible with PS3 games. :thumbdn::mad:
    ■Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure. :thumbdn::mad::shock:
    ■New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded. :thumbdn::mad:
    ■Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU
    :rolleyes::sick:

what a piece of shit, no backwards compatibility, no used games, amd cpu and gpu.
    Definatley will be giving this a miss and wont reccommend it to anyone, probably wont be able to play non DRM content either so would be useless as a media centre even

8. 2SHY

2SHY Member

What is this amount of hate for games locked into one account?
    Steam and Origin have done it, i just don't get the hate for this part. I can see how locking users from buying used might be a problem but that only has been problem due to the price of our games at launch.

PS3 and xbox 360 have varying levels of backwards compatibility, with consoles so cheap now days most people can get their hands on an old console.

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i could have sworn GT was over 50gb, yep appears i misread it

10. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Swapping from the Cell to an x64 isn't surprising given the difficulty they had with ports early on and even now. Using an AMD chip for graphics isn't surprising either, as far as I can tell nvidia are focusing more on the tablet/phone side of things (tegra). Who else are they going to use? intel? The Wii (u) and the 360 use amd/ati as well.

The whole DRM thing sounds very enticing for publishers/developers, so if it does go through hopefully we'll see a large game library to support it. I think it's where publishers are shifting now given the amount of exclusives on the ps3 recently.

11. arytel

arytel Member

Wow. Looks like they are using Nintendo's business model of stupidity.

12. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

What I'll never understand about the mentality behind restrictive DRM systems like the one proposed here, is that these big, billion-dollar companies never actually run real-world research on the impacts of them.

The second-hand gaming market supports them more than they seem to understand or are willing to realise. They look at their little spreadsheets and say, "We lost X amount of money because people traded and bought games second-hand!" And yet that's a completely farcical set of statistics because it doesn't take real-world factors into account.

The fact is that without the second-hand gaming market, consoles will see a DECLINE in popularity and therefore sales. And yet the old-guard continue to cling to these old-world solutions to new-world problems. Forcing a square peg into a round whole has never worked and won't work this time, or the next time either.

13. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Hate is high for lots of reasons.

• Today I can go borrow a friend's game while he isn't playing it
    • Today I can hire a game from Video Sleazy or Flockstuffer
    • Today I can buy a second hand copy for half the price
    • Today I can sell a full priced game I've finished to fund the next game
    • Today I can sell my console and games collection
    • Today I can share a game with my son, daughter, wife, husband, father, mother etc (one copy, one in use)
    • Today Sony comply with the First Sale doctrine (whereby I buy it, it's mine) - well not completely but mostly
    I may have missed some but it's a start.

You really think game prices are going to drop if there's no second hand market!? I think reality won't be quite this bad - because I think there are enough big players to cry foul that Sony will have to give up a little. But it's getting to the ridiculous stage very quickly.

14. Guardian452

Guardian452 Member

As you point out, if games are priced accordingly, ie new releases @ AU$50-60, back catalogue stuff @ ~AU$20, I'm pretty cool with that.

However if the Australia tax continues and we are being slugged ~AU$100 for a new release, then tohellwiththatshit.

FWIW, I have a largish Steam account, but I only buy when the price is right (not one of my games have been bought at full AU$ tote).

15. proffesso

proffesso Member

hang on, so your not going to recommend something, based purely on specs alone? not the games?

and how is it a bad point that games can either be downloaded or bought on physical media? what would you rather? magical pixie dust?

amd cpu - who knows, but who cares? do you have any idea whatsoever as to what the current ps3 cpu is/does?

sure, I would like a 16 core 5ghz intel, and quad sli kepler gpu's....however im not willing to pay $5000 and have the size and power requirements of a small fridge.

feel free to post your own ideas of what a next gen console would be btw, would love to hear it :)

16. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

The game install thing doesn't bother me. PC gamers have been using Steam for ages and the system works perfectly fine.

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

A lot of people are expecting the next generation of consoles to have a similar way about drm. The bigger stores will probably cry out, but if nintendo/sony/ms all jump on the wagon they won't have much of a choice unless they want to stick to selling apple gear. Can't see publishers saying much on the bad side at all.

Games are cheap enough already if you import them but if they go out of their way to block imports then there is a pretty valid point to cry about imo.

18. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

I've read a few articles recently where the publishers say that high game prices are due to being able to trade in games and that if you couldn't trade in games prices would be lower.

I can't wait till the PS4 comes out and you can't trade in games but the prices remain the same.

19. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

But there you have a choice of digital (steam) or physical (B&M) with resale as an option with physical.

Sony are saying irregardless of whether you buy physical or digital you cannot sell your game.

Unless this is followed by a substantial drop in price, by 50% so it's close to preowned games (which they won't), they won't see hardly any financial benefit to doing this.

Sure B&M are making money which doesn't get seen by Sony but this will reduce the marketing capacity of Sony should B&M start to fail due to lack of revenue from preowned games.

It's also a reduction in consumer power and choice which is always a negative thing IMO.

That's why PC games are so much cheaper than console games then as they can't get re-sold???

They are just peddling excuse for price gouging #26 :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  20. toopy28

toopy28 Member

No I will reserve my opinions untill the console is released or at least we get some reviews.

It's not really a bad point about games on BR or downloaded, however I sure as hell don't want to have to D/L a 60gig game which is available online only. But the locking down is a big problem.

I know exactly what the CPU in the PS3 is, the Cell Broadband Engine.
    With 1 single high performance PPE controlling 8 SPE's, one of which is disabled in the PS3, another is then taken by the PS3 o/s. Leaving Six for game titles and applications to use.
    I dare say the cell's raw output will be faster than the AMD's replacing it, the only problem with the cell IMO is the difficulty required in programming to utilise the chip to it's full potential. By utilising a second cell for graphics the programming would have been even harder but the potential for raw power and great gaming graphics would really have been there, but they went with the RSX"Nvidia 7800" due to implementation difficulties. If sony had waited a little longer in releasing the PS3 they may have been able to include a Nvidia G80 with Cuda capabilites, which would have been a great match.

Since they are going down the PC in a box route, I'd like at least an I7 and a Kepler GPU and It sure wouldn't cost $5000, you would be able to pull it in at ~$1000, the price of the PS3 and IIRC the PS2 at launch. Would probably be able to go with Intel Graphics and turbo boost one cpu core when in the "Dash" and fire up the Kepler GPU and the rest of the cores when launching a game title. Either way it sure as hell won't cost the same as running a small fridge, which by the way can cost more to run than a large fridge due to their inefficent nature.

I'd much rather just a decent HTPC with a good gpu a controller and play games on that.

and

I would have expected a dual or quad core cell in the PS4, but obviously the difficult programming costs to developers has shown sony that profits are diminished and release dates are extended, so they have "fallen into the heard" instead of actually being on the fore front of technology.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.