The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. oculi

oculi Member

cheers mutman, good guys was still closed when I went past this morning so nuked the 16 gig (class 4, lol) microSD I was keeping MP3s on, working fine so far.

also managed to get my PS3 controller bluetoothing to retropie, my spelling and syntax etc is owning me, slowly getting there though.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. underskore

underskore Member

No but I'm going down a similar path at the moment...

My mate is in the process of building a 'truck-home' and got excited about using Alexa for home automation purposes but seeing as his rig still needs to be capable with internet access, Alexa & many-others were non-starters and it looks like Jasper with PocketSphinx is the best of the few options for offline voice-command action.

Not really knowing what I'm doing with *nix I'm pretty useless at troubleshooting when things don't go as planned but I think I've done well so far. (I do have one pi for emulation fun and another as my downloader/server so I'm not a total noob, but pretty close)

The Jasper documentation is a little lacking in parts and even though I'm not sure I've got my webcam recording and playback working 100% properly, I managed to get through the install process and am now up to the configuration stage which I'll try and grind through this week.

Has anyone here used Jasper/PocketSphinx?
    Is anyone using a pi for home automation? (I haven't read much of this thread, so I should go back over it all?)

Can anyone help me with my webcam/mic uncertainties? (point to a decent guide?)
    At first I thought arecord wasn't working properly, but then it seemed like it may've been aplay that was the issue as I was able to hear my test recordings by forcing omxplayer to use either the local or hdmi outputs.
    I only need the mic part of the webcam so I think that's working but when I tried a command to test the webcam I was given a few errors but didn't pay too much attention to them and just focussed on the audio.

Besides the Jasper guides scant info on setting up the webcam/mic the main problem I had was when it came to building the phonetisaurus model. It errd as I hadn't yet installed libfst-tools. Once I'd installed that missing package I was able to build phonetisaurus without any hiccups.

3. pantner

pantner Member

I haven't done a huge amount with it, but my end game is to have a Pi setup with Jasper with a Z-Wave module attached so that I can use it for home automation.

I have all the individual things (Pi, Microphone, Z-Wave module) just haven't had a chance to put it together properly.

4. underskore

underskore Member

I feel that Jasper isn't the easiest option around and you may be better off going down the Alexa path if you're going to have internet access...

I've now got Jasper installed and running (sort of).
    their documentation isn't too noob friendly but I've managed to get past the few (small) hurdles that got in my way.
    The jasper profile file doesn't like tabs, so your indents need to be spaces & the default phonetisaurus path they tell you to copy into your jasper profile needed changing so nothing major but still worth mentioning.

So after finishing the configuration steps I fired it up and to my disappointment I couldn't get Jasper to accurately recognise anything that I said - but with no idea on how well the mic is picking up my voice I'm not too stressed yet, next step is to get confident with the mic/webcam setup.

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Anyone else ever had an issue with their Pi where sometimes it's just unresponsive over the network? Can't ping and can't ssh but still appears to be fine chugging away locally?

I have mine running a python script every 5min via cron and it's still running that script when it should (and tweeting the result so has network connectivity) but I wont be able to ssh or ping it...

6. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

I use and recommend Home Assistant.

https://home-assistant.io

May not be what you're after exactly but works really well and worth looking at.

7. birdie

birdie Member

Yup my RPi running Octoprint seems to stop responding sometimes (unless I have a print going I can't tell if it's locked up or just dropped the network)

8. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

That's a common Octoprint thing. Mine did it too.

But you could always check dmesg next time for errors!

9. birdie

birdie Member

Did you find any solutions for it?

I am considering switching my OctoPi device from the RPi3 to the RPi Zero W...

10. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

The locking up for OctoPrint is commonly to do with the the USB -> serial at the RAMPS controller. It can only handle sequential commands.

OctoPrint keeps itself in sync with the controller which leads to the Pi being unresponsive while awaiting a 'done' response from the printer (typically for a layer).

There was the new 32bit controller board for 3D printers that would get around this.

11. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Just looked back and read the original post in this thread. Is that guy a billionaire yet? He should be...

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

No need to panic. Hes cashed up. :thumbup:
    Still seems to be a genuine good guy too