TerminalVeloCD's Butter Chicken

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by TerminalVeloCD, May 9, 2012.

1. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

G'day all,

I know for a fact that many of you here love Indian food. For those who would like to make a perfect authentic Butter Chicken, here is my recipe, derived largely from the recipe used by Moti Mahal in India.

[​IMG]

INGREDIENTS
    For Chicken:
    1kg chicken thigh fillets (skin off, excess fat removed, wash and pat dry, cut into 3 pieces each)
    1 cup Greek yogurt
    Juice of a lime or lemon
    3 tablespoons sunflower oil
    1 tablespoon garlic (finely chopped)
    1 tablespoon ginger (finely chopped)
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
    2 tablespoons kashmiri red chili powder
    2 teaspoons kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves, dry-roasted, powdered)
    2 teaspoons garam masala powder
    Salt (to taste)

For Makhani Gravy:
    6-7 (or ~1.2kg) large bright red tomatoes (cut into large cubes)
    Small piece cinnamon
    5-6 cloves
    10 green (small) cardamoms
    A few blades mace
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons garlic (finely chopped)
    2 tablespoons ginger (finely chopped)
    2 tablespoons sunflower oil
    200g unsalted butter
    1/2 green chili (de-seeded, stem removed, finely chopped)
    1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
    1 teaspoon garam masala powder
    1 tablespoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves, dry-roasted, powdered)
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 cup thick cream
    Salt (to taste)
    Chopped coriander, chopped green chilis, kasuri methi and thick cream for garnish

METHOD
    To make chicken:
    1. Mix all ingredients together well in a large bowl.
    2. Add chicken pieces and mix well. Cover with cling film and refridgerate overnight.
    3. Place chicken onto a grill tray and bake in a very hot oven (highest your oven will go) for 10min each side, or until black edges develop on chicken.
    4. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces (each piece into 2 or 3).

To make gravy:
    1. In a large heavy-based frypan, add oil and equal quantity of butter. When hot, add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin and mace. Sauté for a few seconds on a medium flame.
    2. Add ginger and garlic. Sauté further until garlic is lightly browned. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
    3. Add tomatoes and green chili. Cook covered until tomatoes are completely soft and break down.
    4. Cool mixture and blend until smooth. Strain into frypan and discard pulp.
    5. Cook sauce until raw flavour of tomatoes is eliminated. Add chili powder, salt and remaining butter.
    6. Add chicken, honey, cream, garama masala powder and kasuri methi and cook while stirring until flavours are integrated.
    7. Garnish with chopped coriander, chopped green chilis, kasuri methi and thick cream. Serve with rice or naan.

SERVES: 5-6

This recipe makes a dish of medium hottness. If you prefer a milder dish, substitue kashmiri powder in part or in whole with paprika powder and/or omit the green chilis. For a hotter dish, add more chili powder and green chilis.

Please comment if you try this recipe. Please note that I cook using instinct rather than from a recipe so the above quantities are approximate. The recipe is easily adaptable for different tastes (e.g. varying levels of hottness or spiciness).

Enjoy! :)

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i must try this one day!

seems like lots of ingredients i'd only use once though?

3. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

The two ingredients that are unique to this dish are mace and kasuri methi. You can omit the mace if you can't find it however the kasuri methi is the single ingredient that imparts that unique taste and aroma to the dish that butter chicken is famous for and costs only $1.50 for a large bag that will last you ages. Regarding the chili powder, the kashmiri variety is used as it imparts a deep red colour to the chicken marinade and gravy and improves the taste while only increasing the heat marginally - it's not hot at all. Notice that there is absolutely no food colouring or preserved tomato in this recipe!

4. ph3var

ph3var Member

What makes butter chicken good is the charring of the chicken in a tandoor oven.
    So getting your oven hot or use a weber at the start to char the chicken will complete the total flavour in the end.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, it looks absolutely delicious :thumbup:

6. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

Exactly what I emphasise for the pre-cooking of the chicken. The darkened 'tips' add a lot of extra flavour.

Once the chicken is added to the gravy, the flame should be turned down so that the chicken does not become overcooked.

7. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

wish I had the patience to make something like this from scratch, that looks and sounds fantastic mate

it's too easy for me to pop down to the local indian place and get it already made

thanks to you I now want to have indian for tea tonite :upset:

8. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

You know, it takes me around 30min to cook everything once the prep has been done. I simply pop the chicken into the oven when I start making the gravy. That way, by the time the gravy is done, the chicken is done at the same time and both can be combined. Trust me, it is worth doing yourself!

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've got to stop coming to this sub forum......that looks just absolutely unbelievably good. My mouth is watering.

HUGE curry fan right here.

10. hoonda75

hoonda75 Member

Cooked this yesterday but did the chicken over charcoal, the missus has requested I cook it weekly :lol:

11. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

I hope you enjoyed it mate. This receipe is very authentic, as it is based on the recipe used by the Moti Mahal in Delhi but with a few fresh whole spices added in for good measure. I can tell you that making this at home beats eating out at most Indian restaurants!

12. renagade

renagade Member

That looks like soup!
    Where is the Rice??

13. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

I should not need to provide instructions on how to cook plain white rice. The best rice to serve with butter chicken is basmati, cooked with spices and saffron.

14. craz3d

craz3d Member

This is almost an insult.

Looks delicious, very deep red colour. Ill definitely be trying it sometime. Where would you recommend the mace and kashmiri powder be bought?

15. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

You can find mace and Kashmiri red chili powder (and Kasuri methi as well) from an Indian specialty store. I have also seen ground mace at regular supermarkets. The Kashmiri chili powder is very important to this dish because it imparts a vibrant deep red colour to the sauce and to the chicken but keeps heat to a minimum - it is nowhere near as hot as regular chili powders. One tip to remember is that you should not blend your tomatoes before they are fully cooked as this will actually reduce the colour of the sauce. You need to thoroughly cook the tomatoes into the spices as directed above before blending.

16. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Awesome, looks and sounds good.

We often make Indian, but I've not found a butter chicken recipe I've been happy with. Might give this one a go next weekend :)

Thanks!

17. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese Member

Identical pretty much to how i make it. I have star anise as well, about 2 onions for that quantity, omit cream and use evaporated milk. Never added honey, or mace, but ill definitely try it.

Garam masala powder is just cinnamon, cardamom, star anise and cloves, ground up. So if you decide to have star anise, you can omit either.

Also, at step 3, i tend to cook the whole ingredients for 15-20 mins. Until the product becomes darker (the smell is incredible at this point), and everything starts evaporating, keep stirring away. After the tomatoes and onions begin to get very very soft and mushy, you then blend it, sieve, and add pureed tomatoes.

The only other thing i do different is i cut up the chicken before roasting it on a rack. This is so the outside gets a bit more crispy before you add it to the sauce. I find the crispy outer layer soaks up the butter sauce a bit better.

18. Bambi_1319

Bambi_1319 Member

Must. Make! I'm always looking for an authentic recipeeee :D

19. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

The original recipe from Moti Mahal Delux Tandoori Trail in Delhi (the place that invented butter chicken) doesn't call for onion, so I don't use it in this recipe.

Garam masala powder gives an extra effect to the gravy (i.e. stronger taste of spices). You can omit this if you would like a less aromatic gravy. Star anise would actually be a nice addition to this recipe and I'll try it at some stage, although again, the original recipe doesn't call for this ingredient. Note that commerical garam masala powders do vary in their content. Most will include black and white peppercorns in the mix too.

I try to cook the gravy for only as long as necessary to ensure the correct consistency. You want the gravy to be of medium consistency since it will thicken slightly after cooking due to the cream. If you cook the gravy for too long, you will need to add water or stock in order to adjust the consistency.

Tandoori chicken tradtionally isn't crispy at all. It is generally made with skinned chickens and any crispiness is a result of the cooking process (i.e. at high temperatures in a tandoor). To recreate this effect at home, I use only chicken leg meat with skin off (since it has the perfect texture, flavour and moistness and holds marinades nicely) and ensure that I marinade the chicken for at least 24 hours before cooking it. When cooking for myself, I tend to use a higher quantity of Kashmiri chili powder in order to strengthen the colour and flavour of the chicken and gravy. It is important that at least some of the marinade is cooked into the gravy (i.e. exchange of flavours) when you add the chicken to it as this contributes significantly to the flavour of this dish.

20. bbjayo

bbjayo Member

Perfect gravy recipe for any vegos that want to try it with fried paneer