STAR WARS - The Old Republic (Please read first post!)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Harper:ToV, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Harper:ToV

Harper:ToV Member

STAR WARS - THE OLD REPUBLIC

[​IMG]

This post has been reclaimed to provide information for new players on purchasing, servers, guilds, classes and any other information the community deems pertant to keep the thread focused on game discussion.

Purchasing

The game will not have an official release in Australia until the first week of March, 2012. There are a variety of different ways to import the game however.

Amazon - If you pay for quick shipping, you should be able to get it delivered in just under a week.

You can also use a US VPN to access Origin and purchase a copy through there, although there are many issues with credit cards/addresses, making it a very risky option but members have reported success with this too.

Servers

There are 4 "Unofficial" Oceanic servers that have been chosen by the community currently.

The Swiftsure and Wound in the Force are the two PVP servers, the former (Swiftsure) is easily the most popular. It also houses the official OCAU guild on the Republic faction.

Harbinger and Jekk'Jekk Tarr are the two PVE servers.

Guild

The official OCAU guild is run by me28791 (Jarrol) and is hosted on Swiftsure, Republic faction.

The following members can invite: Synergy, Jarrol, Haxman, Skorpina. If these members are not online, please post in the thread requesting. Any OCAU member is welcome.

There are no raiding schedules or rules, just be kind, help one another and remember that it is a casual guild - there are many hardcore ones out there if you prefer.

Player Register

Please register yourself here so other players can find you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  2. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I actually liked that about the game. Seemed appropriate.

Mixed reactions to this coming out. The art style seems... almost cartoony.

3. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Sorry to break it to you, but in an MMO, you AREN'T anything special, this will be no different. I can understand how being 'THE' jedi in an RPG might make you feel special. Being one of 5000 jedi on any one server at any one time certainly won't.

4. spoon69

spoon69 Formula 1 Reporter

From the looks of a few of the screen shots, they are trying to capture the cartoony feel of the Clone Wars movie/tv series. I'm interested in this, but I wont be holding my breath.

5. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

That's the point of SWG. It's up to you what role you want to play. If you want to play the hero that fights in the GCW then you can but on the other hand if you want to play the role of the merchant you see roaming around in the background of the movies then you're free to do that too.

6. 192.168.0.1337

192.168.0.1337 Member

The thing about the timeline in the old republic is that there WERE thousands of jedi.

also...

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

also, can a mod fix the thread title? :)

7. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I thought the CGI style really suited the Old Republic SW much better - it was much more quirky and "fun" that the original SW world - everything from the ships, technology and aliens look much better in CGI :thumbup:

8. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

This will be my last hope of a MMO, since wow aint ruling my life now..

Looks good, cant wait :thumbup:

9. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

SW TOR!

I'm so looking forward to this game! I hope it's out by year's end! :D

Been hanging out for a KOTOR 3 for ages but this will have as much content to cover 3-10 so It'll pass with flying colours!

-Lucus :)

10. flinchy

flinchy Member

this :)

class balance better be very good.... though i guess a fresh jedi wouldn't be much more powerful than anyone else.. where a top bounty hunter could go against a real jedi :/

hope this turns out as good as it looks :D

11. Cornflake

Cornflake Member

12. Mofo_Inc

Mofo_Inc (Banned or Deleted)

as long is its not published or distributed by SOE

it will do well

13. flinchy

flinchy Member

planetside?

14. Orion...

Orion... Member

Will there be PvP? I never got a chance to play SWG.

15. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

My guess is there will. All the mmo games have it...wow, eve, war etc...

16. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

SWG still exists if you're looking to try it ;) There's a free 14 day trial at www.tryswg.com

17. toliman

toliman Member

i thought they shut 50% - 90% of the servers. but, it appears there's still 25 servers up, which is good news.

perhaps initially, i think the reason why i thought it was closed, was this

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Chapter_11,

i kept seeing it pop up on massively.com, (i.e. http://www.massively.com/2009/01/17/demolition-coming-to-star-wars-galaxies/ )
    just like i see EVE online becoming 'sexy' and new. it's still space excel, but now, you can get brighter and bigger explosions while you grind for isk. i figure SWG is due for the same shader-riffic updates, but it won't change the gameplay. and really, if lotro is calling their updates 'books' or CoH/CoV is using 'issues', why is SWG playing with chapters/updates ...

apparently, NGE is up to chapter 11, update 8, hotfix 3
    http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=874381

however, all of it is not really important, it's just curious. which is good if you're still paying $150/yr for the subscription.

however, really, SWG is trash.

18. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

What part of that would make you think that SWG was closed? If you're referring to the Chapter 11 reference, it has nothing to do with bankruptcy ;) The demolition thing refers to structures belonging to people who haven't played the game in the last year being marked to be blowen up by players which gives them credit towards rewards.

SWG certainly isn't going away any time soon and is recieving regular updates. Game Update 9 is about to go Live with some fairly big additions and Game Update 10 is around the corner with some big PvP additions. Your claim of it being trash is simply your own opinion. You're quite entitled to your opinion but it's certainly not a fact. Just like my opinion that the type of playstyle TOR is trying to be is "trash".

19. Lord_Sidious

Lord_Sidious (Banned or Deleted)

I used to play, but found that not having any quests between 50 or 60 till 90 and grinding was the only way to lvl was real dumb.

Is that still the case, or are there quests for all lvls now?

20. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

They added a new themepark for that level range and various amounts of collections that all go along way to filling that gap. They also added XP rewards for completing terminal missions that can get you 1 level every 10 missions. Having said that, there's still going to be a bit of a grind but there's alot less of it then there used to be.

Todays Game Update actually includes a number of XP reward increases for quests and missions.