Temperature needed to mold perspex? And laser cutters in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fxr91, Nov 23, 2004.

1. fxr91

fxr91 Member

I am looking at molding a piece of perspex (normal 3mm case window thickness) but need a bit of info first. I will be doing it in my home oven and need to know what sort of temp and time frame would I be looking at so it doesn't melt but gets molded to the shape I want? Or can't it be done in the home oven?

Also after somewhere in Brisbane that does laser cutting, as I need a some stuff cut into my case and want it to be spot on, not look cheap :p

Just getting some info before doing a case mod ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. Kenetixx

Kenetixx (Banned or Deleted)

Im no expert o n this but i have tried a few different ways to mould Perspex
    I have tried the oven way, which wasnt very successful as it gets to hot to fast and all the perspex went white , but was easy to mould. I then used a heatgun and slowly heated it up worked well but ook a while to do , it depends what sort of shape you want to do with it? A good idea that works well for right angle bends is use a toaster if you have a wide toaster that is , heat the perspex then bend it worked well for me.

3. Gazzmo

Gazzmo Member

Is it really perspex (a fibreglass derivative) or acrylic ?

4. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

The toaster is the best for bending perspex, especially the ones that you can make only 1 side heat up, ovens dont really work at all, gets to hot and the perspex goes white and shitty looking, and the heat gun is the best for making all different shapes moulds and bends.

methodMAN

5. fxr91

fxr91 Member

OK. I want to try and mould a dome into the centre of a pane of the stuff which will become a case window. How long does it take using the heatgun to do anything?

As for perspex/ fibreglass, it is the same stuff as you get from places like Bunnings, whatever that is :)

My other opotion apart from molding the dome is to find something that I can use as a dome and glue it in place (the dome section will be getting painted anyway) :)

6. bond163

bond163 Member

why not use a bowl?
    and send the perspex to me :D

7. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

home oven + perspex at bunnings :eek:

you crazy ? :lol:

8. fxr91

fxr91 Member

Because the perspex will still be getting used :p I have thought of a bowl but the problem with a bowl is that they have a flat base, this needs to be round the whole way ;) I am actually thinging of using a collander (spaghetti strainer) and doing a bit of fibreglassing instead. Just finding one of an appropriate size.

And eva, I won't be getting it from Bunnings (it is all scratched up), just saying that is the sort of stuff I am getting ;)

9. eva2000

the :eek: was for the fact you plan to use your home oven hehe

10. fxr91

fxr91 Member

Just playing with ideas atm. This mod isn't going to be easy but it shoudln't be extremely hard either. Now I wonder where I can find some modelling clay and optic fibre (with power module), might have to head to the hobby shop tomorrow ;)

11. shenron99

shenron99 Member

The easiest way to heat perspex, and not have it melt, is to simply wack it into the electric frypan - it works wonders. Just make sure you have heat proof gloves.

12. eva2000

find someone with a prescott cpu and ask if they can take the heatsink off and mount your perspex on the cpu heatspreader for 5 seconds ;)

13. Technics

Technics Member

Perspex (Acrylic) becomes soft at 150C. But it starts to burn at around 160-165C. Many home ovens are inaccurate and can burn Perspex even if set to 150. Your best bet would be to try some small offcuts and play around with the oven setting until you find the best temperature (try 150 first ;) if it burns try 140, if it's still hard try 160) . You are much more likely to burn a large piece using a heat gun because it's hard to heat a large piece evenly. A toaster it allright for making right angle bends etc. but it wont be any good for heating a whole area to make a dome. The next problem will be getting it into the mould. Even when it does melt it is still pretty firm. I have seen clear domes of perspex produced by vacuum moulding. I think you will really have trouble getting the perpex to sit evenly in the bowl if you just try to push it in.

14. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

I have seen DIY blow moulding done to make a bowl shape in perspex.

Get a cheapo neoprene mouse pad, cut a circle out of the middle.
    Now glue it to a board, and set up a compressed air line in the bottom.

Set up a system to clamp the hot perspex sheet down onto the neoprene firmly but not too hard and give it the air, as you use a heat gun to keep it soft.