SNES Mini

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by Reaper, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Refl3ct

Refl3ct Member

Personally I've always found the original GnG (actually the Japanese version 'Maikaimura' which seems to have a tweaked difficulty) a lot harder than SGnG which, in my opinion, is an overall awesome game. Definitely not easy, but just about right on the difficulty scale to make it addictive.

Edit: Also, just checking eBay, seems people are definitely buying the 'scalper' consoles. Apparently the Nintendo news that they're intending to produce more NES classic's next year hasn't gotten through to everyone yet however :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

3. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I hope if Nintendo make more NES, that the cord length is increased, and maybe they might add in a few more games as a surprise, that would make the scalpers very salty which would be very nice.

4. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. Sledge

Sledge Member

Still not really long enough though... needs another .5m at least

6. Refl3ct

Refl3ct Member

I just measured my original SNES controller and it's around 1 meter longer than the classic cord. :paranoid:

7. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

If you think that’s bad, try playing the Famicom Classic mini.

[​IMG]

Just measured the cord length and it’s 80cm long, hard wired onto the machine and the controller is tiny. The only way to play this is to use an extended HDMI cable and have the console right next to you and power it using a power bank. If it wasn’t for the retro look and complementing my original full sized Famicom I would have sold it for a NES mini instead.

8. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Just bought a snes from EB Online, cant wait to get it. I was rather gutted that NES mini was so limited, fingers crossed they re-release the NES mini for xmas :D

9. Copie

Copie Member

At least the extensions are cheap I got a pair of 3m ones for 1.50 delivered.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Photo from a pretty average Japanese home when the Famicom was originally out. This is why the mini consoles have short cords. They're not designed for westerners with living rooms the size of small prefectures.

(I'm not defending Nintendo here, by the way. Merely observing. They put Japan first, and the rest of the world second, and that's just part of their "charm").

[​IMG]

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

Where are you getting extension cables that cheap?

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

13. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

I have both. They both work with each other.

The SNES cord is longer. But I would advise still buying a controller extension cable if you have your console a few meters away.

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Yeah, i know this wont be great but ill be damned if i dont get it.

FWIW it looks like theres a lot of ff games getting remastered for PS4.

Ive already got x & x2, ff7 coming (although i believe they have butchered it in the name of 'modernisation'). FF9 has also made an appearance but appears to preserve its originality.

I will flip if FF8 makes an appearance

Basically.... i would say no, there will not be a ps1/2 mini when they can remaster games and flog them at full rrp

15. power

power Member

You won't see one of these for some time or it will be much more expensive, people are forgetting how tiny SNES ROM's are I think. (3MB is considered HUGE on SNES). Low costs on the HW is what makes these devices profitable for Nintendo.

The SNES and NES Classics only have 250MB flash which is enough for a couple hundred games at least.

Bit the bullet last night and dumped about 80 extra games onto mine, love the work that the guys making the hakchi tool have done it's really polished and I'm ashamed to admit I kind of like having a home/reset button combo. I might even disable it because it gives rise to that channel flicking mentality. I only had a couple of games not work, one didn't load and the other had some sound issues so very impressed.

Oh and yes, my savegames and save states were all in tact after flashing. Top stuff.

Quick look at eBay shows scalpers are making very minor profits - which is nice, most of these are really not worth their time. Matter of fact they are wasting everyone's time.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...alic=15&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

throw him an offer, it's still live....

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  16. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I'm sure you're all dying to know but I'm getting there now with Ghouls and Ghosts, reached the second level at least :)

Any wife friendly two player games in the included games? Maybe the Kirby Superstar or Dream Course?

Any recommendation on a first RPG to try, I haven't been a big RPG guy in general, I'm thinking Zelda?

17. power

power Member

I've jumped into Secret of Mana and finding it very friendly as it's real time battles.

18. bwen

bwen Member

Can you elaborate on the home/reset button thing? I haven't looked into the hakchi tool much but I'm planning on trying it out this weekend. Games I want to put on (embarrassingly) are PGA Tour Golf and Super International Cricket; games I used to play with my dad when I was growing up

19. power

power Member

by default it applies Down + Select as a Home/Reset combo. You can change if you want though.

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Aliexpress is god.

Where do you think Australian retailers get their cables?