The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

50.4%
  2. Amiga 500+

9.1%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.6%
  4. Amiga 1000

9.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

32.2%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.8%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

16.5%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.7%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.1%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

7.4%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.5%
  12. Amiga CD32

14.9%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.8%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.5%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.5%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.8%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.0%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

5.0%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

14.0%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.4%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

16.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

It is a nice option allowing you to keep using the original mouse enclosure, but the price is a bit high for me (though we wouldn't have to pay the 19/20% sales tax i assume).
    Still happy using my Golden Image optical mice from the early 90's even though the special mousepads wear out regularly.:thumbup:

2. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Hi all, having serious trouble repairing an A2000. It has some fairly minor battery damage but I have the fault described here:
    1. No workbench prompt:

Screen goes from dark gray to light gray but does not display
    Workbench prompt. Most probable causes are:

• 8520 U7 Odd CIA (U300 A-2000)

• 8364 U3 Paula (U200 A-2000)

• EM1 1301 1 ohm resistor (R 309 Rev. 6A/7 boards: R200 A-2000)

• 8370 - 8372/8375 U2 Fat Agnus (U101 A-2000)

• 74LS32 U37 (chip select) U302 A-2000)

• U2 socket ​

I have toned out some bad looking traces from Agnes, they make a connection (a stray blob of batter goo I think) and I resoldered them on the back of the board. I have tried to swap the CIA, Paula, 68000 and Agnes. Tested R309 and resoldered, resoldered U37 (not replaced). I have the feeling I am missing something simple. Any ideas? It at least does something, was dead before I redid the CPU socket.

Edit: It has a 1.3 ROM, trying a 2.05 or 3.1 gave me the yellow screen fault.
    Edit2: A keyboard reset is recognised.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. breech

breech Member

[edit] below is probably wrong the ROM should be ok, I found this in [url]http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/downloads/Amigafix.txt[/url]
    Pass or fail the ROMs to the Screen (RED|BAD) (LightGray|OK)

You are not getting a colour error which could indicate a problem with the physical rom (not the data within):

Dark gray Ok Hardware
    Light gray Ok Software
    Red Bad ROM Checksum
    Green Bad RAM
    Blue Bad Custom Chips
    Yellow Exception

try another 1.2/1.3 rom if you can. perhaps the rom is faulty (locking up the bus on access) rather than corrupt (checksum error). Damage to rom mostly occurs when installed backwards & powered up. Clean the socket, reflow the pins.

Good luck with it, it looks like you revived the motherboard itself :)

4. bYrd

bYrd Member

Mickatroid,

I'm doing the same sort of repair on the A2000 Rev 6 I bought - replaced the CPU socket, reseated all the chips, the effect of this is that it's eliciting a coloured screen and accessing the disk drives, but of course I have no RGB monitor and can't see what colour it is off the mono composite :( I've a donor A500 board which I don't know is any good, but at least I'll have some spare chips.

So my next step is to get a GBS-8200 running and see exactly what colour that is. Or borrow a 1084 monitor. I've done some basic trace testing and found nothing obvious, I suspect ROMs (it has some sort of dodgy ROM switcher board to select what looks like Kickstart 1.3 and 2.05).

______________________________________________ ​

Fuelled by my enjoyment of all things Amiga, I bought an A1200 "faulty for parts" on eBay, it's a 1D.4 revision with upgraded 3.1 ROMs. It works and presents well, however two pins were broken on the IDE connector. The seller was very knowledgable but failed to mention the IDE connector was previously replaced ... poorly. I don't know what to think of this, obviously I bought it knowing it had an issue but not that it was previously tampered with. I was able to rebuild the damaged pins, built up a bootable CF card, and getting nothing - just the insert disk screen.

I really need a bootable Workbench 3.1 disk to see if the IDE device is detected; problem is no working Amiga to make the disks. Would anyone be kind enough to make up a bootable Workbench 3.1 disk for me, I can post out some 800K disks?

Thanks

JB

5. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Thanks bYrd, thanks breech.

BYrd, a gotek would be an excellent option for things like this. If you have the gear to flash it with the free cortex stuff it could get to you faster than I would be able to get a floppy to you.

6. bYrd

bYrd Member

Mickatroid, I'd not considered the Gotek drive as I thought that'd be purchased when I got both Amigas up and running, but you've hit the nail on the head. This would save me a heap of troubleshooting time. I bit the bullet and bought the requisite USB --> TTL cable for $6 and two Gotek drives for $28. Much cheaper and easier doing it myself.

Coming from many years of Mac 68K/PPC collecting, I'm finding Amiga hardware and its passionate fanbase to be very interesting. Obviously Mac users of the day were never that technically minded compared to Amiga. This shows regarding the "hackability" of Amiga hardware compared to the elegant design of Mac hardware and its OS. Both have their merits and significant strengths and weaknesses.

JB

7. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Nice one. Grab yourself some header strip from Jaycar, makes setting up the programming pins easy. Be sure to get the pads on the PCB cleaned off though. Mine have been heavily coated with stuff. Even still they can be temperamental to flash.

For the Amiga owning Mac fan.

Still after hints on my 2000. Am baffled :confused:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  8. voyager1701e

voyager1701e Member

I would suggest getting the hxc firmware for the gotek...It does cost but not alot.

It gives hugely better write capabilities (the cortex is hot and miss...Mostly miss IME)....It is supported by its author and it supports an LCD display with very minor modifications (I think the cortex doesn't support the LCD display)

The cortex firmware is no longer supported by its author as there were some who sold his work for profit.

9. bYrd

bYrd Member

I like the idea of the LCD. I'll see how the generic flash works first, and if annoying hxc.

10. DerekP

DerekP Member

I just finished watching Viva Amiga

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/amigafilm/

It's a nice companion for Bedrooms to Billions i think, with a lot more about the demise. It made me laugh a lot more than BtB and i think the participants showed more emotion. Worth a watch for a couple of bucks on Vimeo.

11. DerekP

DerekP Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  12. adz

adz Member

OMG! My A600 is dead :upset:

Black screen with the caps light on. Removed all expansions, still the same, a little reading indicates it's the caps :thumbdn:

13. shane41

shane41 Member

I did 11x caps on a Soyo board today........easy as matey. Can you solder?

14. partybear

partybear Member

On a a600 most of the caps are surface mount, its a bit harder then through hole caps. I did one a few months ago that I bought off ebay as broken.

Someone had tried to do it before selling it off on ebay and a few of the pads were missing from where they pulled the caps off, be careful not to do that or it makes it a lot more work.

15. adz

adz Member

No, but also see below...

I have no intention of trying to fix this myself.

16. shane41

shane41 Member

Got a pic of these caps on the board? Off the net is fine to link.
    Curious on the size of them

17. adz

adz Member

18. shane41

shane41 Member

You want me to cap it? Concrete warranty :leet:

19. adz

adz Member

There's a bloke in Melbourne, I sent him an email last night, fingers crossed he can help...

20. adz

adz Member

Well that was a dead end, he no longer repairs Amiga's...F***!!!!