So I've been given a Wii (original model)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by mr626, Oct 13, 2014.

1. mr626

mr626 Member

Hello all,

Have been given a Wii, with a combined Wii Sports / Wii Resort disk. Finally hooked it up yesterday and had some fun bowling (yes I know, I'm about 4 years behind the times!).

A few questions:

-What are some good games to get to play with a bunch of people? I'm thinking Mario Cart and Mario Party (although which Mario Party to get?)

-Any other 'must have' games?

-Is there any point in doing a firmware update if it is working fine? This thing has been used since 2011, so might be fairly out of date?

-Edit, and I forgot to add- any cool homebrew type stuff I can do with this?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. power

power Member

DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU WANT HOMEBREW.

there got that out of the way.

Yes mario kart is a blast (best with a "wheel") and a must have that and Wii sports were awesome.

Mario Galaxy was fantastic fun but not a party game as such, just an awesome game.

Oh and believe it or not Wii Fit is actually a lot of fun with others, needs a balance board though but it does include games.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  3. mr626

mr626 Member

Haha, figured that might be the case with updating. I don't really have any reason to put it on the net then, will stick to offline stuff.

From my reading, Mario Party 9 is rated more highly than 8, so my game shopping list looks like:

-Mario Party 9
    -Mario Kart Wii
    -Mario Galaxy (thanks, forgot about this).

Edit: was also given Wii Fit with the balance board, so all sorted there.

4. power

power Member

Oh and grab component cables to improve the terribad picture if you can.

nunchucks are a must if you don't have them already.

The Lego games actually work really well with a Wii too even though they like everything else on the console look like ass. :)

Oh and while we are at it, Super Mario Galaxy 2 if you can believe it is better than 1, a true classic.

5. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Actually feel free to update. It's still easily hackable on the latest firmware. Some of the later games will need it anyway.

6. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

You may want to connect it to the Internet to get access to the excellent Virtual Console.

7. mr626

mr626 Member

Yeah, will see if I can update it when I get home.

Have got a WTB thread, hopefully can pick up some cheap games.

Speaking of games again, is Zelda worth getting on Wii? I haven't played a Zelda game since N64 days but they were always good fun.

8. mr626

mr626 Member

Updated no worries, now running 4.3E. Can't really notice any difference though?

Got some games on Ebay: Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and Mario Party 8. Still have to pick up Mario Kart at some point.

9. Grant

Grant Member

The Metroid Prime trilogy is very good. The first two games were for Gamecube, if you have a GC controller you can play them that way, then the third game uses the wiimote+nunchuck as a motion controller.

They rereleased all three games updated for the Wii, but it was only a limited run and the price of it now is too high to bother with.

10. mr626

mr626 Member

Cool, thanks for the tips.

I just wanted to get a few games to start us off, and the plan is I'll only buy additional games if a) they are recommended in a thread like this and b) I can get them ultra cheap from somewhere like a garage sale.

11. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Really? I found it far less responsive and when I was racing against my wife who was using the standard Wii controller she would THRASH me.

I will tell you what was surprisingly fun:

Need for Speed: Nitro

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

gamecube controller or bust for mario kart. :thumbup:

13. voltare1

voltare1 Member

Super Mario bros Wii is fun and can be played co-op mode.
    Hacking is easy and backup games are plenty.
    Need a sd card 256mb is big enough and external hdd.

14. power

power Member

let's put it this way, unless you are competitive Mario Kart is more "fun" for non-gamers with the motion controls.

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

I never used my wii much, but I used to like Link's Crossbow Training. You shoot at things that pop up on the screen. Also, the sports game, boxing and golf and stuff.

16. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Use the standard wiimote without the stupid wheel. I tried it with the wheel at first and then my eyes were opened and I saw the light when I ditched the wheel. The difference is that without the wheel it is easier to hold the wiimote face up and tilt left and right which is more accurate for slight steering adjustments.

17. JugV2

JugV2 Member

All the crap I have for my Wii and I went and bought Galaga through the online store and am happy playing that...

18. ipex

ipex Member

i brought a wii just for the bowling and baseball
    it's a fun little unit

19. roamin

roamin Member

my missus was obsessed with this! it was about the best shooter thingy i found on the wii i reckon.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

ooh, you reminded me about this. I've put the wii in my bedroom, I must find my Link shooting game and do that.