Samsung Note 8

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

2. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Has optical image stab on ALL camera's, front and back.

3. Sankari

Sankari Member

I've gotta hand it to Samsung, they seem to be the only phone company producing phones with a genuine edge-to-edge display.

The complete absence of side bezels is very appealing. I wish Nokia had done this with the 6 and 8.

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

humm tempting.. especially with the 1 year free screen replacement if broken..

Also apparently a bonus deal for those who had the note 7 (I didn't).

Tossing up between this and the upcoming Pixel 2 XL.. apparently the Pixel 2 is HTC and the XL is LG and I am not a fan of LG build quality (heat issues)

I wouldn't say its totally edge to edge but its close.

5. power

power Member

6. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Still has all the issues with the S8/S8+, such as:
    - The Bixby button, which can't be remapped unless rooted
    - Fingerprint scanner next to camera hear the top. On the S8 isn't not a huge problem, but on the S8+ and Note 8, it's simple too far to reach.

Then there's the small 3300mAh battery, when the S8+ with smaller screen and same SoC is running a 3500mAh battery.

I think the only real addition is the dual camera and finally getting the S-Pen back with the absence of the Note 7 most of this year.

Still have the Pixel 2 XL and iPhone 8 to be announced before I decide which phablet to replace by 6S+ (if at all).

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I have to agree on both points, especially the inability to remove Bixby or at least remap the button, or even disable any functions. I totally do not use Bixby, have no need for it at all, and on the S8 the bixby button is almost directly across the other side of the phone from the power button, so inevitably I activate Bixby a few times a day when using the power button....sigh.

8. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

Phone is far too expensive for me. S8+ being 1.1k when it came out was the most ive ever paid for a phone and the most in willing to pay.
    This is getting ridiculous.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Samsung doing free Bonus Wireless Charger & Screen Assure with Samsung Galaxy Note 8 pre-orders.

10. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's really just ridiculous how expensive phones, particularly flagship phones have seemingly sky rocketed in recent years. I thought 1k was too much, now we are staring down the barrel at 1.5k :wired:

12. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah its also that we in Aus get absolutely frapped with everything. Fuel prices, tech prices...etc etc. But we digress.

Im still going to grab one, probably buy grey stock. Shame that we dont get the blue in Aus its bloody sexy. Why do samsung do these staged colour releases is beyond me. Just release all colours to all markets like Apple does.

I loved my note 5, then I was waiting last year to grab a blue note 7, but by the time I was ready to get one the recall happened. I have always found the S series lets me down compared to the note, cause dam I love using that pen.

Anyway bring on release.

13. Sankari

Sankari Member

Wow, Samsung has gone full Appletard if they think $1,500 is a reasonable price for an oversized phablet with 64GB.

14. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

$1500 dollars for the latest hardware with software that makes it perform worse than a mid range handset?

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It does.....?

16. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

The tab s 3 with S-Pen was never so affordable at $900+, lol.
    The crazy thing about these escalating prices is it's occurring when meaningful innovation and features have stagnated.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So you're suggesting price rises aren't warranted?

18. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Unless TouchWiz is massively improved over previous versions, then yes it does.

19. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Mr chilled.
    How can u justify the rises, especially compared to something like the potent $1100 Sony zx premium?

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't justify them, they are ridiculous. It's no wonder grey imports are so popular.