Sonic Mania

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 13, 2017.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sonic Mania is a new Sonic franchise game built entirely around the play mehanics of the early Megadrive/Genesis Sonic titles. It features sprite based side scrolling, and everything you'd expect from a retro-styled Sonic game. It'll be available for Switch/XBOne/PS4 August 15 2017, and for PC August 29 2017.

http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/en/game-info/sonicmania/

Coolest of all, it's being co-developed by Christian Whitehead. For those not familiar with his background, the Aussie game dev became famous for unofficially porting different Sonic games to mobile platforms as well as making his own enhanced versions and fan games. At first Sega took legal action to shut the projects down, but after some time changed their mind, and hired Whitehead to do the ports. Undoubtedly he's the exact person you want working on an official retro-style Sonic game, so this should be a great title.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Looks really interesting! Hopefully it won't just be a nostalgia cash in (like Sonic 4...).

The video showed a very Green Hill Zone looking level, couldn't find any info on whether this is just one level in the game or they have remade all the original levels?

And before we get excited let's not forget the rule in these situations:

[​IMG]

3. Grant

Grant Member

Super excited for this, Whitehead did amazing work with the Android remakes of Sonic 1/2/CD, I hope one day he's allowed to do Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well.

4. power

power Member

I was so stoked when I heard he was on the project.

5. dreamcaster

dreamcaster Member

Yep this is looking really good, hope it turns out to be great!

6. elvis

There was lots wrong with Sonic 4. For starters, the "tall skinny Sonic" is a visual design nightmare. More importantly, the physics of Sonic 4 was totally different to previous games, and terribly rushed.

Nintendo have been making Mario games for a long time, and the physics of how Mario runs and jumps has always been spot on (2D, 3D, doesn't matter. The physics were *always* right). Modern Sonic games have totally screwed that up, but this new one (from the short videos) looks like it returns to Sonic 1/2/3/CD style physics, which is exactly what every Sonic fan has wanted.

And again, this is Christian Whitehead we're talking about. If anyone gets this, it's him.

In various videos online (a lot of them popped up at E3) I saw Sonic 1 Green Hill Zone, and Sonic 2 Chemical Plant Zone both re-made and enhanced. But there also appears to be a lot of other new zones as well.

Always valid, but I think this will be the exception to the rule.

Ars Technica played unfinished code, and gushed about it:
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...-so-good-id-buy-its-incomplete-version-as-is/

[edit]

Opening sequence and Green Hill Zone 1:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  7. power

power Member

I just noticed Whitehead is also working on Freedom Planet 2, looks heavily inspired by Sonic and is a 2D side scroller. One to keep an eye on.

8. elvis

Yup. I purchased Freedom Planet a few months back, and my son and I love it.

The first game was actually going to be a Sonic fan game, but Sega stopped that. The developers decided it was worth continuing with the code base, changed a lot of the art assets and continued on as a whole new game.

Fantastic little title, worth picking up:
    https://www.gog.com/game/freedom_planet
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/Freedom_Planet/

Even has a native Linux port, for my fellow software hippies. :)

Very much looking forward to the sequel, especially with Whitehead on staff.

9. elvis

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  10. elvis

Played through zones 1 and 2 tonight, loved every minute of it. Amazing mix of old and new.

The only thing that could have made it better would be for 331Erock to do the soundtrack. :)

11. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

12. elvis

Hahaha, 100% accurate. :lol::thumbup:

13. power

power Member

some high praise from DF Retro

holding out for the PC release, I want that sweet 4K

14. badmofo

badmofo Member

Wow, that is looking pretty damned fun :thumbup:

15. elvis

I laughed hard when the few frames of AM2R showed up. :lol:

And meanwhile I've been wondering all day how I'm going to get this running on my various CRTs in true 240p...

16. power

power Member

I can see the appeal of doing that.

I like that there's a filter that seeks to emulate a 1084S.

this gave me a good laugh - although no disc made me super sad.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  17. elvis

Eh, take that nonsense with a grain of salt. They've got unfiltered with scanlines, and bilinear filtered with scanlines and a shadow mask.

I think YouTubers like "RetroRGB" have done a good job of making people get all giddy about the three little letters "PVM", and all it's done is seek to drive hardware prices up, and make people say silly things about a what is essentially a PC monitor that does TV resolutions.

Anyways.... end rant.

Haha that's terrible. I almost considered getting it, but now I'm kind of glad I didn't.

Although... it's screaming for a Raspberry Pi mod. Slap a RetroPie setup in there with a nice Sonic themed interface, and every 8 and 16 bit Sonic emulated. That would be pretty sexy.

[edit] One thing that annoyed me about that video was the off-the-cuff comment about how they should have made a version of Sonic Mania for original Megadrive/Gensis as it "wasn't exactly pushing modern hardware". A very short-sighted comment from someone who's clearly never written a bit of software in their life, let alone coded for old hardware.

[edit2]

Highest rated Sonic game in 15 years:

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/08/16/sonic-mania-dubbed-highest-rated-sonic-game-in-15-years/

Number of people surprised: Zero. Take note, Sega. Stick to what you're good at, and stop trying to force modernisation on things that don't need it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  18. Discojango

Discojango New Member

collectors edition looks cool, but based on overseas prices, will be around $130AU :thumbdn:

19. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

This has unlocked on Steam today - good thing I've got the day off :thumbup:

20. elvis

Nice one. Give us an update one how it goes on PC when you've had a bit of a play.