Share your bad photography job experiences/F#$% Ups.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by kwax, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kwax

kwax Member

If there has been a thread on this. mods. go ahead and do ur job.

Have to vent a little right now and get some thoughts off my mind.
    After doing some event work and clubbing photography for the past 3-4months and having the time of my life meeting so many people and getting paid to party whist working and having so much fun, It finally gets balanced out and i have quickly gotten put in my place and grounded :wired:

I got off the phone 30mins ago and im just sitting here shaking my leg and just calm breaths:sick:
    Some very angry and upset clients who were after some particular shots that i did not take. I didnt listen to my briefing properly and had abit of a overall lazy and tired attitude and 'over it after taking photos fri,all day sat-3am and then sunday'.

Self esteem has taken abit of a blow and im not sure how this will effect my reputation amongst the industrie. I am trying my best to take this as a big lesson but of course its eating at me.

I offerd to make it upto my client but they are too pissed off to even want to reply to my offer. O man.....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Athiril

Athiril Member

I left my lens set to mirror lock up, so I didn't actually take any shots on one roll which was completely blank :/

3. Awesomesauce

Awesomesauce (Banned or Deleted)

I got asked to do club photography once, but you actually have to go inside on club nights and be around the people so I had to knock it back for the sake of my sanity/ fear of intellectual osmosis.

My girlfriend borrowed one of my cameras just before a wedding, and when shooting said wedding I realised halfway through that she had taken it out of RAW mode. Good thing it was my backup, not too many shitty jpegs.

4. wisie

wisie Member

A close friend persuaded me to take a group photo of their family (8 people) when i was first starting out (2006~). I declined many times as I knew I wasn't up for the job but after being quoted $600 by a local photographer I foolishly took on the job for free of course.

As expected, the job was a disaster. I thought it would be a good idea to shoot with the 50 1.8 at 1.8. Poor option especially when shooting a group shot of 8 people who couldn't sit still. Next was my choice of location and timing. Attempting to take photos in the early afternoon sun when it's harsh left everyone squinting. When I got home some parts of the family weren't so happy with how they looked on the day and wanted me to reshoot their face and photoshop them onto their bodies. Uhhh.

What did I learn? Don't be so easily persuaded by others, look up how others shoot big groups and find the right timing light wise.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. bowds1122

bowds1122 Member

^^^ I think that was more of a lesson for them than you...

6. wisie

wisie Member

Not to put your trust in amateur photographers?

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Dont push people into situations they say they arent comfortable in more like it...

Havent had any notable bad experiences of yet.. have thrown caution to the wind rather than overly jumping in the deep end mind you.

8. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

before i taped off the CSM switch on my Nikons, I accidentally bumped it to M during a run up the aisle with the BlackRapid. Did the whole 15 groups of people with non-focused photos.

Only realized it in the car to the wedding reception. Told the BG and arrange for group shots to be done at the reception.

9. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Ive headed out with a 16 gig memory card which I thought I'd already formatted. Started shooting away at the support band for a gig. Before the main act came on I was previewing some shots and realised I still had the old images on there also ( about 12 gigs worth ). Obviously couldnt format the card as I now had new images on it so I manually deleted about 250 photos - Preview/delete/Confirm rinse and repeat.

Wasnt the end of the world but just damn annoying.

10. Nafe

Nafe Member

I bet you carry a spare card with you now? :D

11. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

That's where you risk the timing of 'delete all' and switching off the camera half way.! I think it deletes from the first pictures back.

12. xenorg

xenorg Member

I've done that before....I usually go the 'protect', then 'delete all' option, depending on how many new photos were taken.

13. SyN

SyN Member

happened just last week

took shots for work and put the photos on the network
    did some photoshopping on them and saved them in the same location

f***ing google picasa 'remove' would actually delete the edited photos from the server not just the from the catalogue. and for some bad luck the server backups didnt have my edited photos

lost about 4 hours of work...

14. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

I had a spare 4 gig card with me on the night but shooting RAW thats only 150 odd photos. Had time to kill manually deleting. I've picked up a few extra 16 gig cards since then though

15. Power47

Power47 Member

second wedding i ever shot on my own, turned up with 2 cameras and one battery haha, didnt matter in the end though, was on the long all the time anyway :)
    i have spares everything now lol

16. hlokk

hlokk Member

Nothing professional, but lent my camera to my brother to take some pics and switched the res mode to low (only needed to upload, saves a lot of hassle). Didnt use camera for a bit til an overseas trip, then found out halfway through I didnt change it back :(

17. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

Nothing pro for me as well.. but I went to Sydney (from Melb) just for a day trip for the Sydney Motorshow. Lenses - check. CF -check. Battery... still in the charger!

Lucky for me I popped into a Teds and they got me a battery and charged it up for me. Yay for bricks and mortar show. Also gave me some time to sit and appreciate some cars without a bulky camera.. Turned out to be a good thing!

18. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

I did that at future music festival at the start of this year! was about 400 photos to manually delete and i was 2 bands into the festival so no format possible :(. I carry 2x 16GB cards and a few 4GB cards with me but shooting a full day festival with 2 bodies I needed both 16GB cards to be empty.

Also a few times i've gone out to shoot long exposure seascapes etc and found I've left the remote release at home, always check for that when i leave the house and before i turn the car on now.

19. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I had the same thing happen to me back when I first got my film SLR.. apparently people assume that because you own an SLR you can take awesome photos of people, its all the camera of course right...

They paid for all of the film and processing, and most of the photos were very average. I did resist and warn them... but they guilted me into doing it. Probably a good reason why I've only ever dabbled a small amount in people photography, and don't really like doing it that much.

20. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Only just started cosplay photography - recently ran into some people that wanted photographers to shoot them for a session :3 went out to the gig and realised i brought all my gear but no batteries.

So i drove back, got them and headed out again.

Next time i'll check my camera/batteries first before heading out. :rolleyes: