The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by AMLagonda, Jun 15, 2016.

1. AMLagonda

AMLagonda Member

2. flightcrank

flightcrank Member

the definitive edition would probably be the NX version so may as well save and get that one.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I haven't got a WiiU yet, and was waiting for this title to bother. If it's on NX as well, I'll probably skip the WiiU all together.

Amiibo additions annoy me. I just want to buy a game and get the full experience, not have to go and chase down extra bits and pieces to get all the play experience.

But other than that, it looks great. The full map is supposed to be many times the size of the previous largest game (I hear 12 times the size of Twilight Princess?), and they're promising a more open world feel.

I think the Witcher series has spoiled gamers a little as to what a true adventure game can be, but I'm still keen for this title.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  4. samos

samos Member

WiiU was good, but not many games after you've played the majors

I simply cannot wait for this. But I believe it will be better on the NX. If the hardware is a lot better that is!

Odd Nintendo would release a date but not show us anything about the console!

5. elvis

I think these videos show that the game isn't looking the best on WiiU. It's smooth 60FPS, but I'm seeing a lot of graphical sacrifices made to get it there. I think that's a hint as to the fact that the NX will be substantially more powerful.

I don't think so. The problem with announcing new hardware is people stop buying the old stuff and wait it out. Sony is going to learn that the hard way with the PS4 Neo. I can see PS4 sales taking a nosedive while people wait it out.

My bet is Nintendo will announce something closer to release. They're not ones for jumping the gun and announcing stuff years in advance like other companies. They're still a bit oldschool in that regard, where they like to keep their secrets and only announce stuff to the outside world when they're good and ready.

6. superlanboy

superlanboy Member

I believe they mentioned that the devs from Xenoblade Chronicles X is helping Nintendo with this one and you can really see the influence in some of the landscapes and art design. XBX wasn't perfect, but it's scope was impressive considering the hardware limitations.

7. power

power Member

Am I the only one that thinks this looks like a PS3 game?

Hoping they do good with this, enough to shift a few NX's when it comes out at least.

8. LordHole

LordHole (Banned or Deleted)

That makes no sense.

9. elvis

I'm reading today that it's true open world, and you can tackle the final boss immediately if you want. I'm assuming you'd get your arse handed to you, but that's definitely a design change from the previous Zelda titles that forced a certain "minimum linearity" to the gameplay (not including well known glitches).

I get a strong sense of deja vu from the gameplay videos that this feels like a "Witcher 3 Junior", although that's probably a bit short sighted, given how much of an influence Zelda clearly had on the Witcher franchise.

Ditto for the WolfLink Amiibo video, which had me seeing Phantom Pain's D-Dog. (edit - and marking of enemies via the scanner!)

Although with that said, whenever I see horse riding in either Phantom Pain or Witcher 3, I immediately call the horse Epona. :lol:

Nintendo's MO has always been gameplay over hardware specs. Never in their history have they had a powerful system in comparison to everyone else. The view distance of this game might suffer a bit under WiiU hardware, which I think is why we're seeing a scaled down game compared to what the NX will ultimately be.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. power

power Member

I'm essentially saying a PS3 could run this based off what I've seen - fidelity wise.

Environments in general are becoming more complex and reactive (just look at Uncharted 4 compared to 1) and you kind of expect it now.

I still play older games and enjoy them but a AAA title from a major publisher should be better.

Hopefully they iron out all the frame drops too, almost every time the character turns the poor HW chugs.

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Well the wiiU isn't that much beefier than a ps3 really, and this would be the wiiU version we are seeing, not NX. But I think it looks gorgeous. You could focus on some of the flat textures and low poly models and say it looks shit, but I think to do so would be overlooking the beauty of the art and scenery.

So yeah overall it's graphical fidelity probably is a bit like the ps3, just a higher frame rate and resolution that you'd expect

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  12. elvis

Quite frankly, I love cell-shaded Zelda. My favourite looking Zelda game to date is Wind Waker.

I found Skyward Sword a little too pastel for my liking, but I think Breath of the Wild looks great so far. The colours are a little flat in the videos, but I'm sure a tweak of the TV could make them a bit bolder.

I love colourful games. I find bleak/grey/brown worlds boring and unimaginative.

13. power

power Member

I agree with this, they are trying to go a little cartoony to try and distract from the visual fidelity, when you have underpowered hardware it's a good plan but it will be nice if Ninty could join the FullHD generation - all the times people do Mario stuff in UE4 makes me wish the company would go there. :(

14. LordHole

Nintendo have a different philosophy?

Gameplay first, GFX etc after it.

15. power

power Member

I know, it's still disappointing for me personally I love high def graphics especially when you go open world.

I'm getting so spoiled with what PC and current gen consoles can do.

You can have both (just not on Nintendo hw).

16. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Looks to me like it may very well be Nintendo's best work, will probably get it for WiiU and NX.

Nintendo aren't about cutting edge visuals, they are about art style, I am loving the cell shaded/realism mix they have going on here, it all looks very nice and on the NX I would guess it will be higher res and some AA to clean it up.

If you are unsure of how Nintendo make games look awesome, go play WWHD, Mario Kart, etc, all fairly basic but they look fantastic.

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

It does work though. Today wind waker is a far more beautiful game than twilight princess even though TP is the technically superior game. Beautiful art can transcend modern technology.

18. LordHole

And if you play it on dolphin emulator you can have the internal resolution higher than 2k - crisp and beautiful.

19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I should try Mario Galaxy on dolphin. Ill bet it's stunning.

20. power

power Member

Very true, these days though I'm more interested in geometry, physics, lighting and what they can bring to the table. You know the underneath stuff less so the art on top but that sure helps.