Super Mario canvas prints - custom level

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by shiny1, Sep 26, 2017.

1. shiny1

shiny1 Member

I want to recreate the famous world 1-1 from SMB and put it on several long canvas prints, about 3m long. Looking at the ratio, it will probably end up 300cm x 20cm. Think Geek had a poster set that I was going to buy, but then they stopped selling it. I thought maybe a canvas set would look nicer.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=world+1+1&rlz=1C1GGRV_enAU751AU751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEu8PBn8LWAhVIfrwKHTQ6AoIQ_AUICigB&biw=2560&bih=949#imgrc=F3aIKSC1Tx3x9M:

The extra long one is what I'm looking at. Question is: is there an easier way to do this, and if I just blow up one of these to 20cm high at 240 pixels, will it look terrible?

2. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

it's gonna be... challenging. detail can't be invented; photoshop can only extrapolate, and that results in the softening of the image. here is a quick and dirty mockup:

This is the image in its native size, viewed at 100%:
    [​IMG]

If you just up it to 20cm high (the image in question is about 8.6), you immediately see softening:
    [​IMG]

in this case, the softening (IMO) ruins the print, because it never looked like that on your luxurious 48cm CRT TV :D

there are some techniques you can try to reduce the effect; some people say that increasing the size by 10% incrementally, instead of just doing it in one big hit, will help. but i can't be stuffed doing that.

another thing is you can use the unsharp mask to bring back a bit of the sharpness:
    [​IMG]

when i was playing around with it, i even got it to look like it did when your TV was pretty crappy :lol: but that is probably something you dont want.

one of the key things is, from how far away will people be looking at this? if they aren't going to come right up to it, press their nose on the canvas and criticise every minute detail, it might not be an issue. just standing back from afar and looking at it, people will get it, i think.

one last thing to remember is that typically, printing on to canvas will "appear" to have lower resolution (vague softness).

end result is, unless you can find a vector (!) of it, then these are the sacrifices you might need to make.

3. shiny1

shiny1 Member

Thanks for the amount of effort to trying this out for me. The pictures will be hung up above my computer in the PC room. Viewing distance is 1m away, since the desks are against the wall.

I might have to recreate this level using some kind of sprite art or something, but I've never done it before.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I wouldn't soften it. If you're going to get this printed on canvas, there'll be a softening element to that already. Plus viewing it from a distance it'll look fine.

Subjective, but I'd rather see this blown up pure linear, sharp edges, and printed that way. Any interpolation you do will just make it look muddy and terrible.

Pixel art is a style all of its own. Part of the joy of looking at these things printed is noticing the jagged pixels, and the limited resolutions they had available to create images back then.

5. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

you know what, looking at that image, there's really only 15 or so individual elements in it. it'd actually be pretty feasible to make this in illustrator.

6. shiny1

shiny1 Member

Time for me to learn how to do this, then. What amount of pixels in height should I be looking at for a good 20cm tall canvas, stretching almost 3m?

7. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

8. shiny1

shiny1 Member

Holy shit, dude. Thanks so much! How long did this take you to do?
    I actually want to edit this a bit so that Mario is in his default position, and the Super Mario game start menu is there, as seen here:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jino/?i=front

I'd also like to place the goombas and koopas in their spawn locations. Is that hard to do with PDFs?

9. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Only a couple of minutes. I just grabbed an image online and enlarged it in Photoshop using nearest neighbour to keep it crisp. Nothing special. Grab a 30 day trial of Photoshop if you don't have it and go nuts

EDIT: Here is the PNG before I converted to PDF.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By51SMNDDSLqcDlSR2tJTDIyVjg/view?usp=sharing

10. shiny1

shiny1 Member

11. slavewone

slavewone Member

Oh wow, this seems to have turned out really well for you.

I'm not a fan of the split prints, I just want it one piece. My other half likes the split prints, perhaps that'd why I don't? I did find a few canvas printers online that would do it as a single piece (25x300) for $210 less sign up bonuses plus credit for next time. They probably sting you in other ways though.

12. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Just keep in mind if you do split them you will need to overlap as there will be a bit of wrap around on the border of each canvas. So if you want them to line up perfectly you will need to duplicate some of the print for each one.

13. shiny1

shiny1 Member

What website is this? I would much prefer a single piece!

Yeah, that's the slight difficulty I'm having now. I have to increase the canvas size in Paint.net to accommodate the borders, but splitting 10 ways isn't fun for the rest of it. I found a place that does 135cm max, but even then I would prefer a single piece.

14. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

If you ring and ask they should be fine to do a bigger piece. Those canvas printers print off a roll so there is no real limit on length (only width).

Although if you want them to mount it as well then it might get tricky for transport, but if you're happy to do it yourself then you should be fine.

15. slavewone

slavewone Member

I've been messing around with www.canvasprintersonline.com.au, it let me select 3m, but the next page made is 216cm max. Website is also not letting reduce the image to fit the canvas, not sure if it'd be better as 2 halves. canvasfactory.com.au looks like the same place/software. Under $200 if 20x216cm though

Currently looking at canvaschamp, seems to handle the centering better but is limited to 135cm and wants a triple wide for 405cm. Still only asks for less than $200 for the 20x405cm??

16. shiny1

shiny1 Member

Yeah I contacted them last night and I sent an email as well. Hope they can get back to me with optimal results.

17. shiny1

shiny1 Member

18. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Or Krita for free forever:
    https://krita.org

(Apologies for the thread crap. Carry on).

20. shiny1

shiny1 Member

Couldn't have done it without you guys.

You ruined my life!

Thanks for the link. What's your experience with Krita?