Samsung Galaxy S8- Unveiling in Feb 2017

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by mr626, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mr626

mr626 Member

2. Carey

Carey Member

Interesting, although there's nothing in the article to point to a solid reason for why (internals, case designs, ordering patterns etc)... They just said "It won't be there!".

I hope they're wrong. Phones don't need to be slimmer than what they are. And they'd lose a ton of sales over it - it's not like there's a lack of competition in the android market.

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

It's all theory and conjecture at this point...

4. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

The latest rumours suggest some crazy screen/body ratio...as such a 5.7in screen within a 140mm frame...this of course means it can be safely secured in ones shirt pocket.

5. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

So hypothetically, if Samsung does do what the Apple got slammed for and remove the headphone jack, has there been any speculation about what they'd do for headphones? Would you expect to see wireless headphones in the box, or USB-C corded 'phones, or a 3.5mm dongle?

6. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Rumours suggest 3.5 jack REMAINS....

7. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Actually the rumours are all over the shop....as a former jedi i suggest patience

8. AERO

AERO Member

i got a galaxy s5, waiting to upgrade my phone for this as i dont want a bomb s7, if they remove the headphone jack that is the deciding factor that ill be shopping elsewhere
    curious as to what they will have

9. Treggs

Treggs Member

S7 =/= Note 7 bomb.

10. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Being in the market for a new phone, I'm definitely keen to see what this has to offer. Once my S6 gets assessed at samsung for repair, cost depending I may be getting a new phone.

If the S8 doesn't have that much of an improvement over the S7 I may just get one of those, as they'll be cheaper. Won't get an edge though, find it a useless gimmick.

11. samos

samos Member

I don't get everyone's fascination with a jack. I'm confident in the next 5 years no phones will have a jack, except the Nokia-32 equivalent in that era. I for one can't wait until all the focus is put into super high quality wireless transmission, so I can train at the gym and peace and be metres away from my phone. [can technically do this now, but I want the tech to get even better]

Same goes for home theatre speakers and headphones on my PC. The less cords the merrier IMO.

12. josh_676

josh_676 Member

I've been on the Galaxy bandwagon since the S3, however finding myself considering going with one of the Chinese 'giant killers', anyone else in the same boat?

13. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

The tech to transmit all the data required for Hifi is just not feasable yet for such small devices if I recall correctly an article about it.

Also the other issue apart from losing them and issues of Proprietary is having to always charge them. Wired 3.5mm headphones are passive. Just plug em in

14. samos

samos Member

Understood, but todays problems won't be tomorrows. Battery tech will improve as will the tech for transmission.

it's already out in JB, the mrs almost got the wireless headphone kit but it was $250 with a 4 metre range or there abouts.

My mate has had wireless rears in his home theatre for about 7 years, I am sure they have improved heaps since, but damn it makes the place look a whole lot cleaner and they sound good too (sound coming directly behind you, rather than 3 metres up in the corner of a room is far better IMO)

15. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Don't do it, China phone bad. Although it depends which brand, the cheap yum cha specials are shite, mate had a couple. The higher end ones I heard some are slack with upgrades to the os.

I'm thinking about losing HTC, had the 7 and 9 and over their shite camera and crap 3.5mm ports.

16. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

On paper, Chinese phones are great with 4-6GB RAM, running Snapdragon chips and have SD card and dual cards and loads of features, but when it comes to software and supports, don't count on it. Plus Chinese phones are more buggy because of the slow or lack of updates.

There are exceptions like OnePlus, which have decent support with Cyanogen or OxygenOS, but other brands like Xiaomi, Huawei, Oppo, Vivo, ZTE I would not ever use as my primary phone. As a backup phone if you don't have a lot of requirements, it's not bad.

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Well they fixed the camera in the 10. It's not going to outclass the S7 or the iphone, but it's close enough now that it's not a downside to the phone. Main thing to pick on is how they split their 'boom sound' speakers out to tweater at the top and 'woofer' at the bottom, meaning you no longer have stereo front facing speakers. Stupid move on their behalf.

18. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

That's what shits me about HTC, they're just a bumbling mess, they can't get anything right properly (except their audio amp). You'd think they'd get copying other manufactures good points right. Keep hearing that hopefully their next flag ship will bring them back, just die already.

I'm hoping Nokia brings out something decent. Really want a decent camera.

19. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Flac+headphones make external speakers redundant

20. Anteros

Anteros Member

Has anyone here, in the past few generations of phones, had an issue with them being too thick? People seemed to manage pretty well back in '08 when the first Iphone came out and skinny jeans were all the rage.